If we’ve said it once, we’ve said it a thousand times—the best way to enjoy online dating is by keeping yourself safe. While a portion of online dating safety falls on the shoulders of the individual (e.g. not meeting strangers alone, insisting on phone calls and video chatting before meeting, never wiring money to strangers, etc.), an even larger portion should rest squarely on the apps themselves.
What good is finding love or finding someone special if you have to put yourself in danger in the process? Spoiler alert—it’s not worth it. That’s why it’s incredibly important when looking for somewhere to date online you gravitate towards the safest dating apps. These are the apps the clearly invest in having your back and keep safe practices at the foreground of their decision making.
Since we can probably all agree on that, the next question is—what are the safest dating apps? That’s what we want to talk about today! Below you’ll find a list of our top picks, as well as some tips and resources to ensure a secure dating experience from start to finish!
The Top 6 Safest Dating Apps
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#2||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#3||Higher Bond||Free Trial|
|#4||Christian Mingle||Free Trial|
|#5||Catholic Match||Free Trial|
1. eHarmony – Safest Dating App Overall
- Secure messaging system where abuse can be filtered and blocked
- Accounts routinely reviewed for inconsistent or suspicious behavior
- Uses two-factor authentication as a general security standard
The Bottom Line – eHarmony has been around for a while, and their focus on customer safety and satisfaction is one of the reasons why. You can spend your time looking for your future spouse and not worrying about whether your private information is being stolen.
2. Elite Singles – Best Secure Dating App with Messaging Encryption
- All data is encrypted before transmission to keep sneaky eyes off it
- All profiles and images are checked by a moderator for upload approval
- In-house fraud team that monitors suspicious activity
The Bottom Line – Elite Singles is a company built on the idea that highly educate or well-established singles should be able to find compatible partners. Luckily, they have the same high standards for their platform’s functionality and security.
3. Higher Bond – Best Safe Christian App
- High level of data and messaging encryption
- Private user data is never shared or sold to third parties for marketing purposes
- All profiles and photos are manually approved
The Bottom Line – Christian singles you are looking for a safe and protected online environment need not look any further than Higher Bond. The app is set to launch in a few short weeks and is giving away a free 3-month premium membership to everyone who signs up for pre-launch now!
4. Christian Mingle – Most Supportive Customer Service
- 7 day a week customer service
- Content review for all member photos
- Takes quick action on reports of harassment or fraud
The Bottom Line – Christian singles can feel safe on Christian Mingle thanks to their dedication to customer service. They proactively work to prevent problems from arising but have a team of workers available if anything slips through the cracks. For that reason, this is one of our favorite picks for the safest dating apps.
5. Catholic Match – A Top Safe App Pick for Members of the Catholic Community
- 24/7 security system that scans accounts for traits and behaviors of fraudulent activity
- Problematic accounts are reviewed by real people
- Access to blogs and tips for online dating safety
The Bottom Line – Catholic Match has an advanced digital security system that keeps your information safe even while you sleep. Anything that triggers the security system is then reviewed by real people, which also prevents legitimate members from finding themselves accidentally banned from the app.
6. Jdate – Help Learning to Date Safely Offline and On
- Magazine with expert tips for online dating and safety
- Customer service available every day
- Profiles frequently reviewed for inappropriate content or fraudulent activity
The Bottom Line – Jewish singles should love how safe Jdate makes online dating. Their resources for dating safety and 7 day a week customer service helps to keep members secure now and also educate them to be safe when meeting in real life. For that reason, JDate rounds out our top five list of the safest dating apps.
Why You Can Trust These Dating Apps to Keep You Safe
- These dating apps have dedicated security teams focused on proactively keeping you safe (instead of just reacting to anything that could be dangerous).
- Each of these apps has a blend of automatic/ built in security and real-life workers that take user concerns very seriously.
- Your personal information is kept private from third parties
- Encrypted chat forms keep your conversations safer than communicating through other apps or devices
- Access to additional safety education content helps prolong your safety after meeting a partner in real life.
You Still Have to Do Your Part to Stay Safe
Protecting yourself while dating online starts with choosing a safe dating app. Then, it takes using some self-awareness and adherence to general online safety tips. Let’s take a look at the best ways to keep yourself safe while online dating.
- Trust Your Guts – If your new online interest is telling stories that don’t quite line up or something about them makes you feel uneasy, trust your instincts. Your goal is to eventually meet this person in real life, and you don’t want to meet with anyone that makes you feel unsafe.
- Take Things Slow – Never let online partners (or real-life partners for that matter) pressure you into doing anything you aren’t comfortable with. You don’t need to meet up quickly, you don’t need to answer private or vulgar questions, and you definitely don’t need to participate in sexual activities that make you uncomfortable. If a user is pressuring you, reach out to your dating app’s customer service.
- Meet in Public – When the time comes to meet your new partner in the real world, pick a public place where you feel safe. Drive yourself to the date location and have plans to take yourself home as well. It is also a good idea to let a family member or friend know where you are going, who you are meeting, and when you should be back.
- Drive Separately – In our guide on whether you should let someone pick you up on a first (or second) date, we talk about the security issues that may come with hopping in the car with someone you don’t know. If this is at all a concern, just keep it simple and easy and drive separately.
- Don’t Send Money or Bank Info – It doesn’t matter how much you care for your match, what story they’ve fed you, or how many pictures of their sad, hungry puppy they share. Never send money to your matches. In fact, anyone requesting your money or financial information for any reason should be immediately reported and blocked.
- Keep Your Information Private – There is no need to reveal intimate, private information on your profile. Since these apps provide means of communication, there is no need to share phone numbers, addresses, social media handles, or even your last name. You should only reveal this type of information with matches that make you feel completely comfortable in doing so.
- Communicate Through Dating Apps Only (at first) – These dating apps have encrypted messaging systems that protect the information you send and receive. Their moderators can also spot abusive behavior in the chat, which can help protect you from scams, abuse, and fraud.
- Read Additional Resources on Dating Safety – There is no such thing as being too educated when it comes to online dating safety. For that reason, we’ve included a list of some additional guides you should absolutely check out.
Written By: Brandi Brown
Brandi Brown is a daytime copywriter and nighttime novelist. Her projects range from marketing content and commercial scripts all the way to narrative poetry and short fiction. Her debut novel, Bleached, is set to release in 2023.
✉ Contact Brandi: [email protected]