If you want to get an idea of how many single folks there are in South Korea, you just need to look at household data. Over 30% of households consist of one person, more than in previous years. But the number of singles isn’t the only thing on the rise. Online dating is also surging here, as more adults try to change their status from “single” to “taken.”
Lots of Koreans hope to find love close to home, while others are looking abroad. And then some Koreans live in America and hope to find a mate with the same background.
We’ve found the best Korean dating apps for all situations. Just click on a link to go over the top choices for dating locally, internationally, or in the United States.
Best Korean Dating Apps in the United States
eHarmony – Best for Marital Satisfaction
More than half of Koreans living in the United States are married, but just over 30% of U.S.-born Koreans are. So, why are some folks waiting to tie the knot? There are various reasons, but often, it comes down to worrying about a lack of marital satisfaction.
Researchers dug into some data to find out what Korean Americans need to be satisfied in marriages and discovered that the majority of men and women want the following:
- physical satisfaction
Plus, women want their partners to be faithful to them. And if we’re being honest, we bet a lot of men do, too, although they didn’t mention that as often to researchers.
It’s hard to know if someone checks all those boxes when meeting in the real world. Fortunately, eHarmony is here to do all the hard work. The compatibility questionnaire digs into everything from the desire to have children to your feelings about cheating and sexuality. Then, it reviews your answers and matches you with people that share your views.
- Clinical psychologist helped create the compatibility questionnaire
- Matching algorithm pairs people based on factors needed for successful relationships
- Most popular with users aged 30-44
- Majority of members are pursuing serious relationships or marriage
- Couples that meet on eHarmony report high rates of marital satisfaction and low rates of divorce
- Users can search by ethnicity to find Korean singles
The Bottom Line: eHarmony helps singles find their forever partners. It’s ideal for people looking for serious relationships or marriage, and you can sign up for free. Start by creating your account on eHarmony today.
EliteSingles – Best for Professional Korean Americans
Did you know that Korean Americans are one of the most well-educated and highest-paid ethnic groups in the United States? Many Korean Americans own successful businesses, and members of the community tackle other professional careers as well.
Some folks might have trouble understanding your drive and ambition if you’re career-oriented. Plus, most people won’t get why you devote so many hours to work and might demand more of your time. And speaking of time, setting aside enough to find someone is yet another obstacle.
But you can avoid these problems and find true love on EliteSingles.
Unlike mainstream dating sites, this one’s geared toward hard-working, successful professionals. With that in mind, it makes matching as quick and easy as possible. The questionnaire learns about members without taking up too much time, and the site only sends 3-7 matches a day.
- Matching algorithm based on the Five Factor model
- Receive 3-7 matches per day
- Most members are successful professionals
- Search by ethnicity, income, and education
The Bottom Line: EliteSingles does an excellent job of connecting professionals with other career-oriented singles. It’s easy to use, and you won’t have to spend hours looking for matches. Try it for yourself by creating a free account today.
Best International Korean Dating Apps
KoreanCupid – Best for Finding Marriage Material Overseas
As part of Cupid Media’s network of websites, KoreanCupid is a trusted name in international dating. It’s open to people around the globe, but most members are in South Korea, the United States, Australia, Canada, and the U.K.
Because it’s a marriage-minded international dating site, Koreans can add their relocation preferences to their profiles. For instance, if you want to relocate to the U.S., you can select it under the “More About Me” section on your profile.
Oh, and get this – paid members receive instant message translation. That means you never have to worry about a language barrier getting in the way of love.
- Matches Koreans with Westerners
- Koreans can also use it for local dating, although that’s not as common
- Instantly translates messages for paid members
- Members can include relocation preferences in their profiles
- Most Korean members are seeking a serious relationship with Western partners
- Advanced matching algorithm for paid members
The Bottom Line: KoreanCupid makes it easy for marriage-minded Koreans and Westerners to connect. You can review matches and communicate with paid members if you have a free account, but it’s worth upgrading for the extra features. First, though, set up a free account to check it out.
Zoosk – Best for Casual Dating on a Global Scale
Most Westerners think Koreans are only interested in dating if it’ll lead to marriage, but we’re here to dispel that myth. Sure, lots of Korean singles hope to meet their forever partners, but the casual dating scene is heating up.
If you’re tired of all the pressure to get married and want to have some fun, Zoosk is the perfect fit. The app has more than 40 million members in Korea and around the world, and the majority want something short-term, although some are pursuing serious relationships.
It’s really popular with college students, but you’ll also find members in their 30s and up. Oh, and tourists often use Zoosk to meet people when traveling, so you never know who you might meet.
- More than 40 million members in Korea and around the world
- Available in various languages, including Korean
- The majority of members are looking for casual dates, but some want serious relationships
- The smart matching algorithm learns as it goes
- Match with people locally or use it for international dating
- Get to know matches with Zoosk Live and Great Dates
The Bottom Line: Casual dating is fun and easy with Zoosk. With over 40 million members, you’ll have your pick of singles. See how it works by creating a free account today.
Best Local Korean Dating Apps
The League – Best for Successful Singles in Seoul
South Korea’s economy is booming, and the world has taken notice. The country has put in the effort to attract professionals from around the world, so there’s a nice mix of local and international talent – especially in Seoul. No wonder around half the country’s millionaires reside in the capital city.
If you count yourself among the go-getters, you probably want to find a mate that shares your burning passion. Otherwise, you might lose your drive – or end up with a failed relationship.
That’s why we’re so excited to announce that The League has launched in Seoul. This local dating app is available in select cities around the world and is only open to high performers. All applications are verified by human eyes, and only 20-30% are accepted.
- Meet executives, directors, lawyers, and other top professionals
- Block your personal and professional contacts from seeing you on the dating app
- All profiles are verified and authenticated
- Applicants go on a waiting list before being accepted or denied
- Set specific preferences for your matches
- Features include Video Speed Dating, Video Chat, and Party Scout
The Bottom Line: You never have to lower your standards when using The League. Instead, you can find matches that are just as motivated and special as you are. Check it out by applying for The League today.
Noondate – Best for Mutual Connections
Noondate is one of the most popular Korean dating apps, and for a good reason. It’s unlike all the other dating sites, so it’s easy to get hooked.
See, the dating app sends each member two potential matches each day at noon and 8 p.m. Each match is specifically selected based on interests and location, and you can improve the quality by filling out your profile completely.
Once you receive your matches, click on a profile card to learn more about the person. You can like the person’s profile if you’re interested. If the person also likes your profile, you can chat in the app.
- Receive two profile cards at noon and 8 p.m. each day
- Chat with mutual matches
- Facebook authentication ensures people are legitimate
- Receive better matches by providing detailed profile information
- Approximately 30,000 matches daily
The Bottom Line: Noondate is a fun and innovative way to meet South Korean singles. Set up a free account if you’d like to check it out.
Where to Meet Singles in Korea
Korea is a great place for dating, thanks to all the available singles. More than 40 percent of South Koreans in their 30s are still single, and many would like to find that special someone. And it’s not just those in their 30s that are looking for love. We’ve discovered that adult Koreans in all age groups are searching for a plus one.
With numbers like that, you know you can find single folks across South Korea. Still, you can increase your odds by looking in one of the cities with the most singles.
We recommend setting your Korean dating site to search for singles in the following:
Finding Korean Singles Outside of Korea
Koreans are spread out throughout the world, so you aren’t limited to Korea when searching for your match. The following countries have high Korean populations:
- United States
If you want to increase your odds, we recommend looking in the United States. The country is home to nearly two million Koreans, more than anywhere outside Korea. You can find the most eligible Koreans in the following cities:
- Los Angeles, CA
- New York, NY
- Washington D.C.
- Seattle, WA
- Chicago, IL
- San Francisco, CA
- Atlanta, GA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Dallas, TX
- San Jose, CA
Dating Culture in Korea: What You Need to Know
If you’re a Westerner, you might be a little worried about making a mistake when pursuing a Korean single. After all, the dating culture’s different, so you could inadvertently step on some toes. But you can avoid that by learning about Korean dating culture.
Here are some things you need to know:
- Younger Koreans have bucked the trend that men should pay for dates. Sometimes, the higher earner pays the bill, and other times, they split it down the middle.
- Holding hands is as steamy as it gets in public, so don’t push PDA.
- Celebrating every 100 days of the relationship is common in Korea, especially with the younger crowd.
- Koreans like to stay in contact with their other halves, so expect lots of texts and messages through the dating app.
Are you worried about celebrating every 100 days? That’s a lot of pressure, but you can meet the challenge by checking out our anniversary gift-giving guides.