When it comes to dating in the United Kingdom (UK), you’ll be pleased to know you have a lot of options. The UK has been steadily growing for the past few decades and now sits with just over 67 million people. And of those 67 million beautiful people, stats say nearly half are single and looking to mingle! That is, well, exciting.
But how does one go about meeting these beautiful people? If you’re here with us today, you probably have already figured out that dating in the UK can be a bit of drag and leave you quite knackered. But…it doesn’t have to be. UK dating apps, websites, and matchmaking services have come a long way to help match singles throughout your country or the entire UK. And the best UK dating apps don’t just help you match with anyone; they help you match with the right people who are ideal matches for you and what you’re looking for.
In this guide, we’ll share our top list of the best dating apps in the UK, talk about the dating scene throughout the area, and equip you with the resources you need to have some
Top UK Dating Apps
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#2||MaiTai Elite||Free Trial|
|#4||Our Time UK||Free Trial|
|#5||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#6||MuddyMatches UK||Free Trial|
In This Guide:
Our Featured Pick – eHarmony UK
One of the most prominent and trusted dating apps on the market just so happens to service the UK as one of its biggest markets! And if you’re a UK single looking for a committed relationship with someone you fancy, then eHarmony is the top choice for you. Founded over two decades ago, the company has helped over 2 million people find love across all its major markets.
Now, eHarmony UK is not the ideal choice if you’re looking to date casually or you aren’t serious about finding love. But if you are ready for something a little more committed, then eHarmony is right for you. What’s unique about the this UK dating app is that you can specifically select the regions you want to see singles from. Your options are All of the UK, England, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Northern Ireland, Scotland, or Wales. You can select one, all, or a handful of these to best fit your needs.
And one other cool feature is that if you are interested in meeting international singles outside of the borders of the United Kingdom, you have that option as well without the need to create an account.
Bottom line—eHarmony is the best UK dating app on the market, as long as you are looking for a real relationship.
Other Top UK Dating Sites and Apps:
- Mai Tai Elite – Matchmaking services are quite popular in the UK, especially in the major cities like London, Oxford, and Manchester. This dating app literally does all the work for you—all you have to do is show up! The dates are arranged for you by a personal matchmaker (a real person). Yes, this can be a bit more expensive than your traditional UK dating apps, but Mai Tai Elite may just be the perfect fit if you’re a busy person with some extra resources to invest in your love life.
- Parship – As part of the famed Parship Group (which also owns eHarmony), Parship is another UK-facing option for singles looking for compatibility-based matchmaking. With memberships starting as low as £14.90 per month, it’s an affordable way to find that special someone.
- OurTime UK – Looking for senior dating in the UK? If you are, Our Time is a popular US-based brand that has brought its products across the pond. The site only lets singles in who are 50 years of age and older and who live in the United Kingdom. If that sounds like your cup of tea, check out OurTime UK.
- Elite Singles – An ideal dating app option for UK singles who fancy educated men and women. Over 85% of the singles on the site have an elevated level of education, making it an ideal spot to meet smart, driven, and life-focused singles.
- Muddy Matches UK – This one is a bit out there (literally), as it’s a very specific niche UK dating app designed for farmers and people who live in rural areas. If you’re someone who likes to live off the land and farming or rural-living are in your blood, this may be worth checking out. If not, it’s not going to be a great option for you.
Why These Are the Best Dating Apps in the UK
When it comes to selecting the best UK dating apps, there’s a lot that goes into that. Often, many companies just create one best-of list for the entire world (usually heavily favoring the US markets), and try and pawn that off as an attempt to properly serve the citizens of the United Kingdom.
Frankly, that’s rubbish.
UK singles have unique needs and should demand a list of dedicated sites and apps that meet those needs and service their part of the world. In fact, most best-of lists you find for the UK are filled with app options that don’t even work in the UK!
Not the case here. Beyond that, we wanted to share a few of the reasons why we chose these options as the best of the best.
- Options for all countries in the UK – Sometimes companies and dating apps say they service the UK, but they really just service England (or even just London). When we select an option to be on our list of the best dating apps for the UK, we want an option that not only services England, but also services Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.
- Secure and safe environments – It goes without saying that when you date online in the UK (or anywhere), you want to be kept safe. The best options have full encryption, safe banking options, dedicated security teams, and proactive processes for improving the security and safety of the dating platform.
- UK-based customer service – It’s crazy to say, but some online dating apps servicing the United Kingdom actually use the same customer service teams they do in the US markets. While this might sound okay from a language standpoint, the issue becomes response times. If they’re only working prime times for the US, then that means you’re going to be waiting when you need help the most. We aren’t cool with that.
Detailed Tips for Picking Out a UK Dating App
Here are a few helpful tips for any of you out there that may be struggling to find the right option for what you’re looking for.
- Ensure the right type of distance filters. – Some dating apps only let you search by a kilometer radius, which works great in fully land-locked countries. But in the UK, some of our countries are shaped a bit weird and surrounded by water. This means using distance based filters is rubbish. Instead, look for an app (like eHarmony) that allows you to select countries or regions to see singles.
- Take advantage of free trials. – We included a lot of links to free trial accounts to try out the UK dating apps before you have to decide about upgrading. Take advantage of these! It’s the best way to get your feet wet and see which apps and sites are going to be best for you.
- Pace yourself. – There really is no rush. All of the good blokes and ladies are not going to get scooped up in the next five minutes…or five months…or five years. Take your time. Find the right UK dating site that works best for you, and then move forward.
Religious Dating in the UK
While it’s true that the percentage of atheists and agnostics in the UK continues to grow, there’s no debating that religion still plays a major role in the lives of many its citizens. According to the numbers, the majority of the religious population falls under one of these 3 main religions:
- Christianity – 59.5% (About 40 million people) – See Christian Dating Apps
- Islam – 4.4% (About 3 million people) – See Muslim Dating Apps
- Hinduism – 1.3% of UK (About 900,000 people) – See Hindu Dating Apps
As you can see, there are plenty of other religious singles in the UK. If you’re one of them and want to be sure that your potential partners share your faith and values, then it may be worth considering a religion based UK dating app. But you don’t have to…
It’s worth noting that many mainstream dating sites in the UK have great filtering options for religions and ethnicities. Take eHarmony for example. When you’re entering your search parameters you’ll have many options to slim down the results.
The beauty of this is that since eHarmony has such a large user base you may actually find more Christian singles, Muslim singles, Hindu singles, and so on… than you would actually find on smaller niche dating apps.
Just another one of many reasons we’re recommending eHarmony to our readers in England, Scotland, Wales, and Norther Ireland.
Dating Apps UK FAQ
What is the best dating app in the United Kingdom (UK)?
When it comes to the best dating app in the UK, there really aren’t many sites that hold a candle to eHarmony. If you’re looking for a real relationship, this is the option you’ve been looking for.
How many singles are there in the UK?
According to census data, 49.4% of adults in the UK are unmarried or single. This means there are currently about 33.2 million singles in the UK. And with over 10% of adults claiming to have used 1 or more dating apps we can comfortably say that there are over 3 million singles registered on UK dating sites (not including international users).
Is online dating legal in the UK?
Yes, online dating is perfectly legal in the United Kingdom.
Can you meet people internationally through UK dating apps?
Sure! You may want to check out a dedicated dating app for international singles, but through many of these options you’ll have that ability.
How much do dating apps in the UK cost?
Most dating apps in the UK range from a little over £10 up to £85 per month, depending on the site type, quality, features, and plan you choose. In general, you get what you pay for when it comes to dating apps.
Do I have to have a smartphone to use a dating app in the UK?
No, you do not need to have a smartphone to access the UK dating apps listed in this guide. All of them will work from a desktop computer, laptop, or table just by visiting the website. What’s great is that if you do want to use them on your phone and your computer at different times, you can through the same account without having to do anything special.