While we don’t actually know what the word Zoosk means, we do know quite a bit about this popular dating site. With over 35 million members, 30 million+ downloads, and 3 million+ messages sent every day, Zoosk is one of the most popular dating sites on the market.
But is Zoosk the right dating site for you? Is Zoosk legit? How does it all work? If you’re looking for the answers to these questions, you’re right where you need to be.
In our Zoosk reviews, the team breaks down all the details you need to know to figure out if it’s a match made in heaven or time to try a different dating app.
Is Zoosk Legit? – The Bottom Line Upfront
Zoosk is legit. It might not be as feature-rich of an online dating site as something like eHarmony, but it has a ton of members, some great matching tools, and a track record of helping connect people.
Zoosk scored a 9.5 out of 10 points overall, with the highest marks coming in Quality of Matches, Cost, and Ease of Use.
If you’re looking for the bottom line upfront, Zoosk is a great fit for casual dating, finding a serious relationship, and there are some people on there just looking to hook up. It seems to be a healthy mix of all three. If you are looking for a dating site 100% dedicated to serious relationships, though, check out our list of the best dating apps for relationships.
- Biggest Pro – Over 35 million accounts and over 3 million messages sent daily. If you’re worried about finding someone you like online, it’s nearly impossible with this many options (and at such an affordable price).
- Biggest Drawback – If you are set on something like a serious relationship only, you may get messages from people who are looking for more casual dating. As long as you’re okay with having to click delete a few times, it’s no big deal.
The bottom line answer to whether or not Zoosk is legit is that it absolutely is. It’s nice to see a dating site that has a little something for everyone AND they let you search through your matches before you have to even think about upgrading to a paid account. If you’d like to check things out, we’ve got a link below that will get you started with that free trial account right now.
Overall Zoosk Rating
|Ease of Use||9.6/10.0|
Pros and Cons of the Zoosk Dating App
- Over 35 million+ singles with accounts
- 3 million+ messages sent daily (on average)
- Swipe-like feature to meet singles in your area
- Very affordable membership plan options
- #1 grossing dating app in the Apple App Store
- Available in over 80 countries in 25 different languages
- No requirement to fill out most profile information which leads to some incomplete profiles in the search (they are removed quickly, though)
- Some people may feel overwhelmed with so many options to choose from (learning to use the features will take care of this)
Zoosk Reviews – Table of Contents
- What is Zoosk?
- How Does Zoosk Work?
- The Sign-Up Process
- Are there good, quality matches on Zoosk?
- How easy is the site to use?
- Are there any great features?
- Tell me about customer support.
- Price | How much does Zoosk cost?
- Is Zoosk worth it?
- Zoosk Alternatives
Feel like kicking back and letting us do the hard work? If you’d rather watch the Zoosk review, check out the video we’ve put together for you here that outlines all the details you need to know.
Fast Facts About Zoosk
- Site Name: Zoosk
- Paid or Free: Paid site with a limited free trial
- Average Sign-Up Time: Under 5 minutes
- Paid Membership Pricing: Plans starting as low as around $12 per month
- Unique Zoosk Facts and Figures:
- Founded in 2007 in Fremont, California
- Over 3 million + messages sent on average every day
- Part of the Spark Network group of dating sites
- A good mix of people looking for all kinds of relationships
- Over 10 billion profile views since 2018
- Over 2 billion messages sent since 2018
- 580,000 daily average users in 2021
What is Zoosk?
Zoosk, founded in 2007, is a California-based online dating app that’s been servicing US-based and international clients for over a decade and a half. The site is available through desktop, Google Play, and the Apple App Store (where it’s the #1 grossing online dating app in the world).
Where Zoosk really shines and the answer to ‘what is Zoosk’ can be summed up in one word—options. With over 35 million user accounts and 3 million+ messages sent every day (average), you’ll be like a kid in a candy store when it comes to options. Because of the wide approach Zoosk takes, you’ll find single men and single women looking for everything from casual dating to serious relationships to everything in between.
What Countries is Zoosk Available In?
Currently, Zoosk operates in over 80 countries and can be translated into 25 different languages. The largest Zoosk market is the United States, followed by France, Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom (in that order). Here’s a breakdown of all of the Spark Network brands by country:
How Does Zoosk Work?
Unlike the latest craze of swipe-style dating apps hitting the market, Zoosk follows a traditional online dating app approach. Users create profiles, upload photos, answer questions about themselves, and share what they’re looking for in a relationship. This information if used to show you matches that Zoosk thinks will be a good fit for you. If you see someone you like, you can send them a message!
That all being said, Zoosk does have a swipe dating feature in case that’s something you’re looking for, though, it’s not the focal point of the operation.
Regarding the types of relationships Zoosk is best for, it actually offers you the ability to select from one of six different options including friendship, short-term dating, long-term dating, hookups, I don’t know yet, or other.
The Sign-Up Process
The first stop in our Zoosk review is the sign-up process. It shouldn’t take you more than about five minutes to get your account set up. Zoosk starts by asking you eight questions to start filling out your profile before you can start searching through matches.
- Where Do You Live?
- Upload a Picture (You can skip this step)
- What is Your Body Type?
- Do You Have Children?
- What’s Your Highest Level of Education?
- What’s Your Ethnicity?
- What’s Your Height?
- What’s Your Religion?
Once you complete these questions, you’re taken to your first match! Again, the entire process takes about five minutes max and immediately takes you to matches. You aren’t required to input any payment methods or credit cards or anything like that during the free trial sign up through the links we’ve provided on this page.
Are there good quality matches on Zoosk?
The next stop, and arguably the most important part of our Zoosk reviews, is the quality (and quantity) of the matches. For quantity, Zoosk is a slam dunk. With over 35 million members, it’s hard to find anything negative to say about that.
As for the quality of the members we found during our Zoosk review, we were overall pretty pleased. The majority of the profiles we saw were filled out and had pictures. We ran into a few people that were a little light in their responses, but it’s totally up to you how you choose to fill out your profile (and how much effort you put into it).
And now for the lightning round from our reviews of Zoosk:
- Were there members from all age brackets? Yes. The majority of members seemed to be from around 18 to 45. There were users who were older than this, just not quite as many. That being said, Zoosk for seniors is really starting to grow in popularity as shown by some recent Google search trends data.
- Were the members on Zoosk attractive? We think so! While this is subjective, we saw a lot of men and women who were easy on the eyes and seemed to have a lot of good things going for them.
- Were the members on Zoosk active? While we’d like to be able to see a note on each profile that says when they were last active, it’s not a feature on Zoosk. However, you can click on the section that shows “Online Now,” and you can be pretty dang sure those people are still active. Update: Zoosk now shows if a person was recently online on their profile 🙂
Here’s what the profiles on Zoosk look like. We’ve blurred out the information, but you’ll be able to see all of that when you sign up.
One other question we get asked a lot is whether there is a good mix of men and women on Zoosk. On pretty much any online dating app that offers heterosexual dating, you are going to have no problems finding men. It’s usually the number of women where there may be issues.
Thankfully, Zoosk has always had a great mix of both sexes, and has actually seen a big increase in the number of female members recently. According to the company, female paid subscriptions increased by an impressive 14% since just last year! And on top of that, total new subscribers have grown by 15% since last year!
This means that Zoosk is continuing to gather new singles to add to its already impressive numbers of high quality options for you to meet and connect with.
Want to check for yourself? The neat part about the Zoosk free trial (linked below) is that you can see all the matches in your area, their complete profiles, and their photos!
How easy is the site to use?
We found the site super easy to use during our Zoosk reviews. There are clearly defined menus, everything is laid out intelligently, and it all looks great on mobile and your computer. Here are some of the takeaways on the ease of use of the site:
- The Zoosk app can be used on your desktop, tablet, or through an app on your iOS or Android device.
- The Carousel feature is one of the best ways to see your matches quickly. This is Zoosk’s swipe-style feature.
- Zoosk utilizes a well-laid-out menu approach, so that you never have to hunt for the section or feature that you’re looking for.
The bottom line is that Zoosk shines in it’s flexibility, versatility, and ease of use. Whether you’re a technology whiz or you’re new to all of this, you’ll find your ability to have a positive experience greatly enhanced by Zoosk’s layout and functionality.
Here’s what the Zoosk menu looks like if you’re accessing the website version from your phone:
Are there any great features?
Zoosk has always been fairly feature rich! However, recently after being acquired by Spark Networks, the company has worked hard to continue developing current features and deploying new ones. Here are some of our favorite Zoosk features and how they work.
- Zoosk Great Dates
- Zoosk Live
- SmartPick Technology
- Carousel Feature
- Four Forms of Verification
- Zoosk Coin Boosts
- Super Sends
Zoosk Great Dates
Launched in late 2021/early 2022, Zoosk Great Dates is a pretty unique concept in virtual live dating. Here’s how it works. When you want to go on a virtual date with someone, you connect through Zoosk via video chat. You’re both shown the other person on the screen, but you’re also shown a unique place in the world on the screen as well. You both can choose where to “go” on this virtual date and what you want to see next.
It might sound kind of weird, but it’s actually pretty neat. It allows you to check out unique parts of the world virtually while discussing what you’re seeing with your new match.
- First of it’s kind interactive dating
- Destination options include Japan, Italy, and Greece
- Officially launched December 6, 2021
- Comes free with a regular paid subscription
- Unique way to connect with someone new from the comfort of your home
Here are some screenshots as to what it looks like!
Video dating is the latest craze as a result of the recent worldwide events, and it’s something that we’re starting to see implemented into platforms directly. The first to do something like this was eHarmony, but the latest to join the craze is Zoosk with Zoosk Live!
According to the company, Zoosk Live (which is a way for you to “go live” by sharing a live feed of them from their phone or computer where other people can watch, chat, and send messages) is used by over 10,000 users daily! This feature won’t be for everyone, but if you love a lot of things like TikTok, Facebook Live, or any other major streaming platform—you’ll probably enjoy this
The heart and soul of the Zoosk platform is the SmartPick technology. It’s the company’s algorithm that has a pretty good track record of helping people find love. Part of taking advantage of online dating is letting technology do what it does best. After you create your account, you can click on this from the menu and see the matches they think are best suited for you.
Like the swipe-style method of looking through matches? If you do, our Zoosk review revealed that the dating site has just that for you. It’s called Carousel. And you know what? It works just like Tinder but with a different dating pool.
If you like them, give them the green checkmark. If you don’t like them, give them the red X. and If you really like them, click the gold star! If two people click that they like each other, then Zoosk will let you both know. It gives new meaning to the phrase ‘clicking with someone.’
Four Forms of Verification
A big fear that comes with online dating is that there are going to be a lot of fake profiles. Zoosk allows singles to verify they are who they say they are through Facebook, Twitter, phone (SMS), and by manually approving pictures. While this system isn’t perfect, it’s way better than dating sites that do nothing.
Oh, and if you’re worried that Zoosk is going to post on your Facebook or Twitter, don’t worry; that’s not going to happen. The verification is only used to make sure you are who you say you are, which will increase your success on the site.
You are able to pay a few bucks extra and get coins (known as Zoosk coins) that allow you to buy gifts for other members. No, these aren’t real gifts; they’re just digital pictures/emojis that show up on the person’s profile. While they can’t do anything tangible with the gift, it does show an added layer of interest. If you want to put yourself right in their line of sight ahead of other singles, ‘gifts’ is a nice feature to use.
Zoosk Coin Boosts
Zoosk coins can be used for more than gifts; they can be used for profile boosts. This allows you to pay a few bucks and get your profile to the top of searches for a period of time. This can really help to turbocharge the number of messages you get and the number of other singles that take a look at your profile.
- $19.95 – 180 coins
- $39.95 – 480 coins
- $99.95 – 1,800 coins
This is a newer feature that Zoosk implemented that allows you to send a lot of messages to a bunch of people at once to break the ice. While this might be great for some people, we’re not really huge fans of it as it promotes cookie-cutter messaging. However, if you’re really looking to get out there and meet people fast, you may be a fan of it! This is purchased through Zoosk boost coins.
By using coins, you can boost your profile to get up to 3 times more views by getting to the top of searches and people’s match feeds.
Tell me about customer support.
You’ve got two options for customer support that we found during our comprehensive Zoosk reviews—contact form and FAQs. The contact form is a bit tough to find, but it gets you in direct contact with the Zoosk customer support team. While we’d like to see a live chat or phone option, the team still does a great job of answering questions and solving issues.
And speaking of answering questions, Zoosk has one of the most expansive frequently asked questions sections to help answer all of the most common (and some obscure) questions.
Price | How much does Zoosk cost?
Compared with the rest of the online dating industry, Zoosk is very affordable. Below, you’ll find the most up to date list of pricing.
|Membership||Term||Price Per Month||Total Price|
If you’d like to see a complete breakdown of Zoosk pricing, including different plans, features, payment options, and more, check out our dedicated Zoosk cost page.
Here are a few of the key takeaways:
- Memberships are available in 1, 3, or 6-month increments
- The longer the term you sign up for, the more you save
- Zoosk also sells coins for things like profile boosts and gifts
- You get all features with every membership, except for the gifts and boosts. There is only one membership level.
Is Zoosk worth it?
If you’re looking for a good “middle of the road” dating option that perfectly balances effectiveness and affordability, Zoosk is the perfect fit. It doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles of the top sites like eHarmony, but it’s got plenty of tools to help you meet that special someone. And if we’re being honest, the fact that there are over 35 million members sending over 3 million messages a day should be plenty to get you excited about the site.
Here’s what we recommend. Use the links we’ve provided and take advantage of the free trial. Answer the sign-up questions and start searching for singles in your area. If you see people you may be interested in, upgrade to a paid account. If you don’t, come back and give another site a try.
Zoosk does a great job as a one-size-fits all solution with an incredibly large number of singles for people to choose from. However, sometimes an option that tries to be everything to everyone ends up missing the mark. While we think for most people this isn’t at all the case with Zoosk, it’s possible you’re just not feeling it. And if that’s the case, that’s okay.
If that’s you, we want to get you pointed in a more appropriate direction. Here are some of our favorite Zoosk alternatives that you may want to consider if you’re not feeling things with this option.
- eHarmony – Zoosk is a dating app that caters to all different relationship goals. This includes people who are looking for Mr. and Mrs. Right, and those who are looking for Mr. and Mrs. Right Now. If you are set on finding a serious relationship that could turn into a committed relationship (and maybe even marriage down the line), then you might want consider eHarmony as a Zoosk alternative. While you can still find long-term dating on Zoosk, eHarmony is 100% designed for facilitating those types of relationships.
- Elite Singles – If intelligence and success are things you find attractive, you will be able to find people that fit that bill at Zoosk. However, with Zoosk being everything to everyone, you will also find some people who don’t fit that bill. If that’s bugging you, a great Zoosk alternative to consider is Elite Singles. This dating app caters specifically to the educated, successful, and goal-oriented singles of the world. Over 85% of the members have an above-average level of education, which means smart singles waiting to connect.
- SilverSingles – Zoosk has made a lot of recent changes after getting acquired by Spark Networks in 2019. And while these changes all are for the better, they to tend to favor the likes and trends of the younger crowds. If you’re 50 years and older and just want a traditional dating app experience without any of the bells and whistles, you may want to try out SilverSingles. This senior dating site doesn’t let anyone in who isn’t at least 50 years old, and has one of the simplest but effective approaches to traditional online dating.
Is Zoosk free?
You can get a free trial account for Zoosk through the links we’ve provided. However, if you want access to all of the features that Zoosk offers, you will need to pay to upgrade your membership.
Is Zoosk a good dating site?
Yes, Zoosk is a good dating site for a “middle of the road” option. This means there are plenty of great singles, and the site is affordable, but you don’t quite get as many features as you do with the higher-priced memberships.
Are Zoosk views fake?
No, Zoosk views are not fake. If you’re told that a member looked at your profile, they did. The only information not shown is how long that person looked at your profile. It’s our understanding that even quick glances count in this total.
Are there fake profiles on Zoosk?
Every dating app under the sun is going to have some fake profiles; the real questions are to what degree (how many) and how long do those profiles stay on there. We can tell you that in our experience, the moderators at Zoosk do a fantastic job pruning out fake profiles quickly. In fact, the profiles that we used to test and complete our Zoosk reviews have all been removed by moderations (which is annoying for us but an amazing sign for users).
Is Zoosk better than Tinder?
Zoosk offers the same swipe-style dating options like Tinder, but also offers traditional online dating. If you’re only looking for hookups, you’ll have better luck with Tinder. However, if you are looking for dating or a serious relationship, Zoosk is better than Tinder.
Is Zoosk just a hookup site?
No, Zoosk is not just a hookup site. That being said, there are quite a few users who are on the site looking to find people for casual dating. There are also plenty of users looking for more serious and committed relationships, as well. With 35 million users, you’re going to get people looking for relationship types all over the spectrum.
Is Zoosk safe?
The staff at Zoosk do quite a bit to ensure your safety when using the app. That being said, it’s still always important that you do your part to stay safe. A car manufacturer can make the safest car on the planet but if you drive it 100 mph without a seat belt on, that all goes out the window.
Written By: Jason Lee
Jason Lee is a data analyst with a passion for studying online dating, relationships, personal growth, healthcare, and finance. In 2008, Jason earned a Bachelors of Science from the University of Florida, where he studied business and finance and taught interpersonal communication.
His work has been featured in the likes of The USA Today, MSN, NBC, FOX, The Motley Fool, Net Health, and The Simple Dollar. As a business owner, relationship strategist, dating coach, and US Army Veteran, Jason enjoys sharing his unique knowledge base with the rest of the world.
Jason has worked in the online dating industry for over 10 years and has personally reviewed over 200 different dating apps and dating websites and continues to be a leading voice in the relationship and dating community, both online and in person.