Hinge is an online dating app for young people that find itself in a unique spot in the online dating industry. It’s nestled somewhere between serious marriage oriented sites like eHarmony and extremely casual sites like Tinder. But where did this site come from?
It all started back in 2011 under the name “Secret Agent Cupid”. The idea was that users would be able to connect and list which of their Facebook friends they had crushes on as a way to start relationships that may not have otherwise happened. Before long Secret Agent Cupid was gone and Hinge was born.
After that the Hinge dating app continued to evolve and by 2017 was consistently being mentioned in the wedding announcements from the New York Times. This caught the eyes of some major players and the brand was acquired by the Match Group by February of 2019. The site is still owned and operated by the Match Group today who work to keep this app unique and relevant.
Fast Facts About Hinge
- Site Name: Hinge, Hinge.co, Secret Agent Cupid (original name)
- Paid or Free: Free site with paid service options
- Average Sign-Up Time: Less than 10 minutes
- Paid Membership Pricing: Plans starting as low as $9.99 per month
- Interesting Facts About the Hinge App:
- Had an average of 6 million users per month in 2020.
- 400,000 of those members use the paid service option.
- 4.5 stars and over 400,000 reviews on IOS .
- 3.5 stars and over 140,000 reviews on Android.
- Presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg met his husband on Hinge.