The 6th wedding anniversary is a fun one that comes right after your first major milestone (5th wedding anniversary) and right before the luckiest of them all (7th wedding anniversary)! So, how do you go about celebrating this in-the-middle milestone? What’s the perfect 6 year anniversary gift to commemorate?
These are both AWESOME questions! And, as you may have already guessed, we’re here to answer them for you. In this guide, we’ll bring you up to speed on the most popular traditional 6th anniversary gifts, the modern adaptations, and the best options for her or for him.
Traditional 6th Anniversary Gifts
- Anniversary Stone: Amethyst
- Anniversary Flower: Calla Lily
- Modern U.S. Gift: Wood Objects
- Traditional U.S. Gift: Iron
- Traditional U.K. Gift: Sugar
Best 6th Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas
1. Cast Iron Skillet
Iron is a traditional 6 year anniversary gift, but how many iron items will your partner genuinely enjoy receiving as a gift? One we know they will love is this heavy duty cast iron fry pan from the Martha Stewart Collection.
- Best traditional iron gift for 6 year anniversaries.
- Available in Cherry Red or Sapphire Blue.
- Measures 12 inches in diameter, making it perfect for large meals!
- Mixed cast iron and enamel material creates even, steady heating.
2. Genuine Amethyst Custer Tree
The standard gemstone for 6 year anniversaries is amethyst. This purple stone looks beautiful in jewelry, but a more standout display is this genuine amethyst tree. It is a truly splendid way to celebrate tradition while giving your partner a piece of décor they will be proud to display.
- Best non-jewelry amethyst gift idea.
- The handcrafted tree is 8 inches by 4 inches and weighs 5 pounds.
- Handmade in Brazil.
- Tree represents protection and is said to relieve stress.
3. Genuine Walnut Cutting Board
There are a few different gifting traditions for 6th anniversaries and one of those is wood. You could look for a piece of wood art or furniture, but we prefer something a bit more practical – a genuine walnut cutting board. We think your spouse will love this addition to their kitchen because it is sturdy, useful, and truly beautiful.
- Best traditional wood anniversary gift.
- Comes in genuine walnut or genuine cherry.
- Grooved edges keep juice and fluid from running onto the counter top.
- Steel feet prevent slippage for safer cutting.
4. Hickory Furniture Porch Swing
For your 6th anniversary, give your partner the gift of outdoor comfort and relaxation with a front porch swing. This hickory swing has a classic, rugged appeal and created a comfortable place to hang out and enjoy some fresh air. The seat and backing is made from genuine rattan cane, stained to create an overall vintage appearance.
- Best outdoor gift idea.
- Perfect for covered porches, patios, and gazebos.
- Handcrafted and made to order.
- Creates a cabin vibe that lends to relaxation.
5. Adjustable Bed Upgrade
Spice up the bedroom with some serious comfort upgrades! This adjustable bed base is a great way to add some controlled comfort to you and your spouse’s nights. The base includes a port to charge your devices, so there’s no fighting over the nearby outlet. You can even continue using the mattress you already own!
- Best gift idea for anyone needing better sleep.
- A Dr. Oz recommendation for improved nighttime comfort.
- Zero clearance space needed to properly operate.
- Remote controlled and comes with multiple preset positions.
6. Ultimate Wine Tasting Experience by Harry and David
- Best gift option for wine lovers.
- Must be over 21 to order packages with alcohol.
- The kit includes dry salami, Casalingo salami, merlot cheese, gruyere cheese, blue cheese, baguette, chili chutney, green olive spread, fig spread, artisan crisps, sea salt crackers, chocolate covered almonds, chocolate cake, mixed nuts, chocolate and sea salt caramels, chocolate covered blueberries, chocolate truffles dried fruity, 2019 chardonnay, 2019 pinot noir, and Ross Lane red blend.
- Bottles are full sized and produced by Harry and David.
7. Aviator Quartz Watch
If you are looking for a standard gift with out of this world appeal, try the aviator quartz watch by sterling. This watch is the perfect aesthetic blend between a high end watch you can dress up and a rugged sports watch you can wear out. Add that to the sheer usability of the watch and your partner will never want to take it off!
- Best unisex/men’s watch option.
- Leather strap available in multiple colors.
- Numbers and calendar illuminate for the utmost visibility.
- Aviator style makes this watch durable enough for any activity.
8.White Akoya Pearl Earrings
If you are looking for a piece of jewelry that will knock your partner’s socks off without causing you to take out a second mortgage, then you will love these akoya pearl earrings from The Pearl Source. The earrings include a high quality pearl in your choice of tone (white, pink, peach). They dress up and down easily and best of all, are very moderately priced!
- Most affordable jewelry gift.
- Hypoallergenic, sterling silver backers.
- Adjust the pearl color, quality, and backer to create the perfect pair of earrings.
- Matching bracelets and necklaces are also available.
9. Corelle Lia Dinnerware Set
Show your spouse that you are in it for the long haul by giving them a gift that builds upon your lifelong collection of goods – the Lia dinnerware set by Corelle. This isn’t some cheap set of dishes you can get at the supermarket! These exquisite plates, bowls, and mug are made from vitrelle glass, porcelain, and stoneware. You and your partner may be passing these on to your kids someday, a sentiment they are sure to love!
- Best home goods gift idea.
- Subtly adorned with a deep blue swirl.
- Perfect set to break out during holidays and dinner parties.
- Stoneware and porcelain items are microwave safe.
10. Premium Dark Chocolate Gift Basket
Give your chocolate lover a gift they’ll love in a style that is appropriate for a 6 year anniversary celebration. This premium dark chocolate gift basket by Ethel M comes with a 24 piece dark chocolate box, 8 chocolate bars, and 2 varieties of chocolate confections. All crafted by the master chocolatiers at Ethel M! Your sweetie will want to dive into this delicious gift immediately!
- Best gift idea for chocolate lovers.
- Collection can be purchased once or set as a subscription.
- Confections include chocolate covered coffee beans and chocolate covered almonds.
- Comes in a beautiful copper gift basket.
11. Boomer 8 Dog Bowl by Yeti
When your partner is a major dog lover, a gift for their pet is a gift for them. That’s why we love this Yeti brand dog bowl as a 6th anniversary gift idea. The Boomer bowl can stand up to the toughest of pooches thanks to it’s puncture resistant build. It is also rust-proof and can be tossed right into the dishwasher when needed!
- Best gift for pet lovers.
- Available in 6 different colors.
- Can be used for food or water.
- Holds up to eight cups.
12. Custom Love Map by GrafoMap
Want a gift that is a bit more sentimental in nature? Try out a customized piece of map art by GrafoMap. These illustrations are created using the places that mean something to you and your spouse. Simply insert the location on the GrafoMap customizer, adjust the design of the map to meet your needs, and have it printed in a way that you love. Your map will forever be a reminder of some of the greatest times in you and your partner’s relationship.
- Best sentimental gift option for 6 year anniversaries.
- You can adjust the color scheme of the map during creation.
- Printing is available on multiple surfaces including canvas and metal.
- Add custom markers to the map for an even more personalized look.
13. Amethyst Drop Earrings
Looking for another way to include traditional amethyst into your 6 year anniversary gift? Try these beautiful amethyst drop earrings by Gabriel & Co. These round amethysts are set inside a sterling silver round, making them the show piece of these earrings. They pair beautifully with most outfits, making them wearable at day and night events. Your partner will light up when they open up these shimmering purple beauties!
- Best jewelry-based amethyst gift.
- Hypo-allergenic, sterling silver hooks.
- Matching pendant necklace is also available.
- Comes with complimentary cleaning services.
14. Maya Satchel by Fossil
Could your spouse use a new purse but you aren’t sure which to choose? You can’t go wrong with the Maya Satchel by Fossil. This leather bag is available in two shades and includes a recycled polyester interior. The design is sleek and simple, making it perfect for matching with any style. The multiple pockets, including a zipped center pocket, make organization simple. Your partner is going to adore this classic purse!
- Best purse option that anyone will love.
- Comes with an adjustable strap for more wear options.
- Available in black and standard brown leather.
- Comes with a key adornment that is easily removed if desired.
15. Kiritsuke Knife
Do you have yourself a chef at home? If your partner is taking their cooking skills to the next level, they are going to need a genuine Japanese kitchen knife to do so! This Kiritsuke Knife is the perfect introduction to the world of Japanese knives! It is visually striking and technically perfect. It is made of ice-hardened Damascus steel, meaning the knife is exquisitely durable and amazingly sharp. Your partner will be blown away by this kitchen utensil/work of art.
- Best gift idea for home and professional chefs.
- Handcrafted in Seki, Japan.
- Has a Japanese Karelian Birch handle.
- 101-layer damascus steel for ultimate strength.
16. Royal Bain De Caron
When it comes to buying perfume or cologne for anniversaries, we recommend sticking to unisex scents that wear well on anyone. One option is Royal Bain De Caron. This subtle, daytime scent is perfect for any gender. It contains moderately musky vanilla tones with an essence of night flowers oriental resins. Together, the scent is a bit moody with just enough impact to be alluring. Your partner will adore this scent and may end up asking you to wear it as well!
- Best unisex parfum gift idea.
- Perfect 6 year anniversary gift for all genders.
- Comes in a stunning bottle that looks great on a shelf.
- One of Caron’s longest running scents (created in 1941).
Tips for Picking out a 6th Anniversary Gift
- Never ignore your budget! Don’t create troubles or financial burdens just to get the perfect gift.
- Don’t feel like you have to live up to last year. The 5th anniversary is a big one, and while reaching the 6th is a big milestone—people generally don’t celebrate as big as the ones like the 5th, 10th, etc.
- Communication (the magic word for relationships) is still key here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking your husband or wife what kind of gift they’d like or if they’re interested in getting a joint gift together for the family. Just don’t wait until the day before or day of to ask and you’ll be good.
- If you take advantage of the traditional 6th anniversary gifts, awesome! Make sure, though, that you explain this to your spouse so they understand why they’re getting something made out of wood, amethyst, lily-print, etc.
- Wondering if you have to get a traditional 6th anniversary gift? Absolutely not! They’re just great for people who like sentimental and traditional type things. We’re big fans of functional gifts that can be used for years to come over something that just is a nod to a tradition. Although, many of the top 6th anniversary gifts we suggested do check off both boxes, so that’s an awesome option!
Should I Buy a 6th Anniversary Gift?
Our answer upfront? Absolutely! We’re always strong proponents of celebrating an anniversary with a gift. Now, does that mean it’s the best idea in all situations? Not always.
Here are a few instances where you probably shouldn’t purchase a 6th wedding anniversary gift:
- Your spouse explicitly asks you not to get a gift.
- The budget is super, super tight. (Granted, you can usually find a few less expensive gift ideas that may fit the budget)
- It’s friends or family having the anniversary and it’s not your relationship celebration. In these instances you can get them a gift if you want, but it’s certainly not an obligation. If they are having a party, though, you might want to ask to see what the expectation is (even though it’s still up to you).
Find More Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas!
Didn’t quite find what you’re looking for? That’s okay! It means you probably have a pretty good idea of what your guy or gal likes. Here’s the good news. We have PLENTY more of these guides for you to look through for some awesome gift ideas. They might not be 100% dedicated to the 6th year of marriage, but they will certainly do the trick. If you’d like to see them now, check out our full list of wedding anniversary gift ideas now.