Are you interested in using the hyperlocal dating app, Happn, but don’t want to pay for a premium membership? Good news – we’re going to show you how to get a Happn free trial, so you can test it out.
But wait… Before we point you toward the free trial, we want to issue a warning. As we covered in our review of Happn, the app’s GPS tracking and map crossing data make it easy to find out where members live and work.
That’s an invitation for stalkers, so we don’t love the app. Instead, we recommend using a safer casual dating app, like Zoosk. (Read Our Unbiased Review of Zoosk)
Still considering signing up for Happn? Keep reading to learn how the free trial compares to a premium membership below. We also have a link to claim a Happn free trial at the bottom of the page.
What You Get with a Happn Free Trial
Are you still confused about what you can do with a free trial membership on the Happn dating app? Let’s take a closer look at some of the features.
Numerous Ways to Find Matches
Once you claim your free trial to Happn, you can browse matches through the Explore tab, Hub, or Map. We’ve included screenshots for each option in order below:
Note – the Explore tab is available on the web and mobile app. All other options are only available on the app as of this writing.
- Explore: See people you’ve crossed paths with as well as nearby members who meet your gender and age criteria
- Discover: Browse Certified Profiles, new users, and people who are currently online
- Explore Maps – Find members you’ve crossed paths with in the last 30 days
- Meet: Browse members by relationship type, travel style, cooking skills, and exercise/party habits
- Map: See the crossings on the map
Access More Crushes with Crush Time
You can’t see who liked your profile with your Happn free trial. However, you can play Crush Time to unlock those hidden likes one at a time. Happn hasn’t revealed how many likes members have to get to play the game, but while using the Happn free trial we’ve seen it open up with as few as seven likes.
Once you get notified, you can play. Then, Happn will show you four profile photos, and you have to guess which of the members liked your profile. If you guess correctly, you’ll automatically like that person’s profile and score a Crush.
Meeting IRL/Video Chat
You can chat with your crushes with your free trial membership to Happn. After you and your crush have both sent each other messages, you’ll see “I’m ready to meet IRL” at the top of the message thread.
If you and the other member both activate it, you’ll receive a notification that you’re ready to meet. Then, you can video chat for five minutes inside the app before meeting in real life.
What You Don’t Get with a Happn Free Trial
The free trial to Happn has all the basics, but the premium membership includes some standout features. Before you claim your free trial, find out what you won’t be able to do unless you upgrade to a paid membership.
- Can’t Communicate Until You Match: Premium members receive 12 FlashNotes each day, allowing them to message members that aren’t their Crushes. Happn occasionally gives free trial members limited FlashNotes, but that’s not a guarantee.
- No Advanced Privacy Features: Free trial members can stop sharing their crossing locations, but can’t hide their ages, online status, or distance. You have to upgrade to a premium membership for that.
- Can’t Schedule Invisibility: Your Happn free trial will let you go invisible for eight hours at a time. However, premium members can schedule invisibility. By scheduling in advance, they can keep people from figuring out where they live and work.
Are you thinking about upgrading? First, check out our Happn membership cost page for updated pricing. Also, look at the screenshots below to see what you’ll get if you upgrade.
Is the Happn Free Trial Worth Your Time?
So, here’s the deal. Yes, the free trial for the Happn dating app has everything necessary to meet people online. Still, Happn has few users outside of large cities and the safety concerns are a dealbreaker for us. We recommend ditching Happn and going with one of the best dating apps in 2024 instead.
Written By: Healthy Framework Team
The Healthy Framework team has a combined 50+ years of experience in the online dating industry. Collectively, the team has reviewed over 300 dating apps and is known as one of the leaders in the relationship advice and information space. The team’s work has been featured on Zoosk, Tinder, The Economist, People Magazine, Parade, Women’s Health, Her Campus, Fox, and more.