Arizona is a unique state when it comes to dating. Not only does it have a flourishing young/college dating scene, but it also has a big young professional dating scene, a big senior dating scene, a ton of people looking for serious relationships as well as a ton looking for casual dating, and basically some form of meaningful dating scene for every niche under the sun. That’s a long-winded way of saying that dating in Arizona is quite eclectic.
Today, we want to dive into that topic a lot deeper. We want to look at how certain cities in Arizona rank for singles. We want to share some helpful resources for singles in all parts of Arizona. And we also want to really get into the details of what you can expect if you venture out into the dating scene in the state.
Helpful Arizona Singles Resources
- Arizona Dating Apps
- Where to Meet Singles in Mesa
- Where to Meet Singles in Phoenix
- Where to Meet Singles in Tucson
5 Arizona Cities Among the “Best Cities for Singles”
At Healthy Framework, we love to dig into the data. Recently, we studied over 90 of the largest cities in the U.S. to find the best cities for singles. If you’d like to see the full data study results, click the link in the last sentence.
For Arizona, Scottsdale took the trophy as the highest ranked at 18th. What was most interesting is that out of the entire United States, the city ranked number one for the number of and quality of the dating amenities in the city! Tucson, Mesa, and Phoenix fared somewhere in the middle of the study, whereas Chandler found itself towards the bottom of the list mainly due to a poor showing the dating pool quality category.
Scottsdale, Arizona Ranks Top 20 Overall (18th)
- Ranked 18th nationally
- Ranked 1st in the Dating Amenities category
- Ranked 61st in the Dating Pool Quality category
- Ranked 56th in the Cost of Dating category
Tucson, Arizona Ranks 31st Overall
- Ranked 31st nationally
- Ranked 86th in the Dating Amenities category
- Ranked 16th in the Dating Pool Quality category
- Ranked 16th in the Cost of Dating category
Mesa, Arizona Ranks 43rd Overall
- Ranked 43rd nationally
- Ranked 21st in the Dating Amenities category
- Ranked 80th in the Dating Pool Quality category
- Ranked 33rd in the Cost of Dating category
Phoenix, Arizona Ranks 59th Overall
- Ranked 59th nationally
- Ranked 62nd in the Dating Amenities category
- Ranked 47th in the Dating Pool Quality category
- Ranked 44th in the Cost of Dating category
Chandler, Arizona Ranks 73rd Overall
- Ranked 73rd nationally
- Ranked 35th in the Dating Amenities category
- Ranked 83rd in the Dating Pool Quality category
- Ranked 54th in the Cost of Dating category
Arizona Dating 101 – What to Expect
To round out some of the information we’ve shared today, we wanted to talk about something important—what is dating in Arizona like? Here are some things we’ve learned and picked up along the way that may be helpful to you.
It Favors the Outdoors Lovers
You don’t have to spend long in Arizona to realize it has some truly beautiful and amazing outdoor scenery and attractions. And this, of course, has an effect on the dating scene. Whereas in other states people get a hard time for putting hiking pictures on their profile (because they rarely hike), these photos are the norm and usually represent real hikers in AZ.
Expect to see a lot of people looking to set up dates outside and enjoying the elements. If you’re not a fan of the outdoors, you can still find love and people who like to do other things. Just expect to see a higher prevalence of those favoring the outdoors.
There Are Heavy Tourist Areas
Places like Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Flagstaff are pretty big tourist areas, which is great for the local economy! It’s also great if you’re someone looking for fly-by-night type hookups. However, if you’re looking for more serious relationships, you may get a little annoyed with these tourists invading the local dating apps.
Our recommendation there is to use apps like eHarmony that don’t let you change your location that easily. You’ll find far fewer tourists there than you would on a site like, say, Tinder.
Expect to Meet a Lot of Transplants
The influx of people to Arizona has always been steady but over the past few years it’s been crazy. People are leaving other parts of the country and setting their sites on our beautiful state. This is a positive for the Arizona dating scene. It means more diversity, more unique backgrounds, and a constant influx of people looking for love.
Nightlife is Superb
If you live in some of the bigger cities in the state, expect a flourishing nightlife scene. Bars, nightclubs, happy hours, etc.—the towns light up on the weekends (and even midweek for things like happy hour). If online dating in Arizona isn’t working out for you or you want to supplement with some in-person dating, get out on the town! The options are there.
Great College Dating Scene
For our younger readers who may be getting their education on, the college dating scene is great in Arizona, thanks to a bunch of big colleges. These include places like The University of Arizona (Tucson), Embry Riddle (Prescott), and Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff). Even if you aren’t in school and live around these areas, expect to see a little wilder nightlife scene and a younger population. Depending on what you’re looking for and your age, this could be a pro or a con of the Arizona dating scene.
Population Statistics on Arizona Singles
We’ve already confessed to being data nerds, but it’s for good reason! When you know the lay of the land better, you can better prepare your strategies for success. This statement couldn’t be more true than it is with dating in Arizona!
Below, we’ve compiled some information about the singles scene in the state. Hopefully, this information gives you a little insight into what you’re working with out there.
A few things that stand out that are important include:
- There’s nearly an even split of men and women in the state of Arizona.
- Over half of the population is currently unmarried.
- Arizona has a slightly younger population than the rest of the country.
Total State Population
- 63.1 people per square mile
Population in Arizona by Gender
- 50.3% women
- 49.7% of men
Overall Singles by Gender (Unmarried)
- 51.8% of women in Arizona are single
- 50.4% of men in Arizona are single
Population in Arizona by Age
- The median age of people in the state is 37.9 (national average is 38.2).
- 14.0% aged from 20-29 years old
- 12.9% aged from 30-39 years old
- 12.0% aged from 40-49 years old
- 12.0% aged from 50-59 years old
- 23.6% aged 60+
% Households with Internet in AZ
- 81.8% of households in Arizona have internet access