HealthSapiens is one of the most inexpensive online therapy providers on the modern market. But low prices don’t always make for a great experience. That’s why we have taken a deep dive into HealthSapiens and all they have to offer. From the sign up process to their privacy policies, we have seen it all.
If you are interested in HealthSapiens services, keep reading for a look into the company. If you are interested in a thorough analysis of their cost, check out our breakdown on their pricing, here.
Overall HealthSapiens Review Rating
|Ease of Use||8.5/10.0|
|Cost of Care||10.0/10.0|
Pros and Cons of HealthSapiens Therapy Online
- No per hour or per session fees
- One monthly payment of $197
- Monthly fee covers the cost of multiple scheduled therapy sessions
- Monthly fee covers 24/7 access to Master’s level counselors for pre-clinical sessions
- Therapy available over chat, voice, or video
- Pricing is simple to understand and therefore simple to work into a budget
- Limited information on the functionality of the site before paying for a membership
- Cancellations must be made 60 days in advance and refunds are made at the discretion of the company
- Does not accept insurance
Fast Facts About HealthSapiens Online Therapy
- HealthSapiens was founded in 2006 and is based in New York City
- Only uses US based psychologists and counselors with years of experience
- There are no psychiatry or prescription services available
- You must call the operator (toll free line) to get set up with your therapist
- Only offers services through their website and 1-800 number, there are no mobile apps available
- HealthSapiens offers therapy sessions through video chat, over the phone, and through text chat
- HealthSapiens allows members to contact a counselor 24/7 to help them through tough days, relationship issues, or anything else on their mind
HealthSapiens Review Table of Contents
The Sign Up Process
Signing up on HealthSapiens is fast, but a little aggressive. You begin by inputting your name and email. Then, you are immediately redirected to a payment portal that acts as a paygate between you and the rest of the HealthSapiens website.
Once you make your payment, you can complete your profile and fill in your personal information. You will be prompted to call a toll free number to be matched with a therapy provider before you can begin scheduling your sessions.
When your sessions are scheduled, you can access the website to seek rescheduling information or begin your session. Sessions can be joined through video chat, over the phone, or through a text-based chat.
You can also sign in to get access to a Master’s level counselor who can talk to you and help you through your day to day. This is not the same as your standard therapist, but they are available 24/7 and provide “pre-clinical” sessions, which are essentially talk counseling sessions that are not used to create or alter a mental health plan set by your regular therapist.
Services Offered by HealthSapiens
HealthSapiens says they help with the following symptoms:
- Grief or the loss of a loved one
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Parenting issues
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
How HealthSapiens Works
When you sign up for HealthSapiens you will be immediately asked to pay for your subscription. Though many other sites allow you to sign up and then browse their platform to determine the best service for you, HealthSapiens paygates a large portion of their platform. You can see a short list of frequently asked questions and the general terms of service, but you will need to pay the $197 fee to see anything else.
So, to begin you input your name and email, then provide your credit card information. Once your payment is processed, Healthsapiens will allow you to set up your account and contact them, which is how you are set up with your therapist.
Getting matched is nice and easy, and you will be able to schedule your first appointment as soon as you are matched. If you need some general advice or counseling in the meantime, you can contact the 24/7 counselor.
If you need to cancel your services, contact HealthSapiens immediately. There may be a 60 day waiting period for cancellation and all refunds are issued at the company’s discretion.
The Extras We Found During Our HealthSapiens Review
HealthSapiens therapy is a sister company to HealthSapiens medical. The medical portion of the site offers access to medical doctors along with prescription services, which can fill in any gaps from the therapy side of the site.
One portion of HealthSapiens therapy service that we really love is the 24/7 access to a counselor who will chat with you and help you through tough times in your life. This comes at no additional fee, which is impressive because many other services charge per hour or per session with counselors, therapists, and psychiatrists.
Though HealthSapien’s is HIPAA compliant and utilizes encryption for information transfers, they do not mention or list any specific protocols in place for the protection of customer information.
HealthSapien’s also runs comments and communications to counselors on their site through automatic spam filters, but ensures that this information is not shared with third parties.
Cost and Insurance
HealthSapiens has some of the lowest prices in the online therapy market, but those lower prices come with more limited services. The monthly cost is $197 and includes multiple, scheduled therapy sessions and access to a 24/7 counseling line. These services can be used by individual adults, but they do not include any group therapy such as couple’s counseling, family counseling, etc.
HealthSapiens does not accept insurance, nor do they offer any form of financial assistance. Though this can be a dealbreaker for some, it may help to note that there are never any additional fees for contact the 24/7 counselor, and all scheduled appointments within the paid month are included in the standard price.
Key Details About the Pricing at HealthSapiens
- No costly hourly fees or session fees
- One monthly charge includes all available features
- Monthly cost is only $197 and includes multiple scheduled sessions
- 24/7 Master’s level counselor communication included in plan
- You cannot use insurance on the HealthSapiens plan
Does HealthSapiens Offer Financial Assistance?
HealthSapiens does not offer financial assistance for their services. They state that their prices are already bare bottom, with the amount being spent going entirely to the healthcare providers. This means that they can set a base price that is often lower than other website’s discounted services.
Does HealthSapiens take insurance?
No. HealthSapiens does not accept insurance for their therapy services. They state that they do not plan to accept insurance in the future. However, the medical side of their services, HealthSapiens Medical, does accept insurance.
Is HealthSapiens Worth It?
Those who utilize standard therapy on a regular basis may find the services and cost at HealthSapiens to be a great addition to their mental health plan, but those who seek psychiatry, group sessions, or the ability to use insurance may have better luck with a different provider.
HealthSapiens is great for people who:
- Need low cost therapy options
- Do not have insurance that covers therapy
- Like having unlimited access to a counselor
- Don’t need psychiatric or prescription services
Are all of the therapists at HealthSapiens licensed?
Yes! HealthSapiens only works with psychologists and counselors that are licensed. Their therapists also must be from the US and have years of experience in their fields.
How long does it take at HealthSapiens to get matched with a therapist?
Once you sign up and pay for your membership at HealthSapiens you will be prompted to contact the company for your therapist matching. This process can be done over a single phone call, which means the time it takes to get matched depends on how quickly you call.
Does HealthSapiens offer psychiatric services?
No. HealthSapiens exclusively provides counseling and therapy services. They do not have psychiatrists nor do they offer prescription services.
Is HealthSapiens better than AmWell?
HealthSapiens and AmWell are both fine choices for online therapy services. However, they differ in two major ways.
- HealthSapiens is far cheaper thanks to their monthly pricing model
- AmWell provides services like psychiatry, prescriptions, and insurance acceptance that HealthSapiens does not
At the end of the day, it comes down to the services you require and your budget for said services. If you’d like to see more information about Amwell and their full array of services, check out our Amwell review here.