With nearly 11 million people, North Carolina finds itself as one of the top 10 biggest states in the country. But just because there are so many people, doesn’t automatically mean that finding love is easy. In fact, dating in North Carolina often more closely resembles dating in smaller states and towns in many ways.
What is dating in North Carolina really like? That’s what we want to talk about today. Additionally, we’ll share some data and resources that you should find interesting and helpful in your search for love and to better understand dating in the state.
Helpful Guides for Singles Living in North Carolina
What is Dating Like in North Carolina?
The first step in finding love is knowing where to meet people. So far, we’ve shared some great options for dating apps in North Carolina to get you headed in the right direction.
But what waits out there for you? What’s the dating scene in North Carolina really like? Is there any data or important trends to know about that could help give you some insight and an advantage? To answer these questions, we want to share some great information about the scene in the state.
- Expect to see a lot of military singles in many areas. – There are eight different military installations across the state of North Carolina with Fort Bragg (just outside of Fayetteville) being the largest by far. Anyone living close to these areas can expect to see a lot of single soldiers (usually rotating through every four-ish years) on the dating scene. If that’s your cup of tea, awesome. If not, be prepared to use your filters and choose your stomping grounds wisely.
- There’s a slight numbers advantage for those interested in females. – There are slightly more females than males in the state of North Carolina (51% vs. 49%). Additionally, more women than men in the state are unmarried. If you’re someone interested in women, this is a small but sizeable advantage.
- Beach life is big, but in two different ways. – While this is purely anecdotal (but we believe it to be spot on), beach life is a pretty big trend along the coast of North Carolina, but it breaks into two groups. You have your Salt-life, surf-loving, living in flip-flops singles, and you have your upscale, loafers, sport coats, and big hat singles. Nothing wrong with either of these groups, but if you live by the beach and are looking to date, you may have to figure out which culture you click best with.
- There’s been a sizeable increase in seniors in the state. – The number of people over the age of 60 increased from 16% in recent years to 23% of the population recently. This means that anyone interested in senior dating sites or dating people seasoned in life will have A LOT more options than they did in past years.
- Over 73% of the people in the state believe in God with absolute certainty.– As you can imagine, this is going to have a pretty big impact on your dating life. This is a spot where filters on online dating apps can really help you to ensure you’re talking with singles who share the same faith as you do (if that’s important). As a large percentage of that group is Christianity, Christian dating sites play a big role in North Carolina.
- Chivalry, southern hospitality, and “manners” are still a big thing. – Even if singles aren’t part of the religious majority, expect to see a lot of people who believe in southern hospitality and chivalry. This is less so in the major cities like Charlotte, but anywhere rural or smaller towns—stereotypical south does exist. We’re not saying this is a good or a bad thing, just something to be aware of.
- North Carolina does a great job of being average. – While this sounds insulting, we don’t mean it the way it sounds. When we are looking at the dating scene in a state, we look at a lot of data to look for trends where the state rises or falls. With almost every data point we looked at, North Carolina found itself ranked right in the middle of the country. For example, adult binge drinking rate (which can signal singles who like to drink more)—24th…Average age of marriage—24th…Obesity rate—16th. These are just a few examples and may give some hope to people all the way across the spectrum that there is an eclectic group of singles in the state.
5 Cities in NC Make the List of Best Cities for Singles
Our favorite things to look at are data because it always tells the most honest picture. Recently, our team look at the 90 biggest cities in the country to see which cities were best for singles. The data study looked at five different cities in the state of North Carolina, with some ranking great—and some not so great.
- 10th – Raleigh
- 25th – Greensboro
- 34th – Winston-Salem
- 38th – Charlotte
- 65th – Durham
The study did take into account the interest in online dating as one of the 36 different data points analyzed, which is why we feel this is certainly more relevant than just a “what city is best for singles” study that fails to include the shift towards online dating in a lot of communities in the US and more specifically in North Carolina.
North Carolina Single’s Population Statistics
While on the topic of data, here are a few more points for you to look at. Consider this the macro view of dating in the city with a look at the population, demographics, and factors that may influence the quality of dating for you based on where you fall into the mix.
Population in North Carolina by Gender
- 51.2% women in North Carolina
- 48.8% men in North Carolina
Overall Singles by Gender
- 50.1% of women in North Carolina are single
- 47.6% of men in North Carolina are single
Population in North Carolina by Age
- 13.1% aged from 20-29 years old
- 13.0% aged from 30-39 years old
- 12.7% aged from 40-49 years old
- 13.0% aged from 50-59 years old
- 23.6% aged 60+ years old
% Households With Internet in NC
- 78.3% of households in North Carolina have internet access
The Growth and Popularity of Online Dating in North Carolina
What a fun question, right? Ever wonder which cities in your state have the most interest in online dating? Heck, if it’s a city you live in or close by, that could mean an ever better shot at meeting that special lady or fella’ online.
The answer to the question lies in Google search traffic volumes. By looking at the major metro areas where online dating topics are searched the most, we can see which areas have the most interest.
The top 3 winners taking home a podium finish are Wilmington, Raleigh-Durham, and Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem!
Here’s the full breakdown of the results:
- Wilmington NC – (100)
- Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem NC – (71)
- Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville) – (NC 68)
- Greenville-New Bern-Washington – (NC 52)
- Charlotte NC – (52)
- Florence-Myrtle Beach – (SC 9)
- Greenville-Spartanburg SC-Asheville NC-Anderson SC – (8)
- Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News VA – (2)
Why are their South Carolina cities on the list? Remember, the data is pulled by major metropolitan areas. Sometimes, parts of one city are connected in with a major metro that is technically in another state. We just wanted to point that out for full clarity.