In a state where the tourism and travel slogan is ‘Virginia is for lovers,’ one would think it should be easy to find other Virginia singles looking for love. However, the fact you’re here shows you haven’t quite found that to be true (and that’s okay)! In this guide, we’re going to help you remedy that.
While Virginia may be more known for its place in American history and breathtaking natural scenery, it’s technology that’s helping singles navigate the dating scene. In this guide, we want to showcase the best dating apps in Virginia that you can join right now. On top of that, we’re going to share some tips, tricks, and resources to help you properly navigate the scene and find what you’re looking for.
Just as Patrick Henry famously once said in Virginia to rally the troops for the American Revolution, “Give me liberty or give me death,” we want to rally you to join in all that the Virginia dating scene has to offer. “Give us dating sites or give us…okay, that worked out better in our heads.
All kidding aside, let’s get into it!
The Top 5 Virginia Dating Apps
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#3||Higher Bond||Free Trial|
|#4||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#5||The League||Free Trial|
Why eHarmony Tops the List for Virginia Dating Apps
While the whole Virginia is for lovers thing might seem like a cheesy cliché (random aside, it was developed by an advertising agency hired by the state in 1968), the truth is that singles in Virginia are quite often looking for love. When we hear about a state that cares more about real relationships than casual “here today, gone tomorrow” interactions, there is only one dating app that comes to mind—eHarmony.
Developed over two decades ago, eHarmony has helped millions of singles find real relationships through it’s patented matchmaking technology. And like a fine wine, eHarmony has just gotten better with age rolling out new features this past year like safer video dating, an updated matching algorithm, and an overhauled user experience.
Oh, and if you’re worried about how active the singles are on eHarmony, over 2.3 million messages are sent every week! If you’re looking for the best dating app in Virginia and your relationship goal is something real, try eHarmony now.
Additional Virginia Dating Resources
Reasons We Love These Dating Apps for Virginia Singles
Since we’re on the topic of lovers (and we can’t let any cheesy cliché go), we want to share why we love the options we listed for Virginia singles. Here are four reasons we think you’re going to enjoy these dating apps if you’re looking to date in Virginia or the northeast.
1. The number of singles in VA and the surrounding states.
This would be a silly list of recommendations for the best Virginia dating apps if it didn’t focus on options with lots of singles in your area. What some don’t think about, though, is that this also includes the surrounding states and the DC area. Virginia has some pretty long borders, and if you happen to live close to Maryland, DC, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, or West Virginia—you’re going to want to be able to meet singles there.
The only exception, of course, is if you live outside of DC and don’t want to date someone that’s a $50 Uber trip every time (we get it). Regardless, these apps let you search and filter by distance and proximity, which lets you choose how fare you’re willing to look or how close to home you’d like to be.
2. Dating app options for multiple relationship goals.
Yes, our top option (eHarmony) is only for singles looking for real relationships. But you’ll notice that some of the other options on our list are aimed at other relationship goals. This is important because there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to online dating. Here’s a quick cheat sheet on which of these sites might be best for which purpose.
- eHarmony – Best for real relationships
- Zoosk – Best for casual options
- Higher Bond – Best for Christian singles
- Elite Singles – Best for career-focused professionals
- The League – Best for singles who live in the bigger cities like Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Richmond, and Norfolk.
3. Apps that understand your time is important to you.
It’s quite well known that singles in Virginia (especially in NoVa) care about their careers. And even if you don’t, that doesn’t mean you just want to waste your time haphazardly. Our favorite dating apps in Virginia use matchmaking processes that respect your time and produce results efficiently.
4. Security and safety a priority.
When you live in a state with 32 military bases and the actual training academy for the FBI, it should be a given that safety and security are important. Just because you’re dating online doesn’t mean that’s any different. The best Virginia dating sites and dating apps understand the importance of keeping you safe through education, resources, and technologically proactive means of security. That’s a fancy way of saying safety and security are top priorities.
What is Dating in Virginia Actually Like?
Step one—find the right dating app. Step two—figure out what the heck you’re about to get yourself into! Below, we’ve included a few notes about what dating in Virginia is actually like. These will vary based on your location, age, and the type of singles you’re dating, but it should give you a good idea of the commonalities we see.
- Expect a heavy military presence in some cities. – With over 32 military bases and instillations in Virginia, it’s no secret that you may see a heavy military presence on dating apps as well as in local bars and single’s spots. While the bases are spread out throughout the state and along the coastline, expect the heavies presences in places like Norfolk, Arlington, and Fairfax.
- The weather plays a decent sized role in dating here. – Anytime you get north enough to get snow and cold temperatures, expect the dating scene to be affected during the winter months. Virginia sees an average of almost 15 inches of snow each year and several months of cold and frigid temperatures. Expect this to slow down the in-person dating scene significantly during the winter months. However, expect it to ramp up the online dating apps scene during the same months as people are looking for someone to keep them warm!
- Learn to navigate career-minded singles. – Especially in Northern Virginia, expect a lot of singles who take their careers seriously. This doesn’t mean you can’t still date them, but don’t be trying to go out or chat late on midweek nights or on a Sunday. The perk, though, is a lot of stable and financially sound singles in the state.
- Some people won’t date across state lines. – Technically, this is mainly for those close to DC (which technically is not a state), but we’re not here for technicalities. The point we want to make is that in some areas in Virginia going between states or districts is a bit of a hassle. For this reason, you may run into a few singles who are only interested in dating very close to home.
- Politics may matter to some. – With such a close proximity to the Nation’s capital, it should really come as no surprise that politics and appearance may play a bigger role than it would in other areas of the country. This is especially true if you’re dating someone who works for the government or is trying to work for the government. They won’t be interested in dating anyone involved in anything that could even be portrayed as being illegal or not above board.
Dating Stats and Demographics – Virginia Singles
Knowledge is power when it comes to dating, and well, just about anything in life. To help you in your search for Virginia singles, we wanted to get you as much data on the community as possible. Below, we walk you through things like demographics, marriage stats, who has access to online dating, and even if there are more men or women in the state (spoiler, the ladies take the trophy here).
Population in Virginia by Gender
- There are 94,412 more women than men in Virginia
- 50.6% female
- 49.5% male
Overall Singles by Gender
- 50.2% of women in Virginia are single
- 46.9% of men in Virginia are single
Population in Virginia by Age
- Median age = 38.8 years old (identical to the national average)
- 13.2% aged from 20-29 years old
- 13.8% aged from 30-39 years old
- 12.8% aged from 40-49 years old
- 12.9% aged from 50-59 years old
- 22.8% aged 60+ years old
% Households With Internet in VA
- 85.7% of households in Virginia have internet access (80.4% national average)
3 Virginia Cities Rank Best for Singles
Since we’re already riding high on the data train, let’s keep it rolling! Here’s some more data that may give you some hope or cause for concern depending on where in the state of Virginia you live and are trying to date.
Recently, our research team completed a really intensive and exhaustive study on the best and worst cities in the U.S. for singles. The team looked at 36 different data points and thousands of pieces of data for the 90 largest cities in the US. The result? A detailed ranking of which cities are best set up for singles.
How did Virginia fare? Rather well, actually! The city found itself on the list three times with one city in the top 10 and one just outside the top 10. If you want to see the full results, the link above will take you to the complete study. We’ve included a few of the highlights for you below.
Richmond, VA Ranks Top 10 (8th)
- Ranked 8th overall out of the 90 largest cities in the U.S.
- 25th best for cost of dating category
- 28th best for quality of the dating pool
- 25th best for dating amenities
Norfolk, VA Barely Misses the Top 10 (11th)
- Ranked 11th overall out of the 90 largest cities in the U.S.
- 51st best for cost of dating category
- 24th best for quality of the dating pool
- 13th best for dating amenities
Virginia Beach Ranks 33rd
- Ranked 33rd overall out of the 90 largest cities in the U.S.
- 52nd best for cost of dating category
- 62nd best for quality of the dating pool
- 17th best for dating amenities
Virginia Cities With the Most Interest in Online Dating
Data is awesome. One of the coolest things that data allows us to see is which cities in the state of West Virginia have the most interest in online dating. These digital hot spots can be identified by looking at Google Trends data and search traffic volumes over the past 12 months.
The city that came out on top with the highest level of interest was Harrisonburg, VA. Norfolk was a close second, followed by the Richmond area.
- Harrisonburg VA – (100)
- Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News VA – (92)
- Richmond-Petersburg VA – (74)
- Roanoke-Lynchburg VA – (41)
- Washington DC (Hagerstown MD) – (39)
- Tri-Cities TN-VA – (14)
- Charlottesville VA
- Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill WV
Virginia Dating Apps FAQ
What is the best dating app in Virginia?
The best dating app for Virginia singles is eHarmony because it focuses on real relationships, has an impressive track record of success, and just fits beautifully with the slogan that Virginia is for lovers.
What is the best dating app in Virginia Beach?
The best dating app in Virginia Beach is Zoosk because the demographical makeup of the area is one of people who are looking for serious relationships as well as casual dating. Zoosk has over 35 million members and allows you to choose from any of six different relationships goals making it a flexible option for a fun city like Virginia Beach.
Is dating in Virginia hard?
Arguably, dating is hard everywhere in the world, but there are things in Virginia that can make it more challenging. Many areas of the state are filled with singles who are ultra-career driven, which means less free time and higher standards for deal breakers. Additionally, the more rural parts of the state may create issues with knowing where to find singles which ultimately can have a negative effect on the dating scene.