Two decades! It may seem like just the blink of an eye or a lifetime, but either way—being married or together for 20 years is impressive, to say the least. Whether you’re celebrating your own 20 year anniversary or one of a friend, family member, or parent—you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, we’re going to look at the best 20 year anniversary gifts, 20 year anniversary traditions, and lots of awesome and useful facts about this incredible milestone.
In This Guide:
- Best 20 Year Anniversary Gifts
- Traditional 20 Year Anniversary Gifts
- Trip Ideas to Celebrate
- How Many People Reach the 20 Year Anniversary Milestone?
- Celebrities Reaching the Two Decade Mark
20 Year Anniversary Traditional Gifts
- Anniversary Stone: Emerald, with yellow/golden diamond as the alternative
- Anniversary Flower: Aster
- Modern U.S. Gift: Platinum
- Traditional U.S. Gift: China
- Traditional U.K. Gift: China
Best 20 Year Anniversary Gifts
1. 1 Carat Stone Diamond Ring by Clean Origin
If you want to make a big statement for your 20th anniversary, then this 1 carat diamond ring by Clean origin is the way to go! The bold stone settings create the entire shape of the ring and creates a complimentary design for all wedding rings. The gold style can even be customized to match your partners existing jewelry!
- Available in sizes 3-12
- 9 lab-grown diamonds are used on this gorgeous ring
- The ring is bold yet dainty at 3.3 mm
2. Wine of The Month Subscription
The Wine of the Month Club is a customizable subscription kit that delivers delicious bottles of wine to your partner’s door each and every month. What better excuse to sit down for a relaxing night with your loved one than a new bottle of wine to try? You can decide from a variety of kit styles to ensure the kit matches your partner’s taste!
- Each shipment contains two bottles of wine
- You can choose between reds, whites, or a mix
- Multiple membership lengths are available for price customization
3. Platinum Heart Locket
If you are looking for a 20th anniversary gift that is traditional, personal, and beautiful, then you want the platinum heart Locket by Things Remembered. You can add a personal message to this sleek and modern piece, plus insert a photo into the locket for your partner to carry around close to their heart.
- The necklace is platinum plated over sterling silver
- The chain is 20mm in length
- You can engrave up to three lines of writing on the locket
4. Digital Pulse Massager Kit
Give your partner the gift of a pain free evening with the Digital Pulse Massager by Palm NRG. This dual-channel muscle stimulator is perfect for relaxing stressed muscles and temporarily relieving some chronic pains. Your partner will be overjoyed when they see how simple it is to reduce their pain with this high quality pulse massager.
- Contains the pulse massager, 4 electrode pads, all required cables, power adapter, instruction manual, and rechargeable battery.
- There are 16 different massage modes provided by the stimulator.
- There are two distinct channels that allow different massage intensity to be use simultaneously.
5. China Platter by Fortessa Purio
China is a traditional 20th anniversary gift, but is not as easy to come across on the modern dishware market. If you are looking to give your partner a sleek and modern piece of china, check out this China Platter by Fortessa Purio. This platter is elegant, spacious, and eye-catching. It would be the perfect centerpiece to any dinner table!
- Chip and stain resistant
- Freezer and dishwasher safe
- 12.5” in diameter – perfect for all serving needs
6. Calf Massager Ottoman
Some body massagers are wonderfully useful but terrible eyesores! If you want to give your love a massager that will make them feel great without adding an ugly piece of equipment to your home, try out the calf massaging ottoman by Synca wellness. The sleek, grey ottoman opens up for your partner to insert their legs for a well-deserved foot and calf massage!
- Offers foot rollers, heat therapy, compression massage, and vibration massage.
- All massage styles are available in three different intensities.
- Is powered by any standard 110 volt power outlet.
7. Espresso Machine by Breville
The Nespresso VertuoLine is the ultimate tool in at-home coffee brewing. This anniversary, celebrate 20 years with a gift your partner can enjoy every single morning. The machine offers the ease of capsule brewing with the amazing ability to create both espresso and drip style coffee. This may be the most useful and beautiful thing you can add to your partner’s kitchen!
- Empty capsules auto-eject into a container that can be removed and dumped into the trash when full.
- Coffee can be brewed in 5 different cup sizes with ease.
- There is an included electric frother for a true cafe experience.
8. Black Diamond Hoop Earrings
On your 20th anniversary you want to do everything you can to make a statement, and these black diamond earrings do just that! The medium sized hoop makes the earrings very wearable while the shimmering line of black diamonds create a look that will stand out with any outfit. Your partner will be left speechless when they open these dazzling earrings by Effy!
- ⅙ carat black diamonds set in sterling silver
- Easy to secure, hinge back closure
- 24 gems line each earring for a look of pure luxury
9. Outdoor Sound System by Sonos
Does your partner love spending time outside? Improve their backyard getaway with this amazing outdoor sound system by Sonos. The kit comes with a pair of outdoor speakers and one amp for crisp and clear sound that is simple to control. The system can be controlled from the Sonos app where you can access iTunes, Spotify, or any other streaming service of your choice.
- The speakers are weatherproof and stand up to intense heat, cold, and precipitation.
- Expert installation is available if you need it.
- Additional pairs of speakers can be purchased for use with the same amp.
10. Bvlgari Splendida Gift Set
Whether it is your 1st or 20th anniversary, you can’t go wrong with a deliciously scented perfume. Your partner will be drooling over this Bvlgari Splendida gift set, which comes with perfume and a silk bandeau. This classic Bvlgari scent blends tahitian vanilla, mandarin, and the essence of magnolia for a classic aroma that is complementary to all wearers.
- Kit includes 3.4 oz bottle of perfume
- Scent is feminine and sultry – perfect for beautiful, mature women
- The bottle is a collector’s favorite and looks stunning displayed on a shelf
11. Timberline 850 by Traeger
The perfect gift for him or her is the Timberline 850 grill by Traeger. This medium sized grill is as functional as it is beautiful. There are three tiers of stainless steel grates, a temperature adjusting display, and a pellet level sensor that notifies you when you are running low. If your partner likes to grill, they will adore this upgrade to their cooking arsenal.
- TRU Convection system keeps the heat even at all points in the grill
- TurboTemp feature makes the heat up time much faster than a standard grill
- Full insulation allows for consistent heat in all weather
12. Pelican Bass Raider
It’s your 20th anniversary, there’s no better excuse to go big on gifting! One jaw-dropping option is this Pelican Bass Raider boat. It is the perfect fishing vessel for your and your partner! The boat is small enough to be easily portable, but large enough to make your day on the water an absolute dream. The built in rod holders help prevent lost poles and the ample foot space and compartments make it simple to bring along tools, treats, and anything else you please!
- Seats are removable and swivel, making it simple to access all storage areas of the boat.
- Comes with built in motor mounts
- The boat only ways 145 lbs and comes with 4 handles, making loading a breeze!
13. Breathtaking Crete Getaway
For your 20th anniversary it is time to start taking part in all the exciting adventures you and your love planned for your future. Looking for a great place to travel? Try Crete! This Grecian island is surrounded by gorgeous beaches, filled with all-inclusive hotel resorts, and flush with historical sites you will never forget. If you want to surprise your partner with a gift they will never forget, consider a vacation to Crete, Greece.
- Perfect island getaway
- Try out a resort and spa for an even more relaxing experience.
- Many resorts are located within walking distance to the sea.
14. Emerald Bracelet by Gabriel & Co
Looking for a traditional emerald gift for your partner? This slim, emerald bracelet by Gabriel & Co is a wonderful option. The 14k white gold bracelet is adorned with dozens of emeralds and a handful of bright white diamonds. The flexible banding creates a unique and comfortable bracelet that your partner will love to wear. Emerald not your spouse’s style? You can also choose from rubies and sapphires!
- This bracelet is delicately sized – 3.6mm thick and 3.4 mm wide
- The overall bracelet length is 6.75 inches
- 6 ⅓ carat diamonds adorn the tennis bracelet which is based in vibrant green emeralds.
15. His or Her Robes
For your anniversary, why don’t you try planning an at-home spa day for you and your partner to enjoy. It is simple to plan and a real crowd please! If you go that route, we suggest complimenting the gesture with one of these plush, monogrammed his or her robes. These ultra-soft robes are as beautiful as they are comfortable, with bold black lines down the robe and matching embroidery on the chest. This is the perfect robe for a spa experience or just lounging around the house.
- A great stand alone gift or paired with a spa day
- Robes available in two sizes
- Made of soft, absorbent, Turkish cotton
16. Lily Quartz Watch by Stuhrling
Sometimes you just want a gift that is as unique and beautiful as the person receiving it, and the Lily Quartz Watch is that gift. The bold flower shape is enhanced by the dozens of shimmering gem stones that exist within it. The inner flower houses the clock hands and is backed by a gorgeous, mother of pearl base that shifts from shades of green and yellow to purple and blue. The matching mesh strap makes the watch easy to wear on a daily basis, which your partner will love!
- Accurate, movement powered watch.
- Watch face is 38mm while the strap is a sleek 16mm.
- The strap utilizes a sleek, clasp closure
Traditional 20 Year Anniversary Gifts
Unless you’ve really taken the time to ponder the meaning of traditional anniversary gift themes, some of them are baffling.
Paper? Wool? Tin? Cotton?
They can seem a little off the wall. But every anniversary tradition has a hidden implication behind it. For example, paper commemorates one-year anniversary celebrations. Paper is fragile, and it’s also a blank slate symbolizing the story that’s yet to be written.
The China anniversary
So, let’s talk 20 year anniversary gifts. The traditional theme, whether in the U.S., the U.K., or Russia, is china.
China is beautiful, fragile, and elegant. You typically take your time collecting and adding to your set, which is similar to building upon your relationship. Both require tender loving care so that they last a lifetime.
Porcelain isn’t too far off the mark either. Spain, Germany, and France have adopted porcelain as the 20 year anniversary symbol. Italy stands on its own with crystal, which is standard for 15th anniversaries in the United States.
We’ve got some china-based gift ideas in our comprehensive gift guide. But if you’d rather focus on another 20 year symbol, you could go with platinum, which is the modern U.S. 20th anniversary theme.
Whereas china requires tender loving care as it’s fragile, platinum is a symbol of enduring love. It represents strength and perseverance.
Gems and flowers for your 20 year anniversary
But wait, there’s more. You can also consider the 20 year anniversary gemstone, the emerald, or the Aster, the year’s official flower.
- Emerald – An emerald is a bit like china. It can withstand the test of time but only with proper upkeep. Otherwise, emeralds are prone to cracking on the surface.
- Aster – Asters are associated with Venus, the goddess of love. They’re meant to epitomize love, purity, and faith.
Trip Ideas to Celebrate
You’ll probably have a big 25th party in just five years. So why not focus your 20 year anniversary on only the two of you?
One of the best ways to commemorate more than two decades together is to make some memories in a fabulous and romantic getaway destination. The possibilities are practically endless, but we’ve got a few ideas to get the creative juices flowing.
Jade Mountain Resort – St. Lucia
“Expect grand sweeping spaces where bedroom, living area, and an extravagant private infinity pool glide into one another to form extraordinary platforms floating out into nature.” Sunset cocktails, spa treatments, two soft sand beaches, first-rate cuisine. It sounds like paradise, doesn’t it?
Kokomo Private Island – Fiji
The Kokomo Private Island Resort features 21 exclusive villas. If your intent is privacy and romance, it won’t get much better than this Fiji destination. You’ll have an ocean view, private pool, and direct beach access. Use your deep soaking bathtub or take an outdoor shower, as Kokomo offers indoor-outdoor (temporary) living. It’s a spa sanctuary where you can even reserve an oceanside massage.
Triple Creek Ranch – Montana, U.S.
It’s not oceanside. Instead, the Triple Creek Ranch is a Montana hideaway with “ranch resort accommodations.” Villas are replaced by elegant, romantic, and secluded log cabins. Imagine cozying up by the fire and forgetting about the rest of the world for a few days. Perfection!
How Many People Reach the 20 Year Anniversary Milestone?
Warren Buffett says, “it takes 20 years to build a reputation, and five minutes to ruin it.” We’d like to think that you’re rock solid if you hit the 20 year anniversary milestone.
Couples that reach their 20th beat the odds in many ways. When you look at divorces worldwide, the average duration until that paperwork is filed comes in under 20.
|Location||Average Marriage Duration (Divorced Couples)|
|New York City||Just over 12|
|Ottawa||Just under 14|
Better years ahead
But, all scary divorce statistics aside, are you aware that nearly 60% of married couples make it to their 20 year anniversary? There are so many off-hand remarks regarding half of all marriages calling it quits, but 60% is pretty impressive, and it’s getting even better.
The divorce rate has been steadily declining in the U.S. since 2011. Couples are entering into partnerships with their eyes wide open. In fact, partners are so cautious that the marriage rate has also recently dropped. From 2018 to 2019, American weddings decreased by more than 5%.
What does all of this mean for you? Probably nothing if you’re still happily married after 20 years. But the fact that you’ve successfully navigated some of the most challenging years together should give you even more reason to celebrate!
Some Celebrities That Hit the Big 2-0 Milestone
Just as many people are under the illusion that the divorce rate is so much higher than it actually is, the idea of enduring celebrity marriages has been discounted over the years.
But there are plenty of Hollywood couples that, like you, have made it through the good times and bad, racking up 20 and beyond.
Famous couples who have already celebrated their 20th anniversary:
- Victoria and David Beckham
- Faith Hill and Tim McGraw
- Jerry and Jessica Seinfeld
- Brooke Shields and Chris Henchy
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick
- Colin and Livia Firth
- Cindy Crawford and Randy Gerber
- Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness
- Will and Jada Pinkett Smith
Just a heads up, we sometimes get a few bucks if you purchase some of the items linked from this page. It’s how we keep the lights on. Thanks for your support!