What are you looking to get out dating? Do you want love, marriage, the works? Maybe you just want a piece of eye candy to keep you company on a lonely night.
No matter your goal, modern digital dating can easily accommodate your needs. In fact, there are dozens upon dozens of apps out there that claim they can match gay singles with the perfect partner. You could waste your time trying to find the app with everything you need, or you could let us save you the hassle.
If you want to easily find the best gay dating apps, take a look at our list!
1. Elite Singles – Best Gay Dating App for Finding a Partner with Real Potential
- Personality test for optimal matching.
- Large user base filled with talented/driven singles.
- Users are looking for serious, committed relationships.
The Bottom Line – Elite Singles is our top pick for gay dating apps because it allows members to use their personality matching system in tandem with a great search function. This creates a dating space where you can find compatible partners that meet all your personal dating criteria.
2. Grindr – Best Gay Dating App for Casual Hookups and Flings
- Best app for fast and casual matchups.
- Choose between the free app or the paid, premium version.
- Users on Grindr are all looking for casual hookups, so no need to worry about hurt feelings.
The Bottom Line – Dating doesn’t always have to be about finding true love or marriage. If you are looking for something fun, casual, and a little faster paced, Grindr is for you. The app is intuitive and quick to learn, so you can find a casual partner anywhere and any time.
3. eHarmony – Best Gay Dating App for Long-term Relationships
- Has a long-term history of creating healthy, happy marriages.
- Premium memberships start as low as $10/month.
- Utilizes comprehensive personality assessment to create matches.
The Bottom Line – eHarmony is one of the best apps for gay dating because it is one of the best apps for literally anyone looking for a long-term partner. The intricate and detailed matching system has resulted in more marriages than any other dating app and the monthly cost for premium membership is one of the lowest out there.
4. Scruff – Best Gay Dating App for Travelers
- User base is huge (15+ million).
- Moderators keep the app free of spammers and bots.
- Chat with men locally or around the world.
The Bottom Line – Take your search for love and romance on the road. Scruff is one of the best apps for gay dating because it caters to those looking for relationships wherever they are. If you like dating to be fun and accessible, Scruff is for you.
What is The Best Gay Dating App for a Long-Term Relationship?
The best apps for gay dating with the goal of prolonged commitment are Elite Singles and eHarmony. Both apps focus on building a user base that is seeking long-term romance and even marriage.
What Is the Best App for Gay Dating If I Am Interested in Casual Dating?
The best apps for gay singles looking for casual romance are Grindr and Scruff. Whether you are looking for singles in your hometown or trying to find company while away from home, both these apps cater to finding some short-term fun.
Tips for Using Gay Dating Apps Safely
Maintaining your safety while using dating apps should be the number one priority for both you and the app’s moderators. We have helped you out by including gay dating apps with mods and customer service reps who care about your well-being. However, there is only so much they can do.
It is up to you to look for red flags and follow basic online dating safety tips to ensure you don’t end up the victim of fraud – or something worse.
To get started, here are some important tips to help you stay safe while using dating apps:
- Never reveal personal and private information to untrustworthy people.
- If someone seems too good to be true, consider the real possibility that they might be.
- Report harassment or suspicious accounts to customer service/ mods as soon as you can.
- Don’t link to your social media in your dating profile.
- Don’t say or do anything you are uncomfortable with.
Additional Tips for Real-World Dating Safety
If you are using dating apps, chances are your goal is to someday meet a match in real life. Once you step out into the real world with your date, the responsibility of your safety falls solely on you. No matter where you meet your date, there are some simple ways to help keep yourself safe.
- Video Chat or Bust: If your date refuses to video chat prior to meeting, it should be considered a pretty major red flag. Video chatting allows your date to prove they are who they say they are. Refusing to provide you with visual assurance of their identity is a big indicator that you are dealing with a less than trustworthy partner.
- Keep Family and/or Friends Informed: Before you head out on your date, drop a line to one of your trusted friends or family members. Let them know where you are going, who you are with, and when you should be back. That way if something untoward happens, your support system will no sooner rather than later.
- Opt for Daylight: Sure, nighttime dates are pretty romantic, but until you know your partner well, it is a good idea to stick to daylight dates. This lets others around you act as something of a shield against inappropriate behavior.
- Get Your Own Ride: Even if your date offers to give you a ride, you should stick with a driving service or your own vehicle. The last thing you want is to find out your partner isn’t a very nice person while you are stuck inside their personal vehicle.
Written By: Brandi Brown
Brandi Brown is a daytime copywriter and nighttime novelist. Her projects range from marketing content and commercial scripts all the way to narrative poetry and short fiction. Her debut novel, Bleached, is set to release in 2021.