By: Jason Lee | Updated 2021
Chances are high that if you’re here with us today, you’ve made the decision to spread your wings, take a chance, and get out there and try the world of online dating. If that’s you, congrats! And if you’re here, the chances are also high that you’ve heard about an online dating site called eHarmony. But is eHarmony worth it?
Is it worth your time, effort, and money? We’re going to get to the bottom of this with a no-bs, honest look at if eHarmony is worth it.
Is eHarmony worth it for serious relationships?
Yes! eHarmony is an online dating app that specifically markets to singles looking for serious relationships, commitment, and marriage. While you don’t have to be a bridezilla or a groomzilla dead-set on getting married yesterday, you should be interested in dating that could potentially turn into something more committed.
- It’s the online dating app that’s most likely to lead to happy relationships
- 2 million + single men and women have found love through eHarmony
- 2.3 million messages are sent weekly
Honestly, eHarmony is most worth it for singles looking for serious relationships and marriage.
Is eHarmony worth it for hookups and casual dating?
No, eHarmony is 100% not worth it if you’re looking for hookups, casual dating, or to play games. You’ll see right from the start with the compatibility quiz you take during sign-up (free with the links on this page) that they’re not messing around. Everything from the site setup, to the marketing message, to the matching systems are geared towards more serious relationships.
If you’re just looking to dip your toes into online dating and don’t want anything serious, you may have better luck at a casual dating app.
Is eHarmony right for younger singles?
The answer is that it depends. If you’re still in your teens or very early 20s, there are probably some better dating apps for younger singles. However, if you’re in your mid-20s on up and you’re looking for something a bit more serious (and you have most of your life ducks in a row), eHarmony could be worth it. It honestly comes down to you personally.
Top 11 Reasons eHarmony Is Worth It
1. eharmony Has A Proven Track Record Of Success
According to the company’s data, someone finds love on eHarmony every 14 minutes! Additionally, over 2 million people have found love through the site (and counting!).
2. The Trademarked Compatibility System
eHarmony uses a trademarked system for getting to know you, getting to know other singles, and then masterfully matching up people who are going to be good together. One of the main reasons eHarmony is worth it is that the site knows how to learn what you’re looking for (even if you don’t know) and set you up.
3. Guided Communication
A little nervous? Not totally sure how to do all of this? First time dating online? eHarmony uses a system known as guided communication to introduce you to your matches. Instead of just turning you lose to the wolves to figure it out yourself, eHarmony has a calculated and intentional system to help you get to know people at a healthy and effective pace.
4. The Quality of the Singles
This is an area of the ‘is eHarmony worth it’ question that’s a little subjective, but we think our opinion is pretty spot on. The quality of the single men and women at eHarmony is incredible. Whether it’s how the site does its marketing or the reputation it’s built, we don’t know for sure. However, we do know that the quality of the singles on the eHarmony app is awesome, awesome, awesome.
5. Good Mix of Men and Women
On eHarmony, the current mix of singles is 51% men and 49% women. If you’re tired of using online dating apps that are skewed one way or the other, this is going to be something you’re excited about.
6. People Are Active
Every week, over 2.3 million messages are sent on eHarmony! Additionally, dormant or fake profiles are proactively removed. This means that the people you’re matching with are real and are actually looking to meet someone like you.
7. Less Flaky Singles
One of the best answers to if eHarmony is worth it is the fact that the site attracts far fewer flaky singles than other dating apps. How? It’s two-fold. First, it’s in the way that eHarmony markets. The company targets people who are naturally going to be more dedicated to the process. Second, it has to do with the pricing structure. eHarmony is a bit more expensive than some of the other dating apps out there. And while this might seem like a negative, it actually helps to cut way down on the people who are not committed to the process.
8. Video Dating Software
After the COVID-19 pandemic, a lot of people have moved to video dating (like Zoom or Facetime) for first dates. And even before this, people were doing that for safety reasons to make sure the person they’re talking to is who they say they are (a great idea, by the way). eHarmony recently added a video dating program that works right inside the app! This means you don’t have to give out your phone number or information until you’re ready.
9. Incredible Support
We don’t anticipate that you’re going to need a lot of help during the eHarmony dating process. However, it’s always nice to know that you have a support system in case you need it. One of the top reasons that eHarmony is definitely worth it is the quality and accessibility of the customer support team.
10. It’s Fun
We’d be remised if we didn’t point out one of the biggest reasons that eHarmony is worth it—it’s fun! The dating process should be something enjoyable. You’re not going to the dentist; you’re finding someone special to spend a significant portion of your life with. Thankfully, eHarmony is set up in a way that facilitates a fun and safe online dating experience.
11. Diversity and Acceptance
eHarmony does a masterful job of being diverse and accepting of people from all different walks of life. Whether you’re gay, straight, black, white, Latino, Asian, Christian, Jewish, non-religious, Muslim, young, old—whatever your background, there are quality singles on eHarmony waiting to meet you. One of the strongest reasons that eHarmony is worth it is the diversity and inclusiveness the site is dedicated to.
Who eHarmony Might Not Be Good For
eHarmony might be worth it to a lot of people, but it’s not going to be a great fit for every single out there. Here are a few people that we think might not find eHarmony worth it.
- If You’re Looking for Hookups – eHarmony is dedicated to helping people find lasting, committed relationships. If you’re looking just to hookup, this isn’t the dating app for you.
- If You’re in a Hurry – First, you shouldn’t be in a hurry to find that special someone. If you are, that’s another discussion for another day. But if you refuse to pump the brakes, eHarmony might not be the right fit for you. The site uses guided communication and relies on tried and true data to help you develop relationships. If you just want the ability to blast off 100 cookie-cutter messages on day one, eHarmony won’t be the right fit.
- If You’re Not Ready to Invest in Yourself – eHarmony is not a dating site for people who are wishy-washy about finding love. If you’re not ready to invest some time in the process, it’s not going to be a good fit. Additionally, the cost of an eHarmony membership is a bit higher than other dating sites. If that’s going to be an issue, you may want to choose another option, save up for a membership, or re-evaluate how important finding love is to you.
Who eHarmony is Best For
Luckily, the group of people that eHarmony is great for and who will find eHarmony worth it is much longer than the list that won’t! Here’s a list of some of the groups that we think eHarmony is ideal for.
- People looking for love – If you’re looking to fall in love with a man or a woman, eHarmony is a great place to start. It’s a great place to see romantic sparks.
- Singles looking for a relationship – eHarmony is not a hookup site. If you’re ready for a committed relationship, you’ll enjoy the site. Oh, and if you want to take things slowly but committed is still your end goal, that’s okay too.
- Singles eventually looking for marriage – For some reason, some people think that eHarmony is filled with bridezillas and people looking to get married yesterday. This isn’t the case. That being said, most of the people on the site are eventually looking to get married someday or at least get into a committed relationship. If that sounds like something you’re looking for, eHarmony will be well worth it for you.
- Looking local or internationally – eHarmony is a dating site that’s global. Not only are there tons of singles in your city or in the U.S., but there are singles in other states and other countries! Whether you’re looking for love locally, in your geographic area, or across the globe—you have options.
Does eHarmony Work?
A question that goes hand in hand with ‘is eHarmony worth it’ is ‘does eHarmony work?’ And the reason we say these go hand in hand is that if eHarmony didn’t work, it wouldn’t be worth it. And on the flip side, if eHarmony does work, then it’s certainly worth it.
Here’s our answer. Based on the quality of the dating app, the track record of success, the proven matching system, and the constant investment in evolving technology—eHarmony works. 2 million people finding love is no joke. A new person finding love every 14 minutes is astounding. You don’t get to the top of the online dating industry for decades without providing the best product out there.
Want to find out for yourself? We’ve included a link below that will get you set up with a free trial account for eHarmony. With your account, you’ll be able to set up your profile, upload some pictures, read through the profiles of other members in your area, and get a feel for whether the dating app is a good fit for you.
And what’s also great news is that eHarmony regularly offers special discounts to singles who have signed up for the free trial. So, if you’re ready to find out for yourself if eHarmony is worth it, click the link below and get started today.
Written By: Jason Lee
Jason Lee is a data analyst with a passion for studying online dating, relationships, personal growth, healthcare, and finance. In 2008, Jason earned a Bachelors of Science from the University of Florida, where he studied business and finance and taught interpersonal communication.
His work has been featured in the likes of The USA Today, MSN, NBC, FOX, The Motley Fool, Net Health, and The Simple Dollar. As a business owner, relationship strategist, dating coach, and officer in the U.S. military, Jason enjoys sharing his unique knowledge base with the rest of the world.