The old folks might say that kids these days don’t get serious about anything. While it’s true that fewer 20-somethings than ever are dating with marriage in mind, that doesn’t mean they aren’t dating seriously.
If you’re dating in your 20’s, you’re very serious about meeting sexy, fun people who make you feel like the rockstar you are! And luckily there are plenty of dating apps for 20s to meet one another, whether you’re looking to keep it casual or hoping to meet the love of your life.
Top 6 Dating Apps for 20s
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#1||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#3||Christian Mingle||Free Trial|
Hookup Culture vs. Relationships in Your 20s
Much has been written condemning hookup culture, in which partners engage in sexual encounters without the expectation of an emotional connection. Hookup culture may not be the way our parents did things, but we live in a different world! Now, people in their twenties have a boundless array of possibilities for careers and life goals, not to mention less financial stability and more debt, which means having children is more likely to be a “someday” goal. In today’s world it is equally natural to want to keep your options open or to want a lasting relationship to help you navigate all the uncertainty.
If you’re looking for a casual dating experience, dating apps are the ideal way to go! Sure, you can hit the bars, but with an app you don’t have to spend a ton of money buying drinks to find a connection. Not only can you meet people outside your usual circles, you can also be completely up front and explain in your profile what you’re looking for, so you have better chances of finding someone like minded.
20-somethings looking for a relationship can also enjoy those benefits. Dating sites allow you to be clear about your hope to find something lasting with a partner who is the total package. No matter your reasons, it is totally normal to want to find a long term partner with whom you can share your 20’s and beyond.
Tips for 20 Year Olds Look for a Serious Relationship
- Be clear about what you want – It is always important to let potential matches know what you’re looking for. This will help you find people who share your relationship goals.
- Be open to different kinds of people – Rather than focusing on traits you would have in a perfect match, set loose guidelines on dating apps and focus on the big picture when reading a profile. You wouldn’t want to miss out on someone amazing just because they had a tiny flaw! For more, check out our article, Why Mr. or Ms. Perfect Does Not Exist.
- Look for shared values over shared interests – When it comes to creating a life with someone, shared values are absolutely necessary. You can love all the same music and share a passion for poodles, but if you don’t agree on the fundamentals your relationship isn’t likely to go far.
- Don’t wait for a relationship to be the person you want to be – Sometimes it feels like that great trip you want to take or the club you want to join would be so much more fun if only you had the right person on your arm. Don’t wait! Doing the things you want to do with your life now will make you a thousand times more attractive to people who share your interests.
Tips for 20 Year Olds Looking for Casual Dating
- Be up front with your expectations – Make it clear that you’re looking for short-term or casual fun, if that’s what you’re looking for. Starting off with honesty will help reduce the potential for drama later on.
- Reach out first – Don’t just match with people, say hello! If nobody reaches out first, there’s no conversation and no first meet. If you’re nervous or aren’t sure what to say, here is a great first-message guide to help you make a good impression.
- Yes you have to fill out your profile – Just because you aren’t looking for something serious doesn’t mean potential matches don’t want to know who they’re talking to. As we discuss in our article, Reasons You’re Not Getting a Response, the next move someone makes after reading a message is to read your profile to gauge whether or not they want to respond. Give them something to respond to!
- Try anything once – Date and talk to people you wouldn’t usually date! Since you’re keeping it casual, there’s no pressure to find Mr. or Ms. Right. Look outside your usual preferences to find connections with people who have different perspectives. You might learn something about yourself in the process, plus you increase your chances of getting to that first meet.
Is dating harder in your 20s?
If you’re honest with yourself and others about what you want from your love life, dating will be easy at any age. The great thing about dating in your 20’s is that a higher percentage of your peers are single.
How do I find love in my 20s?
You can try the bar scene, join a club, or go to singles events, but dating sites and Apps, for 20somethings, are hands-down the easiest way to meet a wide variety of potential partners.
Why is dating so hard in your 20s?
Broad cultural ideas about dating may have stayed largely the same, but expectations for our lives have changed drastically through the last few generations. People in their 20’s today have more debt, less financial stability, less job security and a broader array of career options than their counterparts thirty years ago did. That instability can contribute to insecurity, a feeling that one is not ready for a relationship, or a sense that life is too overwhelming to handle the work it takes to have a relationship.
It doesn’t have to be hard though! If you want to date, just do it! Throw up your hands to everything else and just put yourself out there. You don’t have to be perfect to meet someone who’s perfect for you!
All you need for successfully dating in your 20s is a desire to meet people who make you feel good and a willingness to take the steps necessary toward meeting them–and since you’re reading this article, we’re guessing the time is right for you. Whether you want to find your soul mate, a romantic fling or an activity buddy, you can do this!
So get out there! Sign up for one of the apps above today, build your profile, and start talking to potential matches!