Let’s be real, Tinder does not have the best reputation in the dating app world. The app is well-known to be inundated with fake accounts and users who use any means necessary to try and receive sexually explicit communications. In fact, if you don’t like being greeted with nude photos, you’ve probably been avoiding Tinder.
We want to give the app a fair shot, though, during our Tinder reviews (because that’s how we roll). What changes in moderation or features have they made to address user concerns? Do they have other notable traits that make them worth your while? Today, we are looking at everything Tinder has to offer and determining if they are worth your time.
Is Tinder Worth It? – The Bottom Line Upfront
If you are a young single (18-30) and looking for hookups or casual romance, then yes, Tinder was basically built for you. We even think the paid features can be worth it for those people.
However, if you are wanting a serious relationship, are a single over the age of 30, prefer compatibility-based matching, or don’t want to have to pay to get unlimited “liking,” Tinder is definitely not the app for you.
Who Tinder Is Good For
- Singles looking for casual hookups or friendship
- People looking to meet new people while away from home
- Younger singles (18-30)
Who Tinder Might Not Be Best For
- Singles over the age of 30
- Singles seeking serious, long-term relationships
- Those who want to choose their matches based on more than a picture
Thinking Tinder Might not be the dating app for you? In this section we’ll be looking at apps that might be better alternatives. All the apps listed on the table below were rated higher than Tinder by our team, and also have swipe-style dating features if that’s what you’re looking for.
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link||Swipe Feature||Review Rating|
|#2||eHarmony||Free Trial||What If||9.8/10.0|
|#3||Elite Singles||Free Trial||Have You Met?||9.7/10.0|
|#4||Christian Mingle||Free Trial||LookBook||9.6/10.0|
Overall Tinder Reviews Rating
|Ease of Use||10.0/10.0|
Pros and Cons of the Tinder Dating App
- Super easy to use
- Fantastic for casual relationships
- There is a free membership option
- Free members are limited on swipes (likes)
- The app does not work well for serious relationships
- The app heavily incentivizes paid subscriptions
Fast Facts About Tinder
- 95% of Tinder users meet up with their matches in person within a week
- Tinder has 57 Million members worldwide
- Only 9 Million of those users pay for a premium subscription
- Tinder users are swiping around 1.6 billion times per day
Tinder Review Information
- Site Name: Tinder.com
- Paid or Free: Free to sign up, paid membership available
- Average Sign-Up Time: ~ 5 minutes
- Paid Membership Pricing: Plans starting as low as $4.58 per month
Tinder Reviews – Table of Contents
- Tinder Features Overview
- The Quality of Singles at Tinder
- How to Sign Up at Tinder
- Price | How Much Does Tinder Cost?
- Customer Support Options
Tinder Features Overview
The base version of Tinder isn’t particularly flush with features. In fact, the majority of the app consists of swiping left or right on pictures until you find someone you like who likes you too. However, Tinder does offer some additional features for those who purchase paid memberships. Here’s what we found during our Tinder reviews.
Tinder Plus Features
Tinder plus is the first level of paid Tinder subscription. It adds a few benefits to your account like removing the limit on swiping right and taking away ads. There are also a few added features you may really enjoy.
- Rewind – Lets you undo your last swipe if you accidentally swiped the wrong direction.
- 5 Super Likes – Super likes are a way of telling a user you are very interested in them. With Plus, you get 5 free super likes per day.
- 1 Monthly Boost – Boost allows your profile to be at the top of people’s lists for 30 minutes.
- Passport – Allows you to look at and interact with accounts from around the world.
Tinder Gold Features
Tinder Gold is the 2nd highest membership plan. It offers all the perks of Tinder Plus along with the following additional perks:
- New Top Picks – Get more top picks each day, which are users that you are likely to be interested in.
- Visible Likes – See which accounts like you before you like them.
Tinder Platinum Features
Tinder Platinum is the top-tier version of Tinder. It has all the features of Plus and Gold, but also includes these extra features:
- Message Before Matching – Other users can only message users that like them, but with Platinum you can message whoever you like.
- Priority Likes – Your likes take priority over the likes of other tiered users.
- Weekly Like Recap – See who likes you over the last 7 days.
The Quality of Singles at Tinder
Though we have our issues with Tinder as a place for finding long-term relationships, we don’t have much of an issue with their users. In fact, the most recent upgrades to Tinder’s moderation has made it a safe and fun place to meet people on a casual level. You can find some really fun, interesting, and attractive singles.
Something to reiterate for the umpteenth time from our Tinder reviews, though—the app is only designed for casual fun. Yes, you may get lucky and be able to find a real relationship out of the app. However, that’s not the intent of the set up, and it’s best you understand that. If you want a more serious relationship, check out a dating app for relationships.
How to Sign Up at Tinder
Signing up for Tinder is pretty easy, but varies a slight bit depending on the device you are using. Let’s take a look at the steps for signing up on IOS, Android, and on the web.
Steps to Sign up on Android
- Find the Tinder app on the Android app store and download it.
- Make a decision on a login/signup method (phone number or social media).
- Enter your information for whichever signup method you’ve chosen.
- Set up your profile with images and a short bio.
- Decide if you want to upgrade to a premium membership or continue using the free version of the app.
Steps to Sign up on IOS
- Locate and download the Tinder app on the IOS app store.
- Click the “create an account” option.
- Enter and verify your phone number.
- Provide your email address.
- Connect to your Apple or Facebook account if you prefer.
- Upload photos and fill in your account information.
- Allow Tinder all the access permissions the app requests.
- Decide if you want to continue with a base membership or upgrade your account.
Steps to Sign up on The Web
- Navigate to Tinder.com
- There is no “sign up” option, you will just select “log in.”
- Choose whether to connect with your phone number or social media. (We suggest using your phone number)
- Input your phone number or the information for your social media.
- Set up your profile with photos and a bio.
- Decide if you want to upgrade to a premium account or keep your free membership.
Price | How Much Does Tinder Cost?
Cost is certainly a big part of any review, and it got interesting during our Tinder reviews. Why? Well, did you know that the app charges more money for people you are 30 or older? Yup. There is age-based pricing in the Tinder cost breakdown.
Cost If You’re Under the Age of 30
|Plan||Length||Monthly Cost||Total Cost|
Cost If You’re 30 or Older
|Plan||Monthly Cost||Annual Cost||Save|
|Tinder Gold 1-month||$14.99||$14.99||~|
|Tinder Gold 6-months||$8.83||$52.98||41%|
|Tinder Gold 12-months||$6.92||$83.04||54%|
|Tinder Plus 1-month||$4.99||$4.99||~|
|Tinder Plus 6-months||$3.00||$18.00||37%|
|Tinder Plus 12-months||$2.33||$27.96||53%|
Customer Support Options on the Tinder App
Tinder is pretty par for the course in terms of not having a standard, live customer service option. However, we do like that their support request form is easy to find and let’s you be very specific in selecting your problem and desired resolution. This gives us hope that these messages are actually making it to a person who can resolve issues quickly.
Try Tinder Today!
Tinder App FAQ – Answering Your Questions About Tinder
Do I Have to Connect my Tinder to Facebook?
No! You used to be forced to sign up for Tinder through Facebook, but these days it is optional. While it can make logging in faster, we recommend not connect your personal social media with your dating profiles – no matter which dating app you choose.
Can I Get By With the Free Version of Tinder?
Absolutely! Most users on Tinder only use the base version of the app and there have been no studies done that show that paid users have more success than unpaid users.
Is Tinder Good for Finding Long-Term Romance?
We can’t say that it is impossible to find true love on Tinder, but you will definitely have a better time seeking long-term romance with other apps that focus on compatibility versus looks.
Is Tinder Good for Making Friends?
Yes! Tinder is great for people looking to find casual romance or even just friends. Many users load up Tinder while on vacation to find locals who are willing to hang out and show them around the city.
Does Tinder Notify Screenshots?
It does not. Anyone can screenshot you (or you can screenshot anyone else) and no one will ever know. This is true of screenshotting conversations as well as profiles.
Can I Be Anonymous on Tinder?
No. There is no way to use Tinder anonymously. You can be a little more private by not connecting your social media and paying for a premium membership that allows you to search singles outside of your local area.