Single in Texas? With such a big and eclectically diverse state, it probably comes as no surprise that dating in Texas is a different beast. Depending on where you live in the state, certain trends may be big or non-existent. So, if you’re looking to meet someone in Texas, how do you go about it? What does the single’s scene look like? Are there any resources that can help.
Today, our team is going to answer all those questions and provide those resources.
Helpful Links for Texas Singles
- Texas Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps in Austin
- Best Dating Apps in Dallas
- Best Dating Apps in Houston
- Best First Date Restaurants in Dallas
- Best Dallas Museums for First Dates
- Epic Guide to Speed Dating in Dallas
- Epic Guide to Speed Dating in Houston
- Where to Meet Singles in Austin
- Where to Meet Singles in Corpus Christi
- Where to Meet Singles in Dallas
- Where to Meet Singles in Fort Worth
- Where to Meet Singles in Houston
- Where to Meet Singles in San Antonio
- Best Museums for First Dates El Paso
Is Dating Any Good In Texas?
While this is a wildly subjective question and the cliché “individual results may vary” is pertinent, we do want to share our opinion on the dating scene in Texas and let you know if it’s any good.
In our opinion, dating in Texas is awesome for several reasons. First, with a population of over 29 million and nearly half of them being unmarried, the single’s scene is going to be packed with options. Second, Texas is a wildly diverse state with a lot of culture with southern influence from the east, Hispanic influence from the South, and midwestern influence from the North. In a sense, it’s a mini-melting pot within the melting pot of the US. How cute, right?
For singles in their late-20s and early-to-mid 30s, you’ll be happy to know that the median age in Texas is 34.8, which is about 3-4 years below the national average.
And when it comes to dating amenities (a.k.a places to meet singles or take people on a date), it all depends on where in Texas you live. As you’ll see from our data study below, places like Arlington came in at 4th for amenities whereas places like San Antonio came in 84th. It doesn’t mean you can’t have success and have fun with a new match in San Antonio or the other TX cities that scored lower, but it’s just not as ideal in some of the other cities.
Overall, we’d rate the dating in Texas as pretty good, but not the best, and heavily dependent on what you’re looking for and where you live in the state.
Here are a few things to expect from the Texas dating scene:
Everyone isn’t a cowboy or cowgirl.
This is mainly for the people who are new to the state. Yes, there are a lot of people who work on ranches and wear “stereotypical” cowboy type attire. However, that’s not everyone in the state. There are plenty of people who are not going to follow what Hollywood tries to tell you people from Texas are like.
Politics and belief systems do matter to many.
Texas is one of those states where politics, belief systems, and your stances on certain hot-button issues may matter a lot more to potential matches than they would elsewhere. Most likely this is because Texas is deeply rooted in history, is home to a lot of people who have lived there forever, and is a place where people are passionate about what’s important to them. Expect this to either help or hinder your connections with some of your matches.
The Texas dating scene is highly localized.
That’s a fancy way of us saying that different cities are going to have different dating scenes. And it doesn’t even have to be that far away. For example, dating in Dallas vs. dating in Ft. Worth (just a bit down the road) are wildly different.
There’s been a massive increase in transplant singles recently.
As we’re all aware, a lot has happened in our country over the past few years. And while we’re not planning on jumping into politics today, one thing is for sure—a lot of people have left other states and moved to Texas. What this means for singles is you’re going to find a lot of new faces coming in and a lot of people who may bring new unique cultures and backgrounds to an already diverse dating scene.
It’s one of the few dating scenes in the country not dominated by Caucasian singles.
40% of the Texas population is Hispanic followed closely by Caucasians at 39% and then Black at 12% and Asian at 5%. While this really isn’t a pro or a con (unless you have a specific preference), we thought it was interesting and worth pointing out.
The MeetUp scene is fairly big.
MeetUp is an app that allows you to meet up with other people with shared interests. Sometimes these groups are dedicated towards singles and sometimes just a hobby. We’ve heard from a lot of people that they’ve had success expanding their dating pool by using this option.
Texas Singles – Dating Statistics
We tend to believe that the cliché “knowing is half the battle” is actually quite correct. Before you can start your search for Texas singles, it’s probably wise to get to know what you’re getting into. In the next few sections, our team of dating researchers breaks down all of the important information you need to know. We’ll talk age, the number of singles, access to the internet, and a whole lot more!
Population in Texas by Gender
- 50.1% women in Texas
- 49.9% men in Texas
Overall Singles (Unmarried) by Gender
- 49.4% of women in Texas are single
- 47.0% of men in Texas are single
Population in Texas by Age
- 13.9% aged from 20-29 years old
- 14.5% aged from 30-39 years old
- 13.1% aged from 40-49 years old
- 11.8% aged from 50-59 years old
- 18.7% aged 60+ years old
% Households With Internet in TX
- 89.2% of households in Texas have internet access
How Dating Stacks Up in Specific Cities in Texas
Did you know that a record-breaking 12 cities in the state of Texas made the top 100 in our list of the best cities for singles in the U.S.? Well, if you didn’t, you know now! What’s wild is that only one city made the top 10 and the rest are scattered throughout the listings. Here’s a quick look at the cities that made it and the cities that are trailing.
The study looked at each of the top 100 cities in the nation over 36 different data points. Each city received a score in three categories that make up the overall score and ranking:
- Dating Pool Score – This metric looked to capture the quality of the dating pool in each city. Examples of factors included are % of the population that are single, diversity of males vs. females, Google search trends for dating in the area, and the % of high school graduates in the city.
- Cost of Dating Score – This metric aims to see how expensive it is to date in each city. Examples of included factors are cost of living index, average costs of dining out, movie tickets, cocktails, and gym memberships (to stay fit, of course).
- Dating Amenities Score – With this category, the study looked at the available amenities for dating in the area. Some example factors include total number of entertainment locations, crime statistics, food and bar locations, and the Park Score index.
Arlington Cracks the Top 10 (9th)
- 78th in Dating Pool Score
- 9th in Cost of Dating Score
- 4th in Dating Amenities Score
Dallas Ranks 39th Overall
- 49th in Dating Pool Score
- 47th in Cost of Dating Score
- 38th in Dating Amenities Score
Fort Worth Just Misses the Top 40 (41st)
- 74th in Dating Pool Score
- 41st in Cost of Dating Score
- 22nd in Dating Amenities Score
Austin, TX Clocks in at 46th
- 15th in Dating Pool Score
- 72nd in Cost of Dating Score
- 48th in Dating Amenities Score
Lubbock Comes in At 50th Overall
- 40th in Dating Pool Score
- 13th in Cost of Dating Score
- 88th in Dating Amenities Score
Plano, TX is Close Behind at 56th
- 79th in Dating Pool Score
- 53rd in Cost of Dating Score
- 18th in Dating Amenities Score
El Paso Ranks 58th
- 81st in Dating Pool Score
- 4th in Cost of Dating Score
- 75th in Dating Amenities Score
San Antonio Towards the Bottom at 64th
- 57th in Dating Pool Score
- 19th in Cost of Dating Score
- 84th in Dating Amenities Score
Houston, TX Slides in at 69th
- 55th in Dating Pool Score
- 40th in Cost of Dating Score
- 73rd in Dating Amenities Score
Irving, TX Falls to the Lower Quarter of Cities at 79th
- 87th in Dating Pool Score
- 48th in Cost of Dating Score
- 32nd in Dating Amenities Score
Corpus Christi In the Bottom 10 at 85th
- 77th in Dating Pool Score
- 35th in Cost of Dating Score
- 82nd in Dating Amenities Score
Laredo Barely Escapes Last Place at 87th Out of 90
- 86th in Dating Pool Score
- 58th in Cost of Dating Score
- 78th in Dating Amenities Score
What Texas Cities Are the Most Interested in Online Dating?
A really cool way to look at the online dating picture in the state of Texas is to find out which cities show the most interest. Even though there are thousands of singles in every city in TX, this is a neat way to get some insight into the single’s scene. What our team did was pull the Google Trends data for the last 12 months for all cities in the state to see which metropolitan areas had the highest search traffic for online dating. Here are the results.
- San Antonio TX – (100)
- Tyler-Longview(Lufkin & Nacogdoches) TX – (96)
- Houston TX – (84)
- Dallas-Ft. Worth TX – (79)
- Waco-Temple-Bryan TX – (77)
- Austin TX – (73)
- Corpus Christi TX – (64)
- Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen TX – (52)
- El Paso TX – (34)
- Shreveport LA – (27)
- Abilene-Sweetwater TX – (20)
San Antonio takes the top spot with the most search traffic in Texas for online dating over the last 12 months. Surprisingly, the Tyler-Longview metropolitan area was a very close second with 96% of the level of traffic seen in San Antonio. The final spot on the podium goes to Houston, with Dallas-Ft. Worth, Waco, and Austin close behind.