By: Jason Lee | Updated 2021
Technology has revolutionized the way we find love. You don’t have to set foot within 100 miles of a bar these days to find what you’re looking for. The best dating apps connect like-minded singles from all over the country and the globe together with the swipe of a finger or the touch of a button!
There are dating apps for relationships, marriage, hooking up, friends first, straight, gay, lesbian, transgender, Black, Latino, Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim—it’s an endless list of options.
So, how do you know what are the best dating apps? That’s where we come in. Our team has cultivated a list of the absolute best apps for dating out there. We’re here to help you avoid the duds, find the studs, and get closer to what you’re looking for.
Top 8 Online Dating Apps and Websites
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link||Best for|
|#1||eHarmony||Free Trial||Best for Relationships|
|#2||Elite Singles||Free Trial||Best for Professionals|
|#3||Zoosk||Free Trial||Best for Casual or Serious|
|#4||Christian Mingle||Free Trial||Best for Christian Relationships|
|#5||Passion||Free Trial||Best for Hooking Up|
|#6||Silver Singles||Free Trial||Best for Over 50|
|#7||Seeking Arrangement||Free Trial||Best for Sugar Dating|
|#8||Jdate||Free Trial||Best for Jewish Singles|
1. eHarmony – Best for Relationships
There’s a reason that so many people call eHarmony the best dating app across the board—because it works. To date, over 2 million people have found love through the app, which works out to a new couple about every 14 minutes! By the time you get done reading this article, another couple will have found love. Maybe you’re next?
What we love about the eHarmony dating app is that it focuses heavily on creating real relationships. If you’re in the market for a hookup or something casual, this is certainly not the best dating app for you. But if you’re looking for a meaningful relationship and possibly something that could turn into marriage, eHarmony is a must.
Compared to the rest of the industry, eHarmony is a bit more expensive than other dating apps. But—expect to get a ton of features that make it worth every penny. You’ll get access to the guided communication, compatibility matching algorithm, video dating feature, and the ability to message the singles you match best with. Over 2.3 million messages are sent weekly, so you know that there is action across the board.
- Singles find love on this dating app every 14 minutes
- Over 2 million singles have found love through eHarmony
- Known for the highest quality of serious singles
- Best dating app for serious relationships
- Incredible track record of matchmaking success
- Extremely high quality pool of singles
- Memberships more expensive than some sites
- Not good for casual dating or hookups
Who is the eHarmony dating app best for? Ideally, eHarmony is best for anyone in their mid 20’s up to mid-to-late 60s. You will find singles on the app outside of this bracket, but that’s where most of the activity is. If you’re looking for a serious relationship, value real conversation, and are tired of flaky daters—eHarmony should be at the top of the best dating apps list for you.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 700,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 92%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 644,000
The Bottom Line – eHarmony is easily at the top of the best dating apps list for this year. With the number of singles, the quality of the product, and the proven track record—this one’s worth every penny.
2. Elite Singles – Best for Professionals
If you’re searching for singles that are educated, high-quality, and active in the dating process, Elite Singles should be your go-to best dating app. Let’s talk about why. First, you have almost 400,000 new members joining every month (based on a recent data study). That means all over the world you’re going to see a TON of singles ready to meet. And the fact that Elite Singles works to remove any spam or fake profiles, truly makes this one of the best dating apps on the market.
The dating app is free to download and get set up. Additionally, the app syncs perfectly with the desktop website version, in case you ever want to send a message or search for singles from your desktop. As a member of the Spark Network, you can expect several things from this dating app, including a slick interface, quality singles, and an affordable pricing structure. Putting Elite Singles on our list of the best dating apps was a no-brainer. You’re going to love it!
Elite Singles Highlights
- An impressive 381,000+ new members monthly on average
- Profiles checked daily to remove spam or fake profiles
- Over 90% of singles on the app have an above-average education
- 381,000+ new members per month
- Good for serious dating, but still casual
- Fake profiles removed immediately
- Not ideal for finding hookups
- Only good for singles from 30-50 years old
Who is the Elite Singles app best for? The ideal customer for this dating app is between the ages of 30 and 50, has an above-average education or training, and is looking for something either casual or serious. If you’re outside of this age bracket or just looking for random hookups, this isn’t the best dating app for you.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 350,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 94%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 329,000
The Bottom Line – Elite Singles is one of the best dating apps for young professionals, business owners, and people who like to date other educated singles. Over 90% of the members are 30+ and hold an above-average education.
3. Zoosk – Best for All Types of Relationships
While the name might be tough to pronounce, the positives aren’t hard to see. The Zoosk dating app is a fantastic option for singles who are looking for casual dating, serious relationships, or something in between (or if you’re not sure yet).
Here are some impressive numbers to pay attention to. First—40 million users. That’s the most we’ve heard about anywhere by a lot. If you’re looking for a place that has the numbers and the most options, Zoosk needs to be your go-to.
Second—are these members active? Well, according to site data, you see upwards of an average of 3 million messages sent on the app every single day. That’s a resounding yes to that question, and if that’s not enough to get you excited, we’re not sure what is.
- Started in 2007
- Over 3 million messages sent daily
- Park of the esteemed Spark Network
- 40 million plus accounts
- Swipe-style dating options
- Good features with free trial plan
- Ads during the free trial
Who is the Zoosk app best for? It feels wrong to answer one of these questions with “everybody,” however, that’s really the right answer here. You’ve got an incredibly diverse (and big) user base of singles. Some are looking for casual, some are looking for serious, and some are in the middle. It’s a great spot if you aren’t sure too.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 2,700,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 81%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 2,187,000
The Bottom Line – Zoosk is a great fit, especially for those who aren’t sure what they’re looking for. Expect to see some people in the same boat, though. Unlike a site like eHarmony where most people have a good idea what they’re looking for.
4. Christian Mingle – Best for Christian Singles
No matter what denomination you are or how seriously you take your faith, you’re going to LOVE the Christian Mingle dating app. Unlike many of the other best dating apps on our list, this one focuses 100% on faith-based relationships. And with a community of 15 million + strong, you know you’re in good company with a lot of great singles.
What we really like about the Christian Mingle dating app is that it works for Christians at any point of their walk. If you’re a “Church five days a week” guy or gal or you’re a “just get there on the major holidays” type of person, you’ll find people to match with. Christian dating apps sometimes get a bad rap that they are nothing but people who are pastors or live at the church 24/7.
While there’s nothing wrong with being all-in for Jesus, it’s not where everyone is in their life. Thankfully, the Christian Mingle dating app gets this, and has plenty of quality singles all over the spectrum.
Christian Mingle Highlights
- Community of 15 million + Christian singles
- #1 Christian dating app out there
- Focused on faith-driven relationships
- Best Christian-focused dating site
- Very affordable membership plans
- Free trial available (linked below)
- Only good for Christian singles
- Not great for super-casual dating
Who is the Christian Mingle app best for? The Christian Mingle dating app is ideal for singles of any age looking for a faith-focused relationship. There are Christian singles of all denominations, which makes this app pretty perfect for anyone that wants a Christ-centered relationship.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 200,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 81%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 162,000
The Bottom Line – Christian Mingle is hands-down one of the best dating apps and is the best dating app for Christian singles. If your faith (any denomination) is important in your relationship, you’ll love this app.
5. Passion.com – Best for Hooking Up
Generally, we only deal with dating apps and websites that are more “traditional.” You’re not really going to see anything on the “adult-side” of things with us. However, this is really one exception that gets close to that. The reason we’re okay with Passion on our list of the best dating apps is that a lot of adult singles use the app to find relationships.
Sure, the main focus of the app is casual fun. However, there are a lot of single women and men that are more “adult” in nature looking for love. So, for that reason, we included Passion on our best apps list.
Fair warning, this is not your grandma’s dating site. But if you’re looking for a different type of experience than the other apps on this list, give Passion a try. We do recommend taking advantage of the free trial linked below to check things out before you upgrade to a paid membership.
- #1 dating app for casual dating
- Tons of high-quality, attractive singles
- Dating forums and live chat functions
- Sign up in under 2 minutes
- Free trial available (link below)
- Great for casual dating or random fun
- Not best for finding a serious relationship
- No filters for nudity (you will see naked people)
Who is the Passion app best for? If you’re looking for marriage or a serious relationship (at least right off the bat), Passion is not going to be one of the best dating apps for you. But if you’re looking for casual dating, random fun, or a unique style of dating—at least give the Passion free trial a shot.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 72,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 72%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 52,000
The Bottom Line – Passion is ideal for adults looking for casual dating, random fun, and a dating experience that’s not like any other you’ve probably seen before. Consider it rated TV-MA, though (as a heads up).
6. SilverSingles – Best for Over 50 Singles
The list of the best apps for dating would not be complete without one of the powerhouses of the industry. SilverSingles specializes in matching singles over the age of 50 for love, dating, and good conversation. What’s really great about this app is the company works hard to keep anyone not in this age bracket out. So, you don’t have to worry about people that don’t understand you or with ulterior motives getting in the way.
Since many seniors are new to technology, it’s important for a senior dating app to be easy to use. Thankfully, SilverSingles gets the gold star for being easy to sign up with, easy to make a profile, and simple to find high-quality matches. If you’re over the age of 50 and are looking for the best dating app for you—you don’t have to look any further.
Additionally, we have a really great free trial link below that will help get you set up with an account to try things out before you think about upgrading.
- #1 dating app for singles over 50
- Available in 29 countries and 15 languages
- Easy to use, even if you’re not great with technology
- Best dating app and website for seniors
- Exclusive to the 50+ community
- Great customer support to help with anything
- Doesn’t allow singles under 50
Who is the Silver Singles app best for? Silver Singles is 100% best for singles over the age of 50. While you can have success at this age at some other dating apps (like eHarmony, #1 on this list), this is the best option if you want a 100% senior-dedicated dating community.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 300,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 98%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 294,000
The Bottom Line – If you’re a single over the age of 50, Silver Singles is at least worth checking out the free trial. We actually think it’s worth a lot more than that, but we want you to see for yourself.
7. Seeking Arrangement – Best for Sugar Daddies
Our findings for the best apps for dating aims to look beyond the confines of traditional dating to offer a little something for everyone. A growing trend in the world of dating is something called sugar dating. If it’s a new concept for you, be aware it is nothing like traditional dating. Generally, the sugar daddy is someone looking for a girl to date that likes to be pampered, spoiled and taken care of.
When it comes to the world of sugar dating, Seeking Arrangement is streets ahead of the rest of the industry. Where some other sugar dating apps brand themselves that way but don’t offer any features to help, Seeking Arrangement was built from the ground up for this. The app helps to define expectations through profiles, help to facilitate the relationship through technology, and goes above and beyond to connect the right men with the right women.
Again, if sugar dating is not what you’re looking for, this app won’t be a great fit. But if you’re looking for a sugar daddy or a sugar baby—you’ve got to at least give the free trial linked below a test drive.
Seeking Arrangement Highlights
- #1 best sugar daddy dating app
- 4/5 stars in the Google Play store
- 4 to 1 girl to guy ratio
- Best dating app for sugar dating
- Featured on Forbes, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal
- Platform helps to define relationship types easily (expectations upfront)
- Not ideal for traditional relationships
- Better guy to girl ratio for men (4 to 1)
Who is the Seeking Arrangement app best for? Seeking Arrangement is not going to the best dating app for everybody. If you are looking for the sugar dating lifestyle, though, it’s the #1 option out there. This goes for both sugar daddies and sugar babies.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 1,900,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 65%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 1,235,000
The Bottom Line – While not a traditional dating app, Seeking Arrangement is the #1 dating app for the sugar dating lifestyle. If you’re considering spoiling or getting spoiled, we recommend at least dabbling with the free trial to see what it’s all about.
8. JDate – Best for Jewish Singles
JDate is an app built for one purpose and one purpose only—to help match Jewish singles all over the world. The app, part of the powerful Spark Network, has been around for over two decades and has built an incredible reputation within the religious dating app community.
The review and bottom line for this app is super simple. If you’re a Jewish single who’s faith is important when it comes to who you’re going to date, this will be one of the best dating apps for you. If you’re not Jewish or you’re not concerned with dating in or out of the faith, you’ll probably have better luck with a more mainstream dating app like eHarmony or Elite Singles.
What we really love about the JDate dating app is how easy it is to get signed up and how easy it is to use. Not only has the company been around for over two decades, but they’ve listened to users. Over the past 20+ years, the app has grown into one of the most user-friendly products on the market.
- #1 dating site for Jewish singles
- Very easy to use app and mobile-friendly website
- Matching Jewish singles for over two decades (launched 1997)
- Fast signup process
- Easy to use apps and desktop versions
- Best Jewish dating app out there
- Only good for Jewish singles
- Not great for casual dating
Who is the JDate app best for? Two words—Jewish singles. if you’re a Jewish single who wants to date within the faith, this should be the dating app you choose.
- Total Monthly Visitors (Average): 51,000
- % U.S. Traffic: 77%
- # of Monthly U.S. Users (Average): 39,000
The Bottom Line – If you’re a Jewish single, no need to look any further. This is the #1 dating app for Jewish singles by a landslide.
Comparing the Top Dating Apps
|Rank||Site||Founded||Size||Memb. Type||Starting Price||iOS App?||Android App?|
|#1||eHarmony||Free Trial||2000||29 million||Subscription||$35.90||Yes||Yes|
|#2||Elite Singles||Free Trial||2009||Not Public||Subscription||$44.95||Yes||Yes|
|#3||Zoosk||Free Trial||2007||40 million||Subscription||$12.49||Yes||Yes|
|#4||Christian Mingle||Free Trial||2001||15 million||Subscription||$12.99||Yes||Yes|
|#5||Passion||Free Trial||1996||Not Public||Subscription||$19.95||No||No|
|#6||SilverSingles||Free Trial||1997||Not Public||Subscription||$19.95||Yes||Yes|
|#7||Seeking Arrangement||Free Trial||2006||10 million||Subscription||$90.00||No||Yes|
|#8||JDate||Free Trial||1997||Not Public||Subscription||$29.99||Yes||Yes|
Which Dating Apps are the Most Popular? – Statistics
|Site||Monthly Visitors (Avg)||% U.S. Traffic||# of U.S. Visitors (Monthly)||Profiles Viewed Per Visit|
Best Dating Apps by Category
Our findings for the best dating apps try to span the entire gamut of what people are looking for. But if you’re looking for something a little more specific (and want more options in the area), we’ve got you covered. In the sections below, we’ve linked out to some dedicated resource pages for singles looking for something in particular. Most of the #1 apps for dating from each list are included in this guide already, but there are more options if you want to diversify out a little!
- Best Dating Apps for 20s
- Best Dating Apps for 30s
- Best Dating Apps for Early 40s
- Best Dating Apps for Mid to Late 40s
- Best Dating Apps for 50s
- Best Dating Apps for 60s
- Best Android Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Artists
- Best Asian Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Athletes and Fitness Lovers
- Best BBW Dating Sites
- Best Dating Apps for Beginners
- Best Dating Apps for Bicurious
- Best Black Dating Sites
- Best Catholic Dating Sites
- Best Casual Dating Apps
- Best Christian Dating Sites
- Best Dating Sites for Christian Marriage
- Best College Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Cougars and Cubs
- Best Cowboy Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Divorced
- Best Dating Apps for Doctors
- Best Dating Apps for Elite Singles
- Best Dating Apps for Executives
- Best Dating Apps for Farmers
- Best Dating Apps for Finding a Boyfriend
- Best Dating Apps for Finding a Girlfriend
- Best Free Dating Apps
- Best Gay Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Gamers
- Best Good Dating Sites
- Best Dating Sites for Grad Students
- Best High End Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Higher Education
- Best Indian Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for International Singles
- Best Interracial Dating Sites
- Best iPhone (iOS) Dating Apps
- Best Jewish Dating Sites
- Best Dating Sites for Latinos and Latinas
- Best Dating Apps for Lawyers
- Best Lesbian Dating Apps
- Best LGBT Dating Apps
- Best Dating Sites for Long Distance Dating
- Best Dating Sites for Love
- Best Dating Apps for Marriage
- Best Match.com Alternatives
- Best Mature Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Men
- Best Military Dating Sites
- Best Dating Apps for Millionaires
- Best Dating Apps for Nerds
- Best Dating Apps for Nurses
- Best Paid Dating Sites
- Best Dating Apps for Plus Size Singles
- Best Dating Sites for Pregnant Moms
- Best Dating Sites for Professional Singles
- Best Dating Apps for Relationships
- Safest Dating Apps
- Best Dating Apps for Secret Arrangement
- Best Senior Dating Sites
- Best Dating Sites for Single Parents
- Best Dating Apps for STDs
- Best Sugar Daddy Dating Sites
- Best Sugar Mama Dating Sites
- Best Swipe-Style Dating Apps
- Best Dating Sites for Teachers
- Best Tinder-Like Dating Apps
- Best Dating Sites for Veterans
- Best Dating Apps for the Wealthy
- Best Dating Apps Without Facebook
- Best Dating Apps for Women
- Best Dating Apps for Young People