A few decades ago, being called a nerd was meant to be a pretty intense insult. The world has changed quite a bit over the years. Honestly, nerds are on top these days! Coming from a fellow nerd, it is great to see the world finally appreciating us for everything that makes us quirky and unique.
Still, I’m a realist. Just because nerdoms are starting to become popular doesn’t mean dating has become any easier. Hookup apps all still focus so heavy on appearances that our personalities don’t seem to matter. That’s why it is important to make sure you are using the best dating apps for nerds!
We have put together a list of the absolute best sites for nerds to use when online dating. They come with wonderful features, great modding, and so much more. If you want to see these apps and all the reasons we love them, just keep reading!
5 Best Dating App Options for Nerdy Singles
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#3||Elite Singles||Try Elite Singles|
|#5||Gamer Dating||Try Gamer Dating|
Table of Contents:
4 Reasons We Love These Nerd-Friendly Dating Apps
Why these sites? Great question. Here are five reasons that we made these selections.
1. These Apps Don’t Just Focus on Looks
Personally, we know that nerds can be super sexy! Still, hookup apps have not been historically helpful for the nerd community when it comes to dating and finding long-term romance. Our list of the best dating apps for nerds are great because they utilize algorithmic matching to ensure that every single is shown matches that have great potential based on their core personalities.
2. Their Mods and Customer Service are Phenomenal
If there is one thing nerdy singles say they are worried about when dating, it is trolls and bullies. We get it, nobody wants to feel like their matches are just pulling some elaborate prank on them. That’s why moderation is high up on our criteria for the best dating apps for nerds. The mod teams stay on top of the app to keep trolls, scammers, and general jerks off their platforms.
If you do run into a bad person, the customer service reps are available to quickly resolve the issue and protect you.
3. It’s Not a Nerd-Only Dating Site
While this might sound counterintuitive, it’s actually an important factor. Niche sites are a great idea in theory, but when it comes to how they usually pan out—not so great. Apps catering only to nerds might have the best sales pitch on the planet, but they’re going to have such a small userbase that you’re going to have no luck finding someone special. Instead, it’s better to use a mainstream dating app with a huge userbase that has adequate filters and features you can use to find exactly what you want.
4. They’re Technically With the Times
Most of us nerds are pretty great when it comes to technology. We tend to be on the cutting edge of what is out there. What this means is that it can drive us a little bonkers when we have to use websites or apps that feel like their from the 90s—and not in a cool retro sort of way. The best dating apps for nerds truly have the brightest minds designing and developing resulting in a top of the line technological experience.
Other Niche Nerd and Geek Dating App Options
As we mentioned, we’re bigger fans of leveraging the large userbases of the best dating apps for everyone and turning them into geek dating apps through the use of filters and features. That being said, some of you may still be wanting to check out the more specialty sites yourself (and that’s okay)! Here are a few of the more niche-based nerd dating apps that are available on the market.
Gamer Dating Options
- LFG Dating – While the concept seems nice, the app doesn’t have great ratings at all in the app store and the website looks like it needs a lot of work.
- Date Player Two – This is one option that we’re keeping our eyes on as it does look like they might be on the right track with this one. Still, it’s a little too knew with a little too little of publicity for us to get behind it. We’ll keep it on the radar, but it’s a no for now.
If you’re looking for a great option in this category, we highly recommend checking out our dedicated gamer dating apps and sites page.
Sci-Fi Dating Options
- Trek Passions – Again, great idea and something we think would be neat for Trekkies. However, the website is not great and clearly has not been updated in a long, long time. We’d recommend steering your ship clear of this one.
- Sci Fi Dating Site – While sci-fi movies like to go back to the past, we’d prefer our technology not do the same. This site is over a decade old but the problem is the website is as well. It even still says “copyright 2013” at the bottom of the home page.
Geek Dating Options
- Geek2Geek – While still not on our recommended list, this is probably the better looking of the sites in this niche section. The problem, though, is this site shows “copyright 2019”, which means it’s certainly not being meticulously maintained which for us means security concerns.
How to Feel Confident Dating as a Nerdy Single
Often, there is a stereotype that nerds and geeks don’t have the confidence that they should when it comes to dating. And unfortunately, that is a stereotype that is sometimes true.
But it doesn’t have to be! Here are a few tips to tackle dating and online dating with the confidence that you deserve to have!
- Know Your Worth – Nerdy or not, you are a catch! Everything about you makes you a unique and interesting person, and there is someone out there looking for someone exactly like you. Go into your date knowing that you are worth love and respect, and if your date doesn’t agree – well they weren’t the one you are looking for!
- Dress to Impress (Yourself) – Put on something that makes you look in the mirror and smile! If you love the way you look, you will feel so much more confident on your date. That confidence will be apparent and make you look even more attractive!
- Do Things You Love – If you are nervous about a first date, hold it in a place that makes you feel confident. Love your local arcade? Bring your date there to try and beat your high scores. Love museums? Give your date a personal tour of one of your favorites for an intimate experience.
- Take the Lead – You don’t have to wait around for your date to make decisions or spark conversation. Take the reigns and you will be able to keep the date focused on things and topics that make you comfortable.
Nerd Dating App FAQ
What is the best dating app for nerds and geeks?
The best dating app for nerds and geeks is Zoosk. While not 100% geared towards this niche, it’s a great opportunity for singles to leverage the large userbase (35 million+) and the robust search filters to find exactly what they’re looking for.
Are these dating apps for nerds safe to use?
Yes! Our pick for the best dating apps for nerds are great because they allow you to get to know someone before meeting them in person. Plus, their top-notch moderation can help protect you from jerks and trolls.
Are there niche dating apps for nerds?
Honestly, there are niche dating apps for just about everything these days. However, niche apps really limit your user pool and don’t focus as heavily on modern functionality and user security. That’s why we opt for mainstream apps with fantastic search functionality.