Dating as a senior can bring on a wide array of emotions all at the same time—excitement, nervousness, fear, intrigue. And while all of us may experience different emotions (and none of them are wrong), the one thing we do have in common is that we all want to have success.
And even though successful senior dating may look a little different for everyone, the tips that will get you there are quite similar.
In this article, we’d love to share four of the most helpful senior dating tips to help you get exactly what you’re looking for out of the online matchmaking experience.
1. Use an Appropriate Dating Site
A quick search online for online dating sites yields A LOT of options. Options are great, right? Yes and no. The RIGHT options are great. And when it comes to dating as a senior, you want to pick an option that really fits what you’re trying to accomplish.
What we recommend is using a senior dating site specifically designed for singles over the age of 50. What’s great about these options is that they’re filled with people in the same stage of life as you that are looking for the same outcomes and goals as you are. If you were to use a more mainstream option that’s targeting younger people, you’ll end up getting frustrated with the lack of results.
And no, don’t worry that these options are going to be filled with people who aren’t active or ready to get out and meet. The sites recommended in the link above are filled with active singles who are young at heart and looking to get out and have some fun with someone special.
2. Protect Yourself at All Costs
When we were growing up, the internet wasn’t a thing that people used to date or for much of anything (or wasn’t even invented yet). And while this doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be excited to try it out, it does mean that there are going to be aspects of it we don’t understand.
One of those areas is security and safety. The internet can be a great place for senior dating, but only if you do the right things to keep yourself safe in the process. Here are a few quick tips for seniors looking to stay safe while dating online:
- NEVER give out your credit card information to anyone asking for it. The only time you should even be sharing that information is when purchasing a premium membership at a dating site. If anyone asks for your credit card or banking information in a message, stop talking to them, and report them immediately.
- Don’t share personal information about yourself until you’re confident the person you are talking to is who they say they are. One of the best ways to validate this is to use your phone to video chat with them.
- Ask for help if you need it. If you are unsure of something or something feels wrong, ask someone about it. Ask a grandchild or ask the support staff at the senior dating site you’re using.
3. Be Honest About Your Past…And Be Okay With Theirs
As people become more seasoned in life, they have more experiences to share. This, of course, means some exciting things, but it also means mistakes or things you’re not totally proud of.
First, that’s okay. You’re not alone in that.
What we’d like to share for seniors looking to start dating again is to be okay with your past because it made you who you are today. Additionally, don’t expect the single men and women you’re talking to not to have some things in their past.
We can choose to pretend we are all perfect, or we can choose to enjoy the spoils of being open and honest that we’re all human and have lived some pretty interesting lives.
4. Have Fun…It’s the Whole Point!
This might seem like a cheesy tip, but it’s an important one. You have to have fun with this process! Meeting someone special may take some time and it may be a bumpy road. However, if seniors know one thing about life it’s that the joy is in the journey. Ensure that you’re having fun with the process. And if you ever aren’t, take a break, step back, and evaluate why.