When it comes to black dating, knowing what you want is rarely the problem. Knowing where to find what you want, though—that’s where it can seem tricky. Luckily, there are plenty of black dating sites out there that can help you connect with other likeminded single men and women!
But what is the best dating site for black singles? Should you use an app that caters to all ethnic backgrounds or something more niche focused? In this guide, we’re going to answer all of these questions and a whole lot more.
The Top 7 Black Dating Sites
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#2||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#7||Black People Meet||Free Trial|
1. eHarmony – Best Overall Pick for Black Dating
The hands-down best black dating site out there is eHarmony. As a whole, the site boasts helping over 2 million people from all ethnic backgrounds find love with active users sending over 2.3 million messages every single week. In 2020, a data study found that eHarmony was best dating app to help people reach their relationship goals and find a happy relationship.
For black singles, the name of the game is flexibility. If you only want to date black singles, you can set that in your preferences and that’s all you see. If you’re open to dating any race, you can set that in your preferences as well. And with millions and millions of members, no matter how you set those preferences, you’re going to find plenty of singles who are ready to take the next step towards love.
2. Elite Singles – Best for Black Professionals
Despite the challenges that can sometimes arise in certain professional settings, black women and black men prove time and time again that they are powerhouses of industry, business, and creativity. And if you’re someone looking for a black dating site where you can meet some of these movers and shakers, you’re looking for Elite Singles.
Much like eHarmony, you’ll have options for black dating only or to expand to other ethnic backgrounds depending on your preferences. And when it comes to the quality of singles at Elite Singles? Over 85% hold an above-average level of education or certification in their respective fields. This means the best and the brightest are here waiting to meet someone just like you.
3. Zoosk – The Most Options to Choose From
35 million. That’s the number of singles you’re going to find on Zoosk—and wow, is that number impressive. When it comes to dating apps for black people, Zoosk is a site that should be at the top of every conversation. The site is easy to navigate, allows you to select your ethnicity preferences (and change them easily), and is one of the most affordable black dating sites on the list.
One thing we also like about Zoosk is it can be used on your computer or your phone (iOS and Android). So, if you’re someone who is always on the go—it’s ready to accommodate you. At the absolute very least we recommend checking out the Zoosk free trial to search for the singles who are online in your area right now. You never know who might be just around the corner (or click of a mouse)!
4. SilverSingles – Ideal for Black Seniors
If you’re 50 years or older and looking to find a great black dating app, you’re in for a treat. SilverSingles, the leader in senior dating, is also a fantastic option for black singles. The app only allows singles over the age of 50, which makes it a safe haven for those looking to date people in the same season of life as they are.
Additionally, SilverSingles is one of the most affordable dating options on our list that still maintains a high level of quality, features, and support. If you’re looking for black dating sites and you’re in your best years—go with SilverSingles.
5. AfroIntroductions – Best for African Singles
With nearly 5 million members, AfroIntroductions has quietly stamped its place in the black dating app scene. Powered by the Cupid Media network of sites, AfroIntroductions is designed specifically for African singles who live in the US, Africa, or abroad. It’s a healthy mix of local dating within a culture, as well as an international option for people who want to date across borders.
The site is easy to use, super affordable, and could be where your special someone is waiting for you. Much like Zoosk, we recommend at a bare minimum creating a free account and searching through the singles in your area (or abroad).
6. BLK – Swipe-Style Dating
When it comes to black dating apps, we shouldn’t be surprised that a Tinder-esque option made its way onto the scene. For black singles looking for swipe-style dating, BLK might be worth your while. It’s a newer app but has grown quickly in size, thanks to the backing from a rather large parent company.
If you’re looking for something a little more serious or less looks-focused, BLK might not be the right pick for you. But if you like Tinder and you’d prefer a Tinder with only other black singles, then BLK is probably worth a try.
7. BlackPeopleMeet – Oldest Black Dating Site
One of the OGs when it comes to black dating sites is BlackPeopleMeet. Operated by People Media (the sister company to Match.com), BlackPeopleMeet is a pretty traditional dating app but only for black singles. Unlike some of the other options on our list, there really aren’t going to be any options if you decide you are open to dating other ethnic groups. But if that’s not a concern of yours, then that’s not going to be a negative at all.
The site does have a bit of an “I need a makeover” look to it, but it still works well and is available on iOS and Google Play.
Table of Contents:
Why We Love These Black Dating Sites
Transparency is so important when it comes to recommendations, and that’s something we certainly value. For that reason, we wanted to share a few of the reasons we selected these as the best dating apps for black people.
- Lots of black single men and women – This is always going to be at the top of the list. If a dating app doesn’t have a ton of high quality black singles in your age bracket, the site is pointless even if everything else is perfect. All of these dating apps come packed with singles.
- Options to filter for interracial dating – We fully understand that people have different wants and needs when it comes to dating, and we think that a great dating site should honor that. While some of these recommended black dating sites are only for black people, many of them do have options to set preferences to see other ethnicities in case interracial dating is something you’re interested in.
- Plenty of room to share what makes you, you – The only way you’re going to connect with the right person for you is if you have the freedom to share the unique things that make you, you. The black dating sites we’ve recommended have robust profiles, room to upload a lot of photos, and interest fields to showcase everything that makes you awesome.
- Security and proactive support – No matter what or who you are looking for online, it needs to be safe. And while some of that responsibility always falls on the user, the black dating sites need to do their part too. This includes things like message encryption, safe purchase integrations, overall site security, and a proactive support team seeking out scammers and fake profiles.
- Actively investing in growth of the brand – Unfortunately, a lot of the best black dating sites tend to become stagnant after seeing success. What this means is they stop investing as aggressively in the growth and sustainment of the brand. What this means for you is far fewer singles joining every month. For that reason, we look for brands that are actively investing in growth, expansion, and upgrades.
Niche Black Dating Apps
While we already touched on BLK and Black People Meet earlier in the guide, we did want to address why we’ve included so many mainstream dating apps (for all ethnicities) in our guide. We also wanted to share a few more niche-based options in case that’s what you’re looking for.
The reason for more mainstream options is simple. Niche apps sound like a great idea. However, they often fall flat because they don’t have the same resources as bigger mainstream dating apps to bring in the quantity and quality of singles. What you often end up with are small sites without a diverse group of quality singles to choose from.
Additionally, just because you’re black doesn’t mean that you might not want to date someone from another race. Because of that, we want to make sure that the black dating sites we recommend give you that option. But, that they also give you the option to only see black singles if that’s more your speed.
Ideally, they produce the best of both worlds and therefore are really the best dating sites for black people. But just in case you really want to see some other options out there, here are a few more to consider.
- Black Cupid – This is one black dating site that was extremely close to making our top list solely on the fact that it comes from the reputable Cupid Media Network of sites (just like AfroIntroductions). What we’d like to see before we move it up is a little more growth in the size of the userbase. That being said, this is one niche app that is also probably worth a quick search with a free account to see how popular it is in your area.
- AfroRomance – Targeting mainly interracial dating, AfroRomance does look like a black dating site in major need of a facelift. We did like that they showcase pictures of happy couples showing a track record of success. However, the look and feel of the site gives us some serious concerns about security, features, and whether or not someone is truly investing what is needed into the site. For us, this is going to be a pass.
- RBL (Real Black Love) – RBL s an interesting one because they make some pretty big claims about their numbers and the quality of their singles, but we’re not quite sure if they can be validated. We also get a little weirded out when a black dating app brags about having real people on it. Yes, that’s a concern of the industry as a whole, but makes us curious why it’s being brought up. Overall, this looks like a decent dating app, but there are better options out there.
- BlackSingles.com – The last niche black dating site on our list is BlackSingles.com. What’s interesting is that the homepage (which looks aggressively outdated) mentions being a part of the Spark Network of sites. Spark Network is one of the most respected brands in the industry known for its quality and upkeep. That all being said, it looks like this site is one they may have decided to prioritize resources away from. Again, there are probably better options out there.
How to Choose the Best Black Dating Site
What we wanted to do is include some steps to help you if you’re having some trouble picking out the best black dating site for you. If you follow these steps, you should be able to find an option that truly fits your wants and needs and brings you the success you’re looking for.
1. Write down what you’re looking for in detail.
Start by figuring out what it is that you’re looking for in your online dating experience. Here are some specific questions you can ask yourself to guide that research.
- Do I only want to date black singles, or am I open to dating other ethnicities?
- Am I looking for a serious relationship or casual dating?
- Is there a particular type of single I am looking for? What characteristics do they have?
- What are my deal breakers? (The things you refuse to bend on)
- How much time do I have to commit to the process?
2. Gather a list of potential black dating sites.
Take your answers from the previous step and start comparing them against the different options that are out there. We’ve done the hard part of pulling together a good, safe, and reliable starting list of black dating sites. Now it’s up to you to look through each option and see which might be the best fit for you.
3. Use free trials to start searching and testing.
Once you’ve narrowed things down to two or three black dating site options, it’s time to start trying things out. Use the free trial links provided to start seeing which site might be best for you. Some of the things you should try out include:
- Create a profile and upload photos
- Search for singles in your area
- Test out the search features and matching preferences
- Check out other users profiles
4. Make a decision.
Once you’ve tried out a few sites, make a decision. Choose one or two black dating sites that you think are really worth your time, effort, and money. Upgrade to a premium membership and get after it! You will see in the next section why we’re big advocates for paying for a premium membership instead of trying to use free black dating sites.
5. Reassess as needed.
After a few weeks or months, see how things are going. If you’re loving the site, keep after it! If you’ve already found someone, awesome! If it’s not feeling like a great fit and you have really been putting in effort, consider trying out a different option. But before you do that, realistically make sure you’ve been putting in the effort needed to produce results.
Free Black Dating vs. Paid
One of the first places a lot of people start when searching for black dating apps is “free black dating.” And, frankly, we don’t blame you one bit. If you can meet quality singles without having to spend a penny, then by all means—you go for that.
The problem, though, is the idea of free black dating just doesn’t live up to what we all wish it would. When you pay to join a dating site, yes, you are paying to get access to message the other singles. However, you area also paying for a lot more that might not be quite as evident. You’re paying for customer support, features, security, the removal of scam and spam accounts, and access to a higher quality pool of singles who are more committed to the process.
With free black dating apps, though, you miss out on most of that. The sites don’t have the same financial resources to invest back into the quality of your experience. The outcome? You end up sifting through scammers, fake accounts, spam, inappropriate pictures, and many more unsavory things.
The cliché that you get what you pay for might not have been originally written for the online dating industry, but it sure as heck fits it like a glove. If you’re serious about finding someone special and it’s important to you, invest in a good black dating site. You might be surprised to find out that the cost of a premium membership is way more affordable than you ever thought.
Is it Wrong to Only Want to Date Other Black Singles?
We live in a world now where people are always preaching that we should not see color. They say that we should look at someone and not see any color but only see a person. While we know their intentions are good, we do disagree slightly.
What we think they mean to say is that you shouldn’t see people for the incorrect and negative stereotypes that are attached to them. There is nothing wrong with being more attracted to a different color of skin. There is nothing wrong with wanting to date someone that will probably understand you and your culture much better and more quickly.
Basically, it’s not wrong at all to know what you want and go after it. If people have an issue with it, that’s their problem. You’re not on a search to find the perfect match for them. You’re on the search to find the perfect match for YOU. If that happens to be someone you find at a dating site for black people, then more power to you!
Most people in this world struggle to know what they want. You should feel awesome that you’re a step ahead and know what you are and are not attracted to.
Black Dating Site FAQ
What is the best black dating site?
The best dating sites for black people are eHarmony and Elite Singles.
Are there dedicated dating apps for black singles?
Yes, there are many dedicated dating apps for black singles including AfroIntroductions, BLK, BlackPeopleMeet, and Black Cupid. However, many dating apps that serve a wider array of ethnic groups might still be the best option for black singles.
Where can I meet black guys?
When it comes to meeting black guys, you can meet them in all the same places that you’d meet guys of any ethnicity. That being said, dating apps for black people are a surefire way to find a lot of options quickly.
Where can I meet black girls?
Much like we mentioned in the last question, you can meet black girls in the same spots as you’d meet girls of any other ethnic group. But if you really want to focus in on only meeting black girls, dating apps for black people are a great way to see results fast.
How much do black dating sites cost to purchase a membership?
The range of pricing of black dating sites goes from around $10 per month up to around $50 per month, depending on which site you choose.