If you’re approaching a decade of marriage, then our 10 year anniversary guide will point you in the right direction for the big celebration.
Do you know that your anniversary flower is a daffodil? Or that the modern U.S. gift is the same as the anniversary stone? You might also find it surprising that quite a few big-name celebrities have recently celebrated ten years as well, and we’re going to cover it all.
10 Year Anniversary Facts
- Anniversary Stone: Diamond or Blue Sapphire
- Anniversary Flower: Daffodil
- Modern U.S. Gift: Diamond Jewelry
- Traditional U.S. Gift: Tin or Aluminum
- Traditional U.K. Gift: Tin
How Many People Reach the 10th Anniversary Milestone?
Sometimes marriage gets a bad rap. Many people like to talk about failed unions instead of long-lasting ones. But the divorce rate is actually declining, so 10 year anniversary celebrations are much more common.
We’ve looked at several sources, all revealing a drop in divorces, particularly since the 1980s. After the turn of the 21st century, three out of four couples made it to the big ten mark, and that number is slowly rising.
The U.S. state with long-lasting unions
Did you know that more Illinois-based couples are likely to make it to their 10 year anniversaries? That’s because Illinois has the lowest divorce rate in the country. Just 1.3 people per 1,000 population are battling it out in Illinois courts for custody and division of assets.
Can you guess some of the other states with low divorce rates?
Behind Illinois is Massachusetts, Texas, Iowa, and Georgia.
10 Year Anniversary Gifts
Couples who make it to 10 year anniversaries deserve more than just a hearty congratulations. It’s a big deal to hit the first-decade mark, primarily because the first few years are the most challenging.
Eight years is the average for U.S. divorces, so 10 is a real achievement. That’s why it makes sense that valuable diamonds commemorate the 10th anniversary.
Double-duty diamonds for anniversaries
Diamonds are both the 10 year anniversary gemstone and the contemporary U.S. gift theme, while tin or aluminum are traditional choices. The sparkling jewels, often part of engagement rings as well, represent longevity and love. What could be more romantic to start your double-digit years?
There’s another gemstone option for 10th anniversaries, though. You could go with blue sapphires, which are the number one choice for 5 year anniversaries and 25 year anniversaries. If you started a tradition with a sapphire anniversary at year five, you could expand on it for ten.
It might seem strange to put diamonds for modern 10 year anniversary gifts and the traditional tin or aluminum themes in the same category. But are you aware that tin and aluminum represent durability and flexibility?
When you look at it that way, either one is just as romantic as diamonds, as long as you pick the proper gift. That’s where our 10 year anniversary guide can be a gamechanger.
The 10 Year Anniversary Success Stories
Celebrity and longevity don’t always go hand in hand. But there are quite a few famous couples that are still going strong, even after ten years.
The following are a dozen celebrity marriages that have recently passed the 10 year anniversary mark.
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban
- Beyoncé and Jay-Z
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – Prince William and Kate Middleton
- Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart
- John Krasinski and Emily Blunt
- Kevin Jonas and Danielle Jonas
- Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen
- Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy
- Andy Roddick and Brooklyn Decker
- Mark Wahlberg and Rhea Durham
- Carrie Underwood and Mike Fisher
- Peter Sarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal
FAQs – 10 Year Anniversary Party
Did you know that the 10 year anniversary is one of the most celebrated along with 25 years?
If you’re approaching a decade, you probably have more questions than what gemstone is traditional? So, we thought we’d answer a few frequently asked questions about 10th anniversary parties and commemorations.
Should you plan your own 10 year anniversary party?
When you get to 25 years, you might have children excited about throwing you a big silver celebration. At ten years, though, it’s perfectly acceptable to plan your own party unless you have family or friends who want to take the reins.
What are some traditional décor ideas for a 10th anniversary celebration?
There aren’t any written rules you have to abide by these days. If you appreciate a more traditional approach, then you’ll find that most 10th anniversary color schemes are blue and silver. As far as floral arrangements, daffodils are the flower of choice to commemorate a blissful decade. But you can be an anniversary rebel and take an entirely different route, as anything goes as long as you and your spouse are on board.
Do you have some ideas to make a 10th anniversary party extra-special?
The sky’s the limit with what you can do for your ten-year celebration. But a few tips and tricks include:
- Use photos, similar floral arrangements, and other décor from your wedding. If you have a similar guest list, they’ll get a kick out of revisiting that special day with you.
- Duplicate your wedding invitation for your 10 year anniversary party.
- Incorporate tin in your guest favors, like tin bottles or picture frames.
- Celebrate everyone else as well – whether married or single, use photos or design a slideshow that includes all of your guests with memories from the past decade.
- Don’t feel that you have to take the elegant route. You can have fun replicating a formal wedding in your backyard or even at a park or the beach.
How do couples celebrate 10th anniversaries without parties?
There aren’t any steadfast rules for 10 year anniversaries, party or not. Just have fun with it. But if you need a bit of inspiration, check out our gift guide, and here are a few things you can do to make the big ten extra special.
- Honeymoon part Deux – do it all over again, visiting the same place, hotel, etc.
- Rely on a different meaning of diamond and visit a diamond-rated resort, hotel, or restaurant.
- Take a class or participate in a new experience – cooking, wine tasting, foreign language, beer-making.
- Throw a party exclusively for you and your wedding party. If you had a rehearsal dinner, go back to the same restaurant.
- Go all-in with 10 year anniversary tradition – tin, diamonds, and daffodils.