By: Jason Lee | Updated 2021
Technology has revolutionized the way we find love. You don’t have to set foot within 100 miles of a bar these days to find what you’re looking for. The best dating apps connect like-minded singles from all over the country and the globe together with the swipe of a finger or the touch of a button!
There are dating apps for relationships, marriage, hooking up, friends first, straight, gay, lesbian, transgender, Black, Latino, Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim—it’s an endless list of options.
So, how do you know what are the best dating apps? That’s where we come in. Our team has cultivated a list of the absolute best apps for dating out there. We’re here to help you avoid the duds, find the studs, and get closer to what you’re looking for.
- Best Apps by Category
- Best Apps by Location
- Which Sites Are Most Popular – Comparison Stats
- How We Rank These Dating Sites
1. eHarmony – Best for Relationships
There’s a reason that so many people call eHarmony the best dating app across the board—because it works. To date, over 2 million people have found love through the app, which works out to a new couple about every 14 minutes! By the time you get done reading this article, another couple will have found love. Maybe you’re next?
What we love about the eHarmony dating app is that it focuses heavily on creating real relationships. If you’re in the market for a hookup or something casual, this is certainly not the best dating app for you. But if you’re looking for a meaningful relationship and possibly something that could turn into marriage, eHarmony is a must.
Compared to the rest of the industry, eHarmony is a bit more expensive than other dating apps. But—expect to get a ton of features that make it worth every penny. You’ll get access to the guided communication, compatibility matching algorithm, video dating feature, and the ability to message the singles you match best with. Over 2.3 million messages are sent weekly, so you know that there is action across the board.
- Singles find love on this dating app every 14 minutes
- Over 2 million singles have found love through eHarmony
- Known for the highest quality of serious singles
Who is the eHarmony dating app best for? Ideally, eHarmony is best for anyone in their mid 20’s up to mid-to-late 60s. You will find singles on the app outside of this bracket, but that’s where most of the activity is. If you’re looking for a serious relationship, value real conversation, and are tired of flaky daters—eHarmony should be at the top of the best dating apps list for you.
2. Elite Singles – Best for Professionals
If you’re searching for singles that are educated, high-quality, and active in the dating process, Elite Singles should be your go-to best dating app. Let’s talk about why. First, you have almost 400,000 new members joining every month (based on a recent data study). That means all over the world you’re going to see a TON of singles ready to meet. And the fact that Elite Singles works to remove any spam or fake profiles, truly makes this one of the best dating apps on the market.
The dating app is free to download and get set up. Additionally, the app syncs perfectly with the desktop website version, in case you ever want to send a message or search for singles from your desktop. As a member of the Spark Network, you can expect several things from this dating app, including a slick interface, quality singles, and an affordable pricing structure. Putting Elite Singles on our list of the best dating apps was a no-brainer. You’re going to love it!
Elite Singles Highlights
- An impressive 381,000+ new members monthly on average
- Profiles checked daily to remove spam or fake profiles
- Over 90% of singles on the app have an above-average education
Who is the Elite Singles app best for? The ideal customer for this dating app is between the ages of 30 and 50, has an above-average education or training, and is looking for something either casual or serious. If you’re outside of this age bracket or just looking for random hookups, this isn’t the best dating app for you.
3. Zoosk – Best for All Types of Relationships
While the name might be tough to pronounce, the positives aren’t hard to see. The Zoosk dating app is a fantastic option for singles who are looking for casual dating, serious relationships, or something in between (or if you’re not sure yet).
Here are some impressive numbers to pay attention to. First—40 million users. That’s the most we’ve heard about anywhere by a lot. If you’re looking for a place that has the numbers and the most options, Zoosk needs to be your go-to.
Second—are these members active? Well, according to site data, you see upwards of an average of 3 million messages sent on the app every single day. That’s a resounding yes to that question, and if that’s not enough to get you excited, we’re not sure what is.
- Started in 2007
- Over 3 million messages sent daily
- Park of the esteemed Spark Network
Who is the Zoosk app best for? It feels wrong to answer one of these questions with “everybody,” however, that’s really the right answer here. You’ve got an incredibly diverse (and big) user base of singles. Some are looking for casual, some are looking for serious, and some are in the middle. It’s a great spot if you aren’t sure too.
4. Christian Mingle – Best for Christian Singles
No matter what denomination you are or how seriously you take your faith, you’re going to LOVE the Christian Mingle dating app. Unlike many of the other best dating apps on our list, this one focuses 100% on faith-based relationships. And with a community of 15 million + strong, you know you’re in good company with a lot of great singles.
What we really like about the Christian Mingle dating app is that it works for Christians at any point of their walk. If you’re a “Church five days a week” guy or gal or you’re a “just get there on the major holidays” type of person, you’ll find people to match with. Christian dating apps sometimes get a bad rap that they are nothing but people who are pastors or live at the church 24/7.
While there’s nothing wrong with being all-in for Jesus, it’s not where everyone is in their life. Thankfully, the Christian Mingle dating app gets this, and has plenty of quality singles all over the spectrum.
Christian Mingle Highlights
- Community of 15 million + Christian singles
- #1 Christian dating app out there
- Focused on faith-driven relationships
Who is the Christian Mingle app best for? The Christian Mingle dating app is ideal for singles of any age looking for a faith-focused relationship. There are Christian singles of all denominations, which makes this app pretty perfect for anyone that wants a Christ-centered relationship.
5. Passion.com – Best for Hooking Up
Generally, we only deal with dating apps and websites that are more “traditional.” You’re not really going to see anything on the “adult-side” of things with us. However, this is really one exception that gets close to that. The reason we’re okay with Passion on our list of the best dating apps is that a lot of adult singles use the app to find relationships.
Sure, the main focus of the app is casual fun. However, there are a lot of single women and men that are more “adult” in nature looking for love. So, for that reason, we included Passion on our best apps list.
Fair warning, this is not your grandma’s dating site. But if you’re looking for a different type of experience than the other apps on this list, give Passion a try. We do recommend taking advantage of the free trial linked below to check things out before you upgrade to a paid membership.
- #1 dating app for casual dating
- Tons of high-quality, attractive singles
- Dating forums and live chat functions
Who is the Passion app best for? If you’re looking for marriage or a serious relationship (at least right off the bat), Passion is not going to be one of the best dating apps for you. But if you’re looking for casual dating, random fun, or a unique style of dating—at least give the Passion free trial a shot.
6. SilverSingles – Best for Over 50 Singles
The list of the best apps for dating would not be complete without one of the powerhouses of the industry. SilverSingles specializes in matching singles over the age of 50 for love, dating, and good conversation. What’s really great about this app is the company works hard to keep anyone not in this age bracket out. So, you don’t have to worry about people that don’t understand you or with ulterior motives getting in the way.
Since many seniors are new to technology, it’s important for a senior dating app to be easy to use. Thankfully, SilverSingles gets the gold star for being easy to sign up with, easy to make a profile, and simple to find high-quality matches. If you’re over the age of 50 and are looking for the best dating app for you—you don’t have to look any further.
Additionally, we have a really great free trial link below that will help get you set up with an account to try things out before you think about upgrading.
- #1 dating app for singles over 50
- Available in 29 countries and 15 languages
- Easy to use, even if you’re not great with technology
Who is the Silver Singles app best for? Silver Singles is 100% best for singles over the age of 50. While you can have success at this age at some other dating apps (like eHarmony, #1 on this list), this is the best option if you want a 100% senior-dedicated dating community.
7. Seeking Arrangement – Best for Sugar Daddies
Our findings for the best apps for dating aims to look beyond the confines of traditional dating to offer a little something for everyone. A growing trend in the world of dating is something called sugar dating. If it’s a new concept for you, be aware it is nothing like traditional dating. Generally, the sugar daddy is someone looking for a girl to date that likes to be pampered, spoiled and taken care of.
When it comes to the world of sugar dating, Seeking Arrangement is streets ahead of the rest of the industry. Where some other sugar dating apps brand themselves that way but don’t offer any features to help, Seeking Arrangement was built from the ground up for this. The app helps to define expectations through profiles, help to facilitate the relationship through technology, and goes above and beyond to connect the right men with the right women.
Again, if sugar dating is not what you’re looking for, this app won’t be a great fit. But if you’re looking for a sugar daddy or a sugar baby—you’ve got to at least give the free trial linked below a test drive.
Seeking Arrangement Highlights
- #1 best sugar daddy dating app
- 4/5 stars in the Google Play store
- 4 to 1 girl to guy ratio
Who is the Seeking Arrangement app best for? Seeking Arrangement is not going to the best dating app for everybody. If you are looking for the sugar dating lifestyle, though, it’s the #1 option out there. This goes for both sugar daddies and sugar babies.
8. JDate – Best for Jewish Singles
JDate is an app built for one purpose and one purpose only—to help match Jewish singles all over the world. The app, part of the powerful Spark Network, has been around for over two decades and has built an incredible reputation within the religious dating app community.
The review and bottom line for this app is super simple. If you’re a Jewish single who’s faith is important when it comes to who you’re going to date, this will be one of the best dating apps for you. If you’re not Jewish or you’re not concerned with dating in or out of the faith, you’ll probably have better luck with a more mainstream dating app like eHarmony or Elite Singles.
What we really love about the JDate dating app is how easy it is to get signed up and how easy it is to use. Not only has the company been around for over two decades, but they’ve listened to users. Over the past 20+ years, the app has grown into one of the most user-friendly products on the market.
- #1 dating site for Jewish singles
- Very easy to use app and mobile-friendly website
- Matching Jewish singles for over two decades (launched 1997)
Who is the JDate app best for? Two words—Jewish singles. if you’re a Jewish single who wants to date within the faith, this should be the dating app you choose.
Which Dating Apps are the Most Popular? – Statistics
|Site||Monthly Visitors (Avg)||% U.S. Traffic||# of U.S. Visitors (Monthly)||Profiles Viewed Per Visit|
Best Dating Apps by Category
Our findings for the best dating apps try to span the entire gamut of what people are looking for. But if you’re looking for something a little more specific (and want more options in the area), we’ve got you covered. In the sections below, we’ve linked out to some dedicated resource pages for singles looking for something in particular. Most of the #1 apps for dating from each list are included in this guide already, but there are more options if you want to diversify out a little!
- Early 40s
- Mid to Late 40s
- Christian Marriage
- Cougars and Cubs
- Elite Singles
- Finding a Boyfriend
- Finding a Girlfriend
- Grad Students
- High End
- Higher Education
- International Singles
- iPhone (iOS)
- Latinos and Latinas
- Best Lesbian
- Long Distance
- Match.com Alternatives
- Plus Size
- Pregnant Moms
- Professional Singles
- Secret Arrangement
- Single Parents
- Sugar Daddy
- Sugar Mama
- Without Facebook
- Young People
Best Dating Apps by Location
What Makes These the Best Dating Apps
Alright, so check it out! While we think it would be super awesome if you could just blindly trust everything you read on the internet, it’s sadly not the case. For that reason, we think it’s extremely important that online websites take the time to explain how they reach conclusions and the exact process they go through to determine what makes something the best of the best.
How did we come up with these as our top picks for the best dating sites in the world? Glad you asked. Here are a few key details about the process, followed by a brief look into some of the most important factors we assess when racking and stacking the best dating sites in the world.
What You Can Expect From Our Dating Site Rankings
- Our rankings are conducted by experts with a lot of experience in dating and relationship realms.
- Rankings involve an in-depth and thorough review process that looks at a wide array of different factors to truly find the best dating sites.
- The majority of these dating sites are targeted towards U.S. singles, though, many of of these options also double great for international singles.
- We are constantly reanalyzing our list of the best options to make sure you’re getting the most up to date information possible.
- Just because an online dating website makes our best of list doesn’t mean it’s spot is guaranteed. If a site or app loses its way, it’s going to lose its spot on our listing too.
Factors Making These the Best Dating Apps and Dating Websites
- Quality singles – This is so critical to have in a great online dating website. If there aren’t plenty of high quality singles that you’d be excited about dating, then what’s the point. This is one area where we spend the most time when racking and stacking online dating apps for obvious and good reasons.
- Diversity where it makes sense – Having a diverse group of singles is amazing, as long as it makes sense for the site. For example, if you’re using a Christian dating site—you don’t want diversity in religions. Or if you’re using a senior dating site, you don’t want diversity of age. But if you’re using a mainstream dating app, you want tons of diverse options so you can find what you’re looking for and the next guy or gal can too!
- Free trials – We’re big fans of the try before you buy mentality. When it comes to online dating sites, we want the chance to test drive the site and see the quality of the singles before we make a choice.
- Speed – Something that’s often overlooked is how fast a dating website is. Do you want to sit there for five minutes and wait for your search results to pop up or your message to go through? We didn’t think so. The best dating sites have fast servers and great tech in place that makes things happen lightning fast.
- Security – You have got to feel (and actually be) safe when you’re using an online dating site. While some of the responsibility is yours, a dating site needs to do its part to facilitate a safe and inviting environment. This includes things like proper encryption, safe payment methods, the ability to report or block a member who is a problem, a proactive approach to scammers and fake accounts, and dedicated customer support working on the quality of the dating experience.
- A nice user interface – We don’t need online dating apps to feel like they’re built by crazy tech gurus, but we do need them to feel updated and be easy to use. If it’s impossible to navigate or easy to make mistakes, it’s not a good fit for us (or you). The entire experience should feel easy from start to finish.