By: Jason Lee | Updated 2021
One of the best things about being single in America is there are plenty of unique ways to find that special someone. The best US dating sites offer plenty of quality singles to choose from, mobile-friendly platforms, and great search functions, all at an affordable price. If you’re looking for the top dating sites in America, you’ve come to the right place.
The Top Dating Sites in America
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#2||The League||Free Trial|
|#4||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#5||Christian Mingle||Free Trial|
What You’ll Find Here
- The best U.S. dating sites broken down by all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- Data, stats, and trends about online dating in the United States as a whole and broken down by state
- You just might find that special guy or gal you’ve been looking for! (That’s our goal.)
- In which states in America online dating is the most popular
- Information about totally free dating sites in the USA
Best US Dating Sites by State
Are you looking for something a little more specific than just the best dating site in America? If you’re looking for something a little more dialed in, we have a list of top options broken down by state and in some larger areas by city! While you’re going to see a lot of the same names you’ve seen here, there are some areas from time to time where there might be a more fitting option to find the singles you’re looking for.
- Best Dating Apps Alabama
- Best Dating Apps Alaska
- Best Dating Apps Arizona
- Best Dating Apps Arkansas
- Best Dating Apps California
- Best Dating Apps Colorado
- Best Dating Apps Connecticut
- Best Dating Apps Delaware
- Best Dating Apps Florida
- Best Dating Apps Georgia
- Best Dating Apps Hawaii
- Best Dating Apps Idaho
- Best Dating Apps Illinois
- Best Dating Apps Indiana
- Best Dating Apps Iowa
- Best Dating Apps Kansas
- Best Dating Apps Kentucky
- Best Dating Apps Louisiana
- Best Dating Apps Maine
- Best Dating Apps Maryland
- Best Dating Apps Massachusetts
- Best Dating Apps Michigan
- Best Dating Apps Minnesota
- Best Dating Apps Mississippi
- Best Dating Apps Missouri
- Best Dating Apps Montana
- Best Dating Apps Nebraska
- Best Dating Apps Nevada
- Best Dating Apps New Hampshire
- Best Dating Apps New Jersey
- Best Dating Apps New Mexico
- Best Dating Apps New York
- Best Dating Apps North Carolina
- Best Dating Apps North Dakota
- Best Dating Apps Ohio
- Best Dating Apps Oklahoma
- Best Dating Apps Oregon
- Best Dating Apps Pennsylvania
- Best Dating Apps Rhode Island
- Best Dating Apps South Carolina
- Best Dating Apps South Dakota
- Best Dating Apps Tennessee
- Best Dating Apps Texas
- Best Dating Apps Utah
- Best Dating Apps Vermont
- Best Dating Apps Virginia
- Best Dating Apps Washington DC
- Best Dating Apps Washington (State)
- Best Dating Apps West Virginia
- Best Dating Apps Wisconsin
- Best Dating Apps Wyoming
What States is Online Dating the Most Popular?
A question we get a lot (because it’s a good one) is which states in the U.S. have the most interest in online dating. And what’s really cool about this question is we actually have some hard data to back it up! The geniuses over at Google help to aggregate and dissect data on where the hotspots are for online dating in the country through Google Trends. We took this data and are here to show you our list of the states in America where online dating is the most popular.
Here’s the top ten states where online dating is the most popular! The full results are posted below as well.
- Vermont – (100)
- Alaska – (93)
- South Dakota – (81)
- Colorado – (70)
- South Carolina – (69)
- New York – (69)
- Montana – (68)
- New Mexico – (67)
- Nebraska – (67)
- Oklahoma – (66)
The Full Data on Which States Online Dating is Most Popular In
|Rank||State||Search Volume Factor|
|12||District of Columbia||63|
What Makes These the Top Dating Sites in USA
- Plenty of Quality US-Based Singles
- Mobile-Friendly Dating Platform
- Rich Search Functions and Matching Features
Earning the title of the best dating site in America does not come easy. Just because you offer service to residents in the 50 states doesn’t mean you’re automatically a viable option. To earn the title from us, a US dating site has to pass a rigorous analysis where we look at hundreds of different factors. Making our list as one of the top dating sites in USA can’t be bought, bribed, or earned through any other means than offering the best service for singles in the land of the free.
Here are a few of the reasons these are truly the best US dating sites.
Plenty of Quality US-Based Singles
The worst thing that can happen when you join an online dating site is to find out that there are no singles that live anywhere remotely close to you. The top dating sites in USA have the majority of their user bases here in the states. Additionally, the singles are spread out from coast to coast in major and smaller cities.
Mobile-Friendly Dating Platform
A key element of the top dating sites in America is the existence of a quality mobile-friendly dating platform. To stay in the game, you need to be able to search singles, respond to messages, and set up dates from anywhere and everywhere you are, as long as you have an internet or phone connection. This can be a dedicated mobile app or a mobile-responsive website that works great on every device.
Rich Search Functions and Matching Features
The best US dating sites have the technology in place to help you find that special someone. This can include search functions, the ability to sort matches, unique matching algorithms, and more. Online dating is supposed to be easy and the top dating sites in America know how to capitalize on the convenience to help you out.
A More In-Depth Look at the Top Dating Sites in USA
One of the best dating sites in America hands-down is eHarmony. This online dating community is the number one trusted site for meeting singles across all the top dating sites in USA.
This site ranks well due to its quality singles located across the U.S., and it’s fun and easy to use platform. The site has bragged for years that it is responsible for the most marriages. If you’re looking for something lasting and a little more on the serious side, this is right where you want to be.
Unmatched in quality online singles available to date by many other top dating sites in USA, the online community of Elite Singles is a definite winner. For a fresh take on dating, Elite Singles has a stellar online dating site and a solid mobile app.
Singles looking for love are located across North America and tend to be highly educated professionals. The site boasts over 381,000+ new singles every month, with over 85% having an above-average education.
For one of the top dating sites in USA focusing on the Christian community, look no further for love than Christian Mingle. This lively site has a great mobile app, a fun profile layout, and several communications supports, including icebreaker questions in the messaging interface.
Come see for yourself with a free trial account why Christian Mingle is ranked as one of the best US dating sites.
JDate is the premium online community for meeting other Jewish singles and one of the best US dating sites. While its online interface is simple, it really does have everything you need to be successful in finding love.
As one of the top dating sites in America, JDate has an easy to use communication interface where you can message your love interest, and there’s also a great mobile app, so that you never miss a message or interest returned. Check out this site today, and you won’t be disappointed.
Free Dating Sites in the USA
Want to get in on the online dating action but don’t want to invest any cash in the process? We feel you. A lot of people, especially people new to the process, start their journey looking for free dating sites in the USA.
If that’s you, stay tuned. We have three things for you today—a link to a list of the best free dating sites in the USA, pros and cons of using free dating sites in the USA without payment, and our tips to save money when dating online.
Free Trials vs. Totally Free Dating Sites in the USA
There are two kinds of free when it comes to online dating apps. You have dating site free trials, which allow you to try out certain aspects of a site to see if it’s worth your time and money. The second option is totally free dating sites where you never pay a dime, no matter what.
We HIGHLY recommend that you utilize free trial accounts over totally free options. Use these free trials to check things out and then reevaluate investing a few dollars into your search for love. Online dating sites are WAY less expensive than most people think, and the quality of people and the experience you get just by investing a few dollars is massive.
If that sounds like a good idea, you can scroll back up above this section if you want to give some of these free trials a go before checking out any totally free dating sites in the USA. We promise you it will be worth it.
Pros of Free Dating Sites in the USA
- It doesn’t cost you any money
- Sign up is usually faster
- It may seem like there are more options (can be misleading)
Cons of Free Dating Sites in the USA
- The quality of singles is way lower
- Tons of fake accounts and bots
- Filled with singles looking to play games
The Truth About Totally Free Dating Sites in the USA
Here’s the bottom line. Are totally free dating sites less expensive? Absolutely. They literally don’t cost a dime. However, that’s not the whole picture. If you are constantly wasting time talking to bots and fake accounts or wasting money going on dates with lower-quality singles who are only interested in playing games, is it really less expensive?
Remember, your time is worth something. If wasting time by saving a few bucks with free dating sites is worth it, then go for it. But we think your time and the potential emotional headache aren’t worth it, just to use 100% free USA dating sites.
How to Save Money With Online Dating Sites
Just because you choose to pay a few dollars to find that special someone, doesn’t mean you have to overspend or break the bank finding love. Here are a few tips to help you save money when dating online.
- Take advantage of free trials – Using free trials lets you determine which online dating site is best. That way, you only have to pay at one, and only AFTER you know it’s worth it.
- Sign up for free trials to get discounts – The cost of an online dating site isn’t always what’s posted to people who haven’t created a free account. Sometimes after you sign up, the website will show you a special deal or offer to try and entice you to sign up. Why not sign up for a few sites that interest you and see if they toss you any special deals?
- Write your online dating profile before you pay – There’s nothing wrong with signing up for a free trial before paying for an upgraded account. However, before you upgrade, write your dating profile 100%. That way, you can hit the ground running talking to matches as soon as your paid account becomes active. Here are some online dating profile examples if you need inspiration.
- Qualify your dates – What we mean by qualify your dates is only go out with people who you really think could be a good fit. If you go on a lot of dates with people you know aren’t good matches, it can get expensive. But if you really focus in on people who match your criteria, you can save some money on the backend.
Free Dating Sites
If everything we just talked about still doesn’t have you convinced to invest a few dollars into your happiness, it’s okay. As promised, here is a link to our list of the best free dating sites. Regardless of which you choose to use, we wish you the best of luck in finding love! Feel free to bookmark this page in case you aren’t pleased with the quality that you run into. You always have the option of upgrading from free dating apps to paid at any time.
Written By: Jason Lee
Jason Lee is a data analyst with a passion for studying online dating, relationships, personal growth, healthcare, and finance. In 2008, Jason earned a Bachelors of Science from the University of Florida, where he studied business and finance and taught interpersonal communication.
His work has been featured in the likes of The USA Today, MSN, The Motley Fool, Net Health, and The Simple Dollar. As a business owner, relationship strategist, dating coach, and officer in the U.S. military, Jason enjoys sharing his unique knowledge base with the rest of the world.