When dating apps first became popular, connecting to and logging in with Facebook was the norm. However, as the internet has grown and the general trust in Facebook has shrunk, many apps are moving away from this standard. We understand the desire for using dating apps that don’t need Facebook. Maybe it’s a privacy thing? Maybe you’re scared of something posting on your wall? Maybe you don’t want your friends and family to know you’re online dating.
Whatever the reason, we get it! In this article, we’re going to share several online dating apps that don’t need Facebook. Keep in mind that some of these apps do still have that option available, but only if you want to use it. If not, you’re free to log in with just an email address or your Apple ID (in some cases).
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#1||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#3||Higher Bond||Free Trial|
|#5||Christian Mingle||Free Trial|
|#6||The League||Free Trial|
Why Choose a Dating Site That Doesn’t Use Facebook
- Keep Your Private Life Private – We say all the time that staying safe while dating online requires withholding access to your private life. So, many see it counterintuitive to choose a dating app that requires you to connect your profile with your personal social media.
- You’re Worried About What Might Get Posted – Not everyone wants people in their everyday life to know they are actively dating, online or otherwise. So, it can be a little anxiety inducing to think that a dating app might be posting on your profile for all to see.
- You’re Concerned About Security Breaches – Facebook has a pretty nasty reputation for falling victim to security breaches and sharing more information than their users are aware of.
- You Don’t Use Social Media to Begin With – A large part of the population doesn’t use Facebook or any form of non-anonymous social media. So, the idea of signing up for one just to then sign up for a dating app seems cumbersome.
Can You Use Dating Apps Without Facebook?
There are lots of dating apps that have steered away from using Facebook, but just because a dating app has an option to connect to Facebook doesn’t mean you are required to use it. In fact, many dating apps that began as fully Facebook dependent have quickly transitioned into being Facebook optional.
If you still want to use a dating app that doesn’t use Facebook at all, our list of the best dating apps without Facebook is a great place for you to begin your search.
If you like the idea of having Facebook login on an app but want to stay safe, just keep reading for some handy tips and safety information.
Is There a Safe Way to Use Dating Apps that Use Facebook?
Not all dating apps that use Facebook are created equal. To begin, some popular apps use Facebook as an optional log-in method, but it isn’t required. So, you can easily opt out of using Facebook on the dating app and never worry about it again.
If; however, you are looking at a dating site that requires Facebook to login, you need to keep your eyes open for a few policies. Many of these apps will notify you that they are only using your account to acquire your personal information. In these cases, the dating app won’t post to your Facebook account.
Ultimately, you can use dating apps that use Facebook safely, but it comes down to looking at how the app uses Facebook, what your options are in terms of opting out, and how much of your information they are allowed to see.
Staying Safe While Using Dating Apps with Facebook: Quick Guide
- Check the permissions to see what all Facebook and/or your dating app is sharing.
- Check for the ability to opt out of connecting Facebook.
- Read the terms to learn what Facebook is allowed to share about your dating app usage.
- If the terms make you uncomfortable, be aware that there are other great dating apps out there that don’t require Facebook.
Why Using Facebook Log In Might Be a Good Idea
It Helps You Set Up Your Profile Faster
The most popular reason for linking a Facebook profile to a dating profile is that the dating app can pull your personal information from Facebook and fill in your profile for you. This saves you time and can make the entire signup process a lot easier.
It Helps You Loading Pictures
Linking your account to Facebook can save you a few steps in the photo uploading process. Typically, when you go to upload photos there will be a “Facebook Album” option that gives you quick access to your profile’s uploaded photos.
It Limits Emails
Some users like that signing up with a Facebook account versus an email can save you a lot of junk mail. Though, it is important to remember that signing up with an email doesn’t have to mean an overloaded inbox. Just head to your account settings to reduce your email preferences, or even shut promotional emails completely off.
Can I use eHarmony without Facebook?
Yes! eHarmony actually began as a dating site that didn’t have any affiliation with Facebook. Now, users can decide to link their Facebook accounts to their eHarmony account, but it is not required.
Can I use Tinder without Facebook?
Yes! Tinder offers two login options – Facebook and phone number. Though Tinder used to require users to link their accounts to Facebook, it is now completely optional.
Can I use Bumble without Facebook?
Yes! Bumble updated their platform in 2018 so users could use the app without linking to Facebook. This was due to privacy concerns from users who were unhappy with Facebook’s terms of service.
Is Facebook log in safe to use for dating sites?
Logging in with Facebook is a fast and convenient way to enter sites, but it isn’t the most secure way. There are risks of phishing and individual security breaches, not to mention the risk of site-wide breaches that then leave all connected accounts vulnerable.
Will my Facebook friends see that I am using a dating site?
When you sign up for dating apps with Facebook, you will notice a disclaimer under the confirmation page that says “this doesn’t allow the app to post to Facebook.” This means that your signup doesn’t give the dating app permission to do anything but see your information and collect your browsing data. You might get a few targeted ads, but your Facebook friends won’t be able to tell you’ve signed up for a dating app.