Online Therapy is a popular service model for telehealth companies thanks to the large consumer pool begging for great alternatives to traditional therapy. This has made the market extremely competitive and even led some online mental health care providers to offer less-than great services in exchange for lower or highly varied pricing.
While many patients are content to pay less for average quality therapy/counseling, many customers want to know that they are paying for the absolute best care available
My Online Therapy is an online therapy provider that believes that the level of service offered should be the most important detail as a mental health care company. They want their pricing models to be straight forward, reflect the skill of their providers, and still make online therapy accessible to their patients. Today, we will take a look at how My Online Therapy works to achieve this goal, and just how well they rank in the areas of usability, service options, privacy standards, and cost.
Overall My Online Therapy Rating
|Ease of Use||9.6/10.0|
|Cost of Care||9.8/10.0|
Pros and Cons of My Online Therapy Online
- Straightforward pricing model than is easy to follow
- In depth initial assessment to help match patients with the best provider
- Accepts most major private insurances
- Gives patients a “tester” appointment to help them determine if their matched therapist is a good fit
- Only works with highly trained and certified psychologists
- Therapeutic approaches are varied based on patient need, which means patients may be allotted after hour access to therapist communication
- Offers couples therapy along with a multitude of other specialized therapies
- Does not provide any monthly payment options to reduce overall cost
- Missed appointments (not cancelled with 48 hour notice) will still cost the patient the full service fee
Fast Facts About My Online Therapy Online Therapy
- My Online Therapy is a newer service that was established in 2018
- Only works with highly licensed and deeply vetted psychologists
- Therapy providers don’t use a cookie cutter approach, opting instead for personalized mental health care services
- Video therapy sessions can be covered by insurance
- 4 Stars and over 100 reviews on Google Play
- 4.5 stars and over 20 reviews on IOS app store
- My Online Therapy has created a strong following and wide array of customers in their 2 years of service
- My Online Therapy’s psychologists can offer couples counseling services as well as solo services
My Online Therapy Review Table of Contents
- The Sign Up Process
- Services Offered
- Patient Privacy
- Cost and Insurance
- Is My Online Therapy Worth It?
The Sign-Up Process
Signing up on My Online Therapy is fast and easy. You can choose to fill in your personal information by hand, or quickly sign up through Facebook or Google. Once the site has your information, you will be directed to your pre-assessment.
Filling out this assessment is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked about your most pressing mental health concern, how it affects your life, and other questions about your mental and physical health.
Then, My Online Therapy will match you to a few psychologists that meet your needs. You can read through their bios and choose which you’d like to be matched with.
Don’t worry! Choosing to connect with a therapist does not bind you to any costly appointments. It simply attaches them to your homepage so you can quickly book appointments with them when you are ready to begin your therapy.
When you do decide to book your appointment, you will be able to choose the therapy option that you like the best.
Services Offered by My Online Therapy
My Online Therapy offers:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Couples counseling
- Cognitive analytic therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Dynamic interpersonal therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy
- Mentalisation based therapy
- Mindfulness based cognitive therapy
- Narrative therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Schema therapy
- Systemic therapy
How My Online Therapy Works
My Online Therapy utilizes a pre-therapy assessment in the form of a questionnaire that is filled out when signing up for the website. This allows My Online Therapy to use an intricate algorithm to match you with the best psychologists for you. Then, you will be able to set up an appointment with a psychologist.
You can choose how you get your therapy. Many users like traditional, face-to-face video therapy, but you can also choose to live chat or get daily coaching instead of therapy.
If you choose traditional therapy through chat or video, the first appointment is only 30-minutes long and intended to let you test out your therapist and get a gauge for how well you work together. If you don’t feel great about your tester appointment, you can pick a different service provider to try next.
The Extras We Found During Our My Online Therapy Review
My Online Therapy may be one of the newer contenders in the online therapy game, but they have some really great amenities and options that give them quite the edge. One of these perks that we love is their “daily coaching” service. It is paid weekly and allows users to message their therapist for words of guidance. Their therapist will respond once a day, which can give the patient the boost they need to get through the week until their next therapy session.
Another interesting offering of My Online Therapy is their free advice blog, filled with expertly written articles that can answer many questions and concerns about things from breakups to grief, and even anger issues.
My Online Therapy has a wonderful grasp on patient privacy and doesn’t utilize confusing policies and convoluted agreements to trick users into giving consent. They therapists only share confidential information in the event that there is a threat to the patient or public’s health.
In those cases the provider may choose to contact a general practitioner of the patient or next of kin, but not before discussing it with the patient. During the test appointment, this is all discussed in detail with the therapist so the patient can provide truly informed consent.
Cost and Insurance
My Online Therapy is an affordable service when compared to similar digital therapy providers. Their 30-minute sessions (for the tester session and some qualifying patients) are only €49/ session, or $58.07/ session. 50-minute sessions are €99/ session or $117.32/session. There is also an option for 5 days of messaging and daily guidance. This costs €75/ week, or $88.8/ week.
The only type of therapy that can be covered by insurance is the video therapy.
|Type of Session||Session Length||Price (Euros)||Price (U.S.)*|
|Video||30 minutes||€49||About $58|
|Video||50 minutes||€99||About $118|
|Live Chat||30 minutes||€49||About $58|
|Daily Coaching||1 week||€75||About $89|
Key Details About the Pricing at My Online Therapy
- You never pay recurring fees for services you might not use
- Prices are in Euros, though you can sign up in the US
- 30-minute sessions are €49, 50 minute sessions are €99
- Weekly guidance costs €75 per 5 days
Does My Online Therapy Offer Financial Assistance?
My Online Therapy does not offer any financial assistance. However, you may be able to use your insurance coverage to help offset therapy costs.
Does My Online Therapy take insurance?
Yes! My Online Therapy accepts insurance for their face-to-face video therapy sessions. Unfortunately, chat sessions and weekly guidance therapy are not covered by insurance.
Is My Online Therapy Worth It?
My Online Therapy is an incredibly affordable way to receive mental health care without having to go through the stress, hassle, and cost of finding a traditional therapist in your area. Their varying services and unique amenities definitely make them one of the best online therapy services for modern patients.
My Online Therapy is great for people who:
- Want to choose between video or chat when receiving therapy
- Like having access to modern, cutting edge research and ideas on mental health
- Don’t want to be stuck with confusing, recurring fees
- Like the idea of having your choice of therapists narrowed down to those who match your needs
Are all of the therapists at My Online Therapy licensed?
Yes! My Online Therapy only works with highly trained and licensed psychologists.
How long does it take at My Online Therapy to get matched with a therapist?
My Online Therapy uses an assessment questionnaire to match you with a few therapists, from whom you can choose. This questionnaire is completed during the sign up and only takes a few minutes to complete.
Does My Online Therapy take insurance?
Yes! My Online Therapy accepts most major insurance providers, but only toward their 30-minute or 50-minute video therapy sessions. All other services are out of pocket pay, only.
Is My Online Therapy better than Amwell?
My Online Therapy and Amwell are incredibly comparable services, which can make them hard to choose between. They have very even pricing, they both use highly educated staff, and their services are top notch. Some users may prefer Amwell’s US pricing, but My Online Therapy has live chat and weekly guidance options that are unavailable through Amwell. If you’d like more info on Amwell’s services, take a look at our Amwell review.